Author Topic: Support not providing solutions  (Read 6705 times)

Colin

Support not providing solutions
« on: September 30, 2003, 01:48:32 AM »
I have to now say that the support team is not providing solutions to the problems. I see from other problems that the Avast team is looking to all areas to fix the "SYMPTOMS" but not the root problem. The "solution" offered to my NT4 problem with Avast hanging on startup is known in my circles as a "Workaround" and most definitely not a solution!!!
I changed nothing on my machine EXCEPT the Avast update on 26 Sept. The problem started right after that. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to make the right deduction !
I never received any form of answer to my questions regarding what services are required by Avast to do its work. I still dont know why it requires (or whether it really does need) either of  Services and Controller App or Distributed Com services to actually run. Allowing both of these apps to run is not good as they both allow the use of other programs to access the internet which weakens the defence of my firewall.
I think the Avast product is basically good - I am just very doubtful about the debugging side and release support .
Colin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Support not providing solutions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 03:15:35 AM »
I think the Avast product is basically good - I am just very doubtful about the debugging side and release support .
Colin

Sorry, happy users desagree with you.  >:(
Avast! have the best support team and the best forum  :P

Regarding this, Vlk, Pavel, Peter, Igor try to show some of your hidden power  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 04:30:27 AM »
Hey, I´m just try to help...
Take a look at
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=13252;start=msg84804#msg84804
Maybe you can get some information about NT.
If not, sorry  :-[

techie101

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 05:28:42 AM »
I have to now say that the support team is not providing solutions to the problems. I see from other problems that the Avast team is looking to all areas to fix the "SYMPTOMS" but not the root problem.
Ok Cowboy...Hold on a minute!  The Avast Team does a fine job.  I have been using Avast for some time now, and am a regular in this forum.  As with any program, developers attempt to put out the best release after Beta, but sometimes "bugs" do creep back in.  The Avast Team addresses each and every problem in future releases as it can.  The entire purpose of this forum is so that each user can communicate with the Avast Team, and each other in order to insure that "bugs" DO NOT go undetected.  I don't know how much you are involved in programs such as Avast, but it takes time to put a "fix" into a new release.  Thus, we try to treat the "symtoms" and use "workarounds" as you called them to keep the system running.

The "solution" offered to my NT4 problem with Avast hanging on startup is known in my circles as a "Workaround" and most definitely not a solution!!!
But did the "workaround" fix the "hang"?  It appears it did....so why are you complaining!

I changed nothing on my machine EXCEPT the Avast update on 26 Sept. The problem started right after that. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to make the right deduction !
Join the rest of us....Rocket Scientists.  Think you are alone.  We are here because we have had difficulty with Avast but we have faith in it.  It is by far one of the best AVs around.  You want better...find it!

I never received any form of answer to my questions regarding what services are required by Avast to do its work. I still dont know why it requires (or whether it really does need) either of  Services and Controller App or Distributed Com services to actually run.
NO, you do not need Services and Controller App for Avast to function.
As far as I know, neither do you need Distributed Com services.
If you use a firewall, set it to alert you when any of the above mentioned programs attempt to accesss the internet.  Then you can associate them with the program that they are attempting to use.  

Allowing both of these apps to run is not good as they both allow the use of other programs to access the internet which weakens the defence of my firewall.
Avast will release new updated programs when ready, and databases are updated regularly.
You just received plenty of support.  Satisfied now?

Colin, we are here to help each other, not defame the very ones who are trying to provide answers......not necessarily the "solution".....just answers.

Glad to meet you.  Please try to see it as we do.

Thanks for your comments.
 :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 05:31:58 AM by techie101 »

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 09:53:59 AM »
most of us here will disagree with you  :( :(
for me, Alwil team provided solutions to all the problems I faced with/regarding Avast4..  ;D ;D
Kindly check http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1308
MW

trigger

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 10:29:12 AM »
i got plenty and quick responses on my problem also. and, most important, my problem got fixed. so no complaints here. funny how people allways blame the software they install, never the software they install it on... as if windows itself is bugfree and stable (Yeah, that'll be the day!).

And YES, I also still use windows.

Peter

Colin

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 02:39:19 AM »
I believe I have to respond to some of the stuff said. First to Techie101:
I have been involved in developing programmes of considerably higher complexity than Avast - admittedly not in the direct coding but in the managing of the product in the field. So I believe that I am pretty much in the loop there - some of the stuff we put out secured the national bank - interbank transfers - so I REALLY understand the consequences of a screwup - because when it went wrong , my phone rang!
As to the workaround vs solution - OK, but will someone put up his hand and SAY that the problem is being looked at? All I got was - well try this delay startup app to solve the problem (it didnt, NT did not like it at all!)
As to the question on Services and Controller app and the Distr Com serv, this is the first time I received any answer whatsoever - and I have asked the question some 3 or 4 times previously I believe? Maybe now you can understand my frustration? In the meantime because it seemed to me that Avast would not perform any updates with them switched "off", I have been running with reduced firewall security. I will disable them and lets see if Avast is able to connect - my take is that it won't. I dont think I can physically limit either of them to just associate with Avast btw - I will take another look but so far have not found a way to do that.
And yes - now I have received support - my point is I had to put in an RPG to get the answers!
As to the product -  I said it before - its a good product, but please read the above and my previous notes carefully which is why I said the support is not answering the questions. This could be my fault for not setting out my questions in a brutal fashion - I don't know? In a way I do sympathise a lot with the support side - you now have at least 6 lousy Windows OS's to deal with!
I did read through a zillion posts at Wilder as per suggestion but didnt find any shining light there I am afraid.

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 03:22:46 AM »
Colin,
I do understand your point of view.  Please try to understand ours.  I do not think that asking in a "brutal" fashion will get you anywhere.

Most of us try to read all the posts and answer those that we have insight into.  It is not easy to keep track of them all.  I have personally referred posts to the Avast Team and Moderators and they have responded to the person who needed help promptly.

I hope that you will get the answers you need in the future.
Nice qetting acquainted with you, and your loop!   :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 04:54:08 AM »
Colin,
I do understand your point of view.  Please try to understand ours.  I do not think that asking in a "brutal" fashion will get you anywhere.

Most of us try to read all the posts and answer those that we have insight into.  It is not easy to keep track of them all.  I have personally referred posts to the Avast Team and Moderators and they have responded to the person who needed help promptly.

I hope that you will get the answers you need in the future.
Nice qetting acquainted with you, and your loop!   :D

Thanks techie101... You rule...
Colin, believe us: just God is perfect and without bugs and troubles...
I love avast! and won´t loose my hope in forum users...  8)