Author Topic: A Rant about Linux  (Read 23623 times)

MAG

Re: A Rant about Linux
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »
'There are no viruses for Linux' is (to my limited knowledge) a true statement.

However (again, to my limited knowledge) it is not the same as 'bad things associated with malware don't happen under Linux'.

Browser hijacks happen, as a quick search on the ubuntu forum will reveal. They always seem very easy to remedy under Linux, but if you don't happen to know how they will still spoil your day.

Cross platform malware (java/flash exploits) are presumably relevant (at least that's how I read it), though presumably more limited in scope.

If you're really ill-advised or incautious I gather you can even let yourself be persuaded to install a trojan such as BackDoor.Wirenet.1 and have all your passwords stolen.

So I think there can be other reasons for an anti-malware scan of a linux OS (Home folder at least) than Old-Polacks suggested 'email to be forwarded to Windows computers'.

Ill-advised and incautious people exist, and some no doubt use Linux.

Pax Vobiscum
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:43:39 PM by mag »

Dch48

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »
I like Android, I hate Linux

I like spaghetti, I hate pasta.

Does that make sense?

No, neither does your post.
It makes more than yours and is far less off topic. Spaghetti  IS pasta, Android is not Linux even if it did branch off from it. It's become different enough to be a different animal. Like Firefox is not Netscape and I am not my Grandfather.

Android has evolved to the point where it's a better OS than Linux.

Spaghetti is better than pasta?

That makes even less sense than your previous post.
Where did I say that? I said " Spaghetti IS pasta".

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »

Does that make sense?

It makes more than yours and is far less off topic. Spaghetti  IS pasta, Android is not Linux even if it did branch off from it. It's become different enough to be a different animal. Like Firefox is not Netscape and I am not my Grandfather.

Now you're getting it!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »

Does that make sense?

Now you're getting it!
To repeat. Spaghetti is pasta but Android is NOT Linux even though it grew out of it to begin with.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

Does that make sense?

Now you're getting it!
To repeat. Spaghetti is pasta but Android is NOT Linux even though it grew out of it to begin with.

Android has not grown out of Linux- it is based on the Linux kernel. It is as much Linux as spaghetti is pasta.

So are fusilli, tagliatelle, lasagne and linguine.

How can you say you don't like pasta without defining which types of pasta?

Or, to drop the metaphor, what incarnation of Linux do you hate? Linux on your set top TV box, Linux on your printer, Linux in your router, or Linux on the server serving up this page?

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 01:32:04 AM »
Linux on a PC, especially Mint. I tried to get my wireless card working in that for over 6 hours and finally gave up. When I tried Ubuntu, I did have it working after about 2 hours of trying but I just don't like the OS at all. Linux just does not like the Broadcom 4318 card. Android on my tablet, on the other hand, works very well and I like it. I still say though that it has evolved so far from it's roots that it can't be called Linux any more.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 08:11:09 AM »
Linux on a PC, especially Mint. I tried to get my wireless card working in that for over 6 hours and finally gave up. When I tried Ubuntu, I did have it working after about 2 hours of trying but I just don't like the OS at all. Linux just does not like the Broadcom 4318 card. Android on my tablet, on the other hand, works very well and I like it. I still say though that it has evolved so far from it's roots that it can't be called Linux any more.

Then you need to be specific and say you like spaghetti but not cannelloni.

Android has not evolved from its roots. it still uses the Linux kernel, as do the Linux distributions you mention.

The reason your card works is an engineer configured it on the table before it left the factory, right?

And the reason it doesn't work in Debian based Linux distributions is you don't have the skills to get the available driver working with the Linux kernel. Linux doesn't like my card is nonsense since the fact that it works in Android shows that the required driver will work with the Linux kernel.

http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

So basically you like spaghetti as long as it's cooked for you in a nice sauce with a bit of cheese on top by a good chef, but you hate cannelloni because you've never been able to open the packet.  ::)

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »

Then you need to be specific and say you like spaghetti but not cannelloni.

Android has not evolved from its roots. it still uses the Linux kernel, as do the Linux distributions you mention.

The reason your card works is an engineer configured it on the table before it left the factory, right?

And the reason it doesn't work in Debian based Linux distributions is you don't have the skills to get the available driver working with the Linux kernel. Linux doesn't like my card is nonsense since the fact that it works in Android shows that the required driver will work with the Linux kernel.

http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

So basically you like spaghetti as long as it's cooked for you in a nice sauce with a bit of cheese on top by a good chef, but you hate cannelloni because you've never been able to open the packet.  ::)
I did all of those things short of the NDIS wrapper. I didn't want to mess with that since I didn't have to resort to it in Ubuntu. Ubuntu worked fine, I just didn't like the UI. Mint probably also works fine on machines that have a different wireless card. I just don't like Linux but I do like Android. Saying Android is Linux is like saying Windows 7 is DOS. They came from the same base and still incorporate some of the elements but are very different animals.

Also, I hate Cannelloni because I don't like ricotta filled pasta. A little of it in Lasagna is great but when it's the primary filling, no thanks.:-)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
Goodness me, what a performance, ...

Go do a Virus Scan or something guy's ( Not FWF ), I'm embarrassed for people looking for advice about avast4linuxworkstations.

Got that out of our Systems now ?  We are all on the same side, we just use different vehicles to travel online. Pretty simple concept.

Maybe this pitiful little unix/linux sub-forum supporting a pitiful but effective scanner can become the Focus again.

I'll never try to Blog here again, just using an RSS feed for legitimate questions.

Outa here, almost permanently, ...

dschinn1001

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »

Hmmm, Android is not the same like Linux - just a little proof here: how can I make Android more safe, - when root is switched off or disabled by default - before the first login into Android ?! - and not every 'droid - User knows about anti-malware-apps at e.g. googleplay - one needs first to know the terms to search for and find them there.

blazzer12

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

You just had a bad experience with Linux. The card works on Android because it came bundled with your tablet. It's not like Broadcom released an official driver for Linux it but didn't work. Manufacturers don't care (enough) to release a driver for Linux. You should be grateful that Linux community has even circumvented that to an extent. And things are changing rapidly in Linux favor!

The evolution of Android you are talking about is just better support from hardware manufacturers. And Linux is closing in everyday!

EDIT : I think I just replied to a post from Jun 09. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:16:13 PM by blazzer12 »

Dch48

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »

You just had a bad experience with Linux. The card works on Android because it came bundled with your tablet. It's not like Broadcom released an official driver for Linux it but didn't work. Manufacturers don't care (enough) to release a driver for Linux. You should be grateful that Linux community has even circumvented that to an extent. And things are changing rapidly in Linux favor!

The evolution of Android you are talking about is just better support from hardware manufacturers. And Linux is closing in everyday!

EDIT : I think I just replied to a post from Jun 09. Sorry about that.
The card in the PC also came bundled with it. It's pretty well known that that particular wireless card takes some work to get functioning in Linux. Other Broadcom cards seem to work better. As I said, it worked in Ubuntu after downloading special drivers and patches but I don't like the UI. I tried Mint because it was supposed to have a more Windows like UI but I couldn't get the card to work there at all.  I never intended to really use Linux anyway, I was just playing around with it. I'm sticking with Windows all the way.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 08:01:45 AM »
I'm sticking with Windows all the way.

I think we can take it that this has always been your attitude and you were just looking for an excuse to bash Linux.

Your chip has worked in Debian (the distro I use) since the Squeeze release, so for two and a half years at least

https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx