Author Topic: help me deciper a full scan report?  (Read 3603 times)

vespr

help me deciper a full scan report?
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
hi. i'm new to Avast! having used MacKeeper all these years until they upgraded their virus definitions and required me to upgrade my 'lifetime' license, which i did not do.

so, there was a period of about  6 months to a year where i was completely without protection.

last week, something really odd happened: while working on my my Mac, it suddenly demanded to be force shut down, in english and several other languages. i've been a Mac user for 12+ years and this has never happened, so the first thing that came to mind was, did my Mac just detect malware?

sometime before the alert and up till now, my Mac has been really slow, if it has not been crashing repeatedly due to Shockwave, although i doubt this is due to conflicting flash (I've enabled Shockwave in my /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin, disabled the one that came with Chrome and set it to Always Allowed) i understand viruses can be a cause for freezing and crashes.

so, i downloaded Avast, and this is the report that came up. i don't understand a thing, so i don't know how to proceed. Pondus, in my first accidental post to a non-Mac section said it appears to be a scan of errors.

first of all, is it a scan of errors? is it something else? thanks much.

Offline specimen9999

Re: help me deciper a full scan report?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
If the screen you saw is the one attached to this message, that's just how Macs crash, most likely hardware related.

Your scan report is just a bunch of files that gave out errors while reading them, but they aren't malware related, you can ignore them.

vespr

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
yup, that's exactly what it looked like. believe it or not, for 12 years, i had never seen my own macs crash until now:)
just a bunch of errors - all right, that's rather reassuring. thanks

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
(misunderstanding, comment removed)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:59:28 PM by specimen9999 »

vespr

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 04:06:02 AM »
specimen999,
your help was really much appreciated, and had given me some peace of mind. although i didn't know what those errors meant, im glad they're not malware, but i don't know if they meant increased vulnerability if i left them alone as i don't know how to fix them, so that played on my mind a bit. hence the choice of words: rather reassuring. i have been thinking about bringing up the second part in another post. i'm sorry if i left the impression i was skeptical of your response, or upset you in any way as i didn't experience any of that. this is my instinctive response to your using the word, 'misunderstanding', and then deleting your comment - i'm not sure what to think, and what you misunderstood. all in all, you did answer my question and well enough. :)

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
I meant that I should've left it that, and we shouldn't be overanalyzing these things anyway. It's all okay, there's no increased danger or vulnerability.

vespr

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
i'm a woman; that's what we do (overanalyse) ;D