Author Topic: aswRvrt.sys hangs in safe mode  (Read 15403 times)

mcbain

aswRvrt.sys hangs in safe mode
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:32:17 AM »
Hello,

I seem to have the same problem as others with aswrvrt.sys. Can't enter safe mode, BSOD, etc. It happened last night after a windows update.I have followed the directions poster here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=120531.0

And attached is the FRST document. Just out of curiosity, what magic do you do? Pull it off the whitelist? I don't have the knowledge to mess around with it myself, but I am genuinely curious.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:54:06 PM by mcbain »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: aswRvrt.sys hangs in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
Nope, I just disable all the registry keys for the Avast services so a re-install will be required
I thought MS had pulled that KB

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same USB as FRST
Run Frst as before and press fix
On completion try a normal reboot

mcbain

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »
That did the trick. I have uninstalled AVAST, made sure the system was updated, and then reinstalled AVAST. A couple of trial boots and she still works.

You are indeed a miracle worker.

Thanks again!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
My pleasure, keep safe

PetW

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
I have similar issue (can't access safe modes or system recovery and hangs on aswRvrt.sys) and wanted to already come prepared with first log and all... except that I can't even make the first log. When I run the booting USB, it hangs on "Searching for Windows installations". I'm about to cry lol  :(

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »
Searching for windows installations does not sound good, what version of windows is this

PetW

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:06:40 PM »
Searching for windows installations does not sound good, what version of windows is this
Windows 7 64. I can get to "Select input language" screen, then in next screen see that it shows Windows 7 (yet 0 MB) and then it starts "Searching for Windows installation". :/

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:27 PM »
There may be a problem with the boot config or MFT

Download Peazip to the desktop 
Run and install the programme
As it installs this page will show, deselect the AVG ticks
Press decline and it will then install cleanly 

Download the following files to the desktop .. Right click the links and select save as...then select desktop 

Rufus

OTLPE_standard

Right click OTLPE on your desktop and select  ..Open as archive 

Select OTLPE standard 

Click Extract, ensure that desktop is selected 

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus

Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon.

Press Start Burn

Once the USB has burnt then

• Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to the flash drive.

• Reboot your system using the boot USB you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from USB follow the steps here
  • As the  Programme needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads  :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
  • Locate the flash drive and run FSRT
  • The tool will start to run.

• When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

PetW

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »
Followed the instructions very closely, the USB got created without any problems but it just doesn't seem to load what's on it. I definitely set up booting in Bios correctly since I already booted from USB today (in attempt to make log like I said earlier), but doesn't work on this newly created USB :( It tries to load windows even though USB with Reatogo is on Priority to load :(

Managed to get Reatogo to run after I just burnt a good old CD instead of USB. However, got blue error screen during loading Reatogo (after XP screen) that said there there's been a problem detected, to check for viruses and harddrive etc + error: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA528, 0xC0000034, 0x0000000, 0x00000000)

Got through error screen after changing SATA mode to IDE in Bios. Tried running FRST but it says "FRST.exe is not a valid win32 application". One problem after another :( Tried opening up OTLPE but when it asks me to select Windows folder, the Local Disc icon expands to nothing, as if there wasn't anything on Local Disc :/

EDIT#2873632: (sorry for being annoying :( ) I also tried just wiping everything clean and restoring to factory settings however my ACER eRecovery was getting stuck at very first "Please wait" screen and goodle fu said "your HDD is dead". Which made sense with the empty Local Disc when trying to open OTLPE. But then I tried eRecovery again but with IDE mode for SATA instead, and it atually went through to another screen (in eRecovery). So my HDD is not dead? Really scared to do anything :(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:52:36 AM by PetW »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 03:33:53 AM »
hi PetW,

essexboy will get back to you as soon as he can, so please be patient.  At least you seem to have a working hard drive for now.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

PetW

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 04:39:48 AM »
hi PetW,

essexboy will get back to you as soon as he can, so please be patient.  At least you seem to have a working hard drive for now.
Ahh sorry, didn't wanna rush anyone, was more of brainstorming to myself lol. Since I was able to get the laptop at least somehow functional, I'm attatching FRST log (as following in steps in post #4 here)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
OK we will try this first

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Run FRST as before and press fix
On completion reboot to normal windows

PetW

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
OK we will try this first

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Run FRST as before and press fix
On completion reboot to normal windows
Did as instructed but got the same BSOD when trying to get to normal Windows. Should I try Safe Modes?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
Yes try safe mode.  What did you do prior to the non booting ?  Windows updates ?

PetW

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 03:37:41 PM »
Yes try safe mode.  What did you do prior to the non booting ?  Windows updates ?
Safe modes didn't work (though they get stuck at classpnp.sys now). I don't think I had any Windows Updates since I specifically turned off auto updates few weeks ago. Was sitting on internet, youtube, streaming tv shows. Turned off normally, after getting back from work the next day the laptop wan't starting. Could just do reset to factory settings since I can access it now, have my files backed