Author Topic: Is it normal that the phone triggers the anti theft whenever doing a restart?  (Read 5818 times)

Jhervin

I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand that has the Avast mobile security with the Anti Theft.
Whenever I do a restart or powering back on the phone from a power off state the Anti Theft feature triggers.
I think the program thinks that the sim card was changed which is not.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hello,

as far as I know the Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual sim device.
Since we can't get clear readings of the sim card(s) used in dual sim devices, we can't support them. sorry.

Werner

Jhervin

I have a lenovo A800 phone, which is a dual sim as well. With the same avast on my Samsung Galaxy Grand. But whenever I switch off the phone and turn it back on the anti theft is not giving me any alarms or notification that it was lost or stolen?? I've checked both phones I have and both are running with the same settings. Only the Grand triggers the anti theft. Also I'm using the Grand with just a single sim.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hello,
you can still use Mobile Security to it's full extent - and Anti-Theft if you can live with some false alarms or probably no alert although a sim card change took place.
It may work better on some dual devices and worse on others.

Regards,

Werner
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:58:01 AM by Werner »

reinhardholzner

what werner is saying is true. the behavior is simply... undefined. it can work or not but we can not influence it. so its not supported on our side.

kmoo

I'm having this exact same problem with my HTC Droid DNA, which is not a dual SIM device (to the best of my limited knowledge).  Whenever I restart my phone, both friends (listed in the anti-theft setup) get an SMS with a message like this:

"avast! Anti-Theft (www.avast.com): A SIM card change was detected on <name>'s mobile phone. The current phone number of the phone is the sender number of this SMS. Details will follow once location tracking is done."

and another described like this:
"The next SMS has a really long URL, lots of numbers, and a link to a map."

I have never changed the SIM card, nor have I ever installed another anti-theft app. My friends are becoming annoyed; if I can't put an end to these false SMSs, I'm going to have to uninstall anti-theft. Help?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:46:25 PM by kmoo »

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Have you opened Anti-Theft meanwhile? In rare cases the device looses contact with the SIM card for a brief moment. Anti-Theft registers it as SIM change event and marks the phone as lost.

If you open Anti-Theft, it will go back to "found" and the messages should stop.

kmoo

Yep, I have.  But it still happens.  Here's what happens:

1. I restart and/or power off&on my phone.
2. When it restarts, it has an odd problem:  WiFi keeps turning itself on. I turn it off, and it immediately turns itself on. I do this for a bit, then finally it sticks.  Once I had to power off and back on to get this weird behavior to stop.
3. My friends get that SMS.
4. The Notifications tab in my avast account web page shows this notice:
A position update was received (caused by a SIM change event), please check Anti-Theft/GPS...

I just did a test, and all of the above happened again.  And this time these two additional things happened:

5. I briefly noticed that my device status showed as STOLEN on my avast account web page (before I lost the web page and had to clear the cache and restart the browser to be able to fire it up again...). (This might have happened before too.)

6. I received this email:

NOTE: Information email only - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY

The position of your device HTC6435LVW has been received.
Owner: N/A
Accuracy: 150.0 meters
Cell ID: <4 numbers>
Latitude: <lat>"
Longitude: <long>"
Timestamp: Aug 30, 2013 12:56:08 AM CEST
Show device in avast! Account portal
Show device in Google Maps

So it really does appear that every time I restart my phone, that triggers a "SIM change event".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:56:43 AM by kmoo »