Author Topic: Screensaver timing??  (Read 7138 times)

Hugger1

Screensaver timing??
« on: May 07, 2005, 02:49:44 PM »
I'm using the Avast screensaver.  But somehow it keeps changing the idle time before it kicks in.  I like to have my screensavers kick in at about 9 minutes.  But I check the screensaver when it doesn't kick in after a while and the idle time is usually set quite high, never less than 90 minutes.  I've seen it as high as 105 minutes.  I reset it to what I want, but then a while later, sometimes hours or a day, its back to the higher idle time.  And yes, I click the "apply" and "OK" buttons to save my settings.  Does anyone have any ideas what is going on and / or how I can get it to do what I want? 

What operating system are you using? Windows XP Pro
What version of avast! are you using? 4.6 Home)
What version of VPS file are you using?  Compilation date 6/05/2005 version 0518-4
What is your basic hardware configuration? Intel Pentium III 550 MHz, 640 MB RAM)
How do you connect to Internet? High Speed with Bell Sympatico.
What is your e-mail client? Yahoo Canada
Do you use some other security software? Which one? Kerio Personal Firewall
What are the steps to reproduce the bug again?  No idea
Do any error messages appear? If yes, what exactly do they say?  No error messages.

niko

Re: Screensaver timing??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 05:26:54 PM »
Hi Hugger1 and welcome,
When you change for an another screensaver, is it the problem?

niko

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 05:30:09 PM »
Sorry, I've forgotten "is it the SAME problem?"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 05:40:14 PM »
Hugger, which is the screensaver that you're using 'inside' of avast screensaver settings?
If you change this screensaver, will it help?
Are you seeing this 'changed' timeout into a limited user account or an administrator one?
The best things in life are free.

Hugger1

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 07:43:52 PM »
I always use the same screensaver, Starfield.
===>>??When you change for an another screensaver, is it the same problem? 

I use the Starfield screensaver.   I always use the same screensaver.  I've tried others, but they don't work well with the scan that Avast does in screensaver mode.  It's in the admin account.
===>Which is the screensaver that you're using 'inside' of avast screensaver settings?
If you change this screensaver, will it help?
Are you seeing this 'changed' timeout into a limited user account or an administrator one? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 08:21:24 PM »
Hugger, the Starfield screensaver should run perfectly with avast...
It's weird, avast! can't manage the timeouts as far I know...
I'm thinking that, maybe, you're running any registry cleaner, or spyware monitor that could change the Registry settings, but, as you can see, I can't imagine what's happening and how to solve it. Maybe another user could help. Sorry.

Hugger1

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 03:21:32 AM »
I'm using a registryccleaaner and a spyware monitor.   Would that do it?

===>>The Starfield screensaver should run perfectly with avast...It's weird, avast! can't manage the timeouts as far I know...I'm thinking that, maybe, you're running any registry cleaner, or spyware monitor that could change the Registry settings, but, as you can see, I can't imagine what's happening and how to solve it.

kamulko

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 03:32:52 AM »
Hugger, your problem is strange. The first of this type I see. Not related with Avast!, I know that some screensavers can take hidden malwares. In your system32 folder which other screensaver do you have? Have you installed other s.savers before having this problem?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 05:36:47 AM »
I'm using a registryccleaaner and a spyware monitor.   Would that do it?
No, they shouldn't...
But, what is avoiding you to save your energy options?
I don't believe it's avast! It's weird. I'm trying to think in your problem. Maybe other wiser user could help you meanwhile.

MFB

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 05:48:14 AM »
Theres no way avast! screensaver can extend the idle time.  Still I don't see how the idle time can extend to a time that long  :-\.  Not saying if it's a hijack attempt but it is possible.  How about giving us a Hijack log?

Hugger1

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 10:38:39 PM »
I have the following screensavers in my system32 folder:. scrnsav, ss3dfo, ssbezier, ssmarque, ssmypics, ssmyst, sspipes & ssstars

I previously tried other screensavers with Avast, but I find Starfield works best.

In your system32 folder which other screensaver do you have? Have you installed other s.savers before having this problem?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 10:44:35 PM by Hugger1 »

Hugger1

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 10:41:20 PM »
I haven't done a hijack log in years.  Can someone refresh my memory on how to do one?

Not saying if it's a hijack attempt but it is possible.  How about giving us a Hijack log?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 10:44:02 PM »
Check out this link - HiJackThis Tutorial
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security