Author Topic: When I hate something, then it is that updates change settings!!!  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Anacunga

When I hate something, then it is that updates change settings!!!
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »
I consider it as an OFFENSE TO THE USER AND THE ADMIN if program updates change settings and preferences!

And the last one was one of those.

There are reasons why things like "engine and virus definitions" are set to "ask when an update is available", "show monthly reports" or "sitecorrect" is set to disabled or community settings are not set to default values.

And reactivating to delete scan logs or temporary scans is sabotage to admins work.

It's not only necessary to check each and every setting (what is time consuming) - I also have to physically visit several users that I recommended AVAST to correct the automatically changed settings.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:06:01 PM by Anacunga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: When I hate something, then it is that updates change settings!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
I don't know why this has happened to your users, in all of the time I have been using avast (over nine years), settings have been retained on program updates from within the avastUI.

Whilst this shouldn't be necessary, you could suggest that users backup their settings before doing a program update. If necessary after a program update they could import the settings. avastUI > Settings > Maintenance > Settings Backup - Back up settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
How can you know that an update is coming if you set program update to automatically?

Could please the AVAST-programmers implement to save the prefs into a file as default before (not only automatically) updating the program?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
Why set it to Auto, the default settings is Ask for program updates, that way you know when one is available.

Only the virus definitions updates are set to Auto by default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

daswaff

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »
I don't know why this has happened to your users, in all of the time I have been using avast (over nine years), settings have been retained on program updates from within the avastUI.

I have had program updates change my prefs...  Not every time, but occasionally. Both in XP and in Win7, I always double check... 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:29:31 PM by daswaff »