Author Topic: Avast and cookies  (Read 4925 times)

briareos_kerensky

Avast and cookies
« on: May 08, 2005, 10:41:05 AM »
Hi all,

I made sure I read everthing that could help me before posting, but haven't found nothing...I had the McAfee Viruscan + ZoneAlarm for quite along time, but after the last OS reinstall (Win2k, updated to SP4) the McAfee produced "spikes" of CPU utilizations  which lasted for 2-3 seconds every 30-45 minutes, locking the machine iduring those seconds, so I installed Avast, updated it and then unistalled the McAfee antivirus.
I read everything about Avast + Zone Alarm, set everything as I read but I still have a problem (well, the only problem): forum cookies. I made sure that Mozilla 1.7.7 and ZoneAlarm 5.5.094.000 (speaking about dot releases) will accept whatever cookie from forums, but apparently it didn't worked out...basically, I visit the forum main page (and I'm logged in) but when I clikc on a thread I found myself logged out and have to log in again. I never had this problem before, so I suspect it's something with Avast Home...any suggestion?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Avast and cookies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 12:11:54 PM »
Avast has nothing to do with your cookies

It could be 1) cookie settings in IE
                  2) cookie settings in Mozilla 1.7.7
                  3) cookie settings in Zonealarm

I to was experiencing this problem I found that setting in the above mentioned programs

need to adjusted to suit. I have cookie protection in IE off privacy settings in ZA off, have a

look at your browser cookie setting and adjust to suit. Having said that I scan for tracking

cookies regularly using Ad-aware, Spybot( gives you the option on safe cookies to keep)

The most obtrusive problem was being caused by ZA. turn off privacy settings fixed this for me
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:40:28 PM »
Check this link http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

avast! Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mjrtoo

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:31:59 AM »
Check this link http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

avast! Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

I do have ZoneAlarm Pro and when I follow this procedure I cannot connect to two specific devices.

1)  I have a control system that serves web pages, this in on my local network as 192.168.1.100.  When configured as a proxy with loopback address and port 12080,  the browser cannot connect to the page.  If I remove the loopback proxy and set the connection to Autodetect it works fine.

2)  Exactly the same issue with my office's outlook exchange server connection from my house.  I get cannot open page error with the loopback proxy enabled.

If I set privacy control to off in ZoneAlarm does webshield work without having to do a loopback proxy?

Thanks for the help!

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 09:44:45 AM »
If I set privacy control to off in ZoneAlarm does webshield work without having to do a loopback proxy?

Yes, this should work without a problem. You can control your cookies directly in Internet Explorer or Mozilla browsers. Also you can check this FAQ for instructions how to setup WebShield as a localproxy and direct it to use some other "upstream" proxy on your network.

http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6870

mjrtoo

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
I use other apps that do a better job for these things anyway.

Thanks for the reply and the info!

Matt