Author Topic: Can't get the after scan selection to actually work  (Read 2163 times)

woodsd1

Can't get the after scan selection to actually work
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »
I ran a quick and full scan because my internet explorer wasn't responding when I tried to do anything, including close the windows I had open. I had to physically remove the battery to shut it down, because I couldn't get the Windows 8 (ie windows HATE) to stay selected to restart (or anything else). After I shut it down I ran the scans and got a message that certain files couldn't be scanned. the quick scan said they were password protected, the full scan didn't specify, just that they couldn't be scanned. When I tried to put them in the chest, nothing happened, I tried all the choices other than do nothing and the drop down would come, but no matter how I tried to select an option, nothing happened. How do I put these files in the chest?!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't get the after scan selection to actually work
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
When I tried to put them in the chest, nothing happened,
of course.... since they are not infected.   ;)     this is just a scan error message

avast is a antivirus program and will only take action on infected files
when infected files are found avast give them a malware name

files that can not be scanned .... is this forums most frequently asked question ...about once a week, so plenty info if you forum search

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Can't get the after scan selection to actually work
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
I ran a quick and full scan because my internet explorer wasn't responding when I tried to do anything, including close the windows I had open. I had to physically remove the battery to shut it down, because I couldn't get the Windows 8 (ie windows HATE) to stay selected to restart (or anything else). After I shut it down I ran the scans and got a message that certain files couldn't be scanned. the quick scan said they were password protected, the full scan didn't specify, just that they couldn't be scanned. When I tried to put them in the chest, nothing happened, I tried all the choices other than do nothing and the drop down would come, but no matter how I tried to select an option, nothing happened. How do I put these files in the chest?!
What version of IE are you running?

An obscure fact of IE is that it is used to run all windows on a system.  If that goes out or acts wonky, then the entire system is affected.  This began years ago when Microsoft integrated IE as version 2 when Win 95 was first released.

Have you tried System Restore yet?  Note:  You'll need to disable avast! self-protection module first before running SR. 

Once successful, re-enable SR.  Another option is to uninstall and then re-install IE (Option available only if you have upgraded to the newest version) OR run IE without add-ons.  If necessary, (disable) remove them all.

btw, Pondus is correct.  I'd look at the above processes first.  Not only should we adhere to the motto 'to do no harm', users should also.  Be careful what you do here.

[EDIT:]  added additional qualification
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:04:20 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801