Author Topic: Why does the download page link to CNET's downloads instead of Avast's own?  (Read 17677 times)

Roley

Long time no visit, Avast forums. :P

Well, it's that time again -- I got a new HP laptop running Windows 8. It came with a 7 day trial of Norton Internet Security that has expired just a few moments ago as of this writing. So naturally, I am about to uninstall it through Control Panel and load avast.

As I go on to the download page, I realized something that made me feel very uncertain if I should continue with the download process. On the main download page, the download button links to CNET's Download.com page. Immediately seeing that the download is hosted by CNET, I stopped myself from going further.

I would love to download avast, but I do not trust CNET and their recent shenanigans with how they distribute software, bundling it with unwanted software that the original installation provided by the developers never had. I fully trust avast, along with their installers, but CNET's distribution of software (regardless of what kind of software) is something one should think way more than twice before they make their decision of getting something from Download.com.

So before I continue with my procedure of installing avast, I'd like to ask two things.

1) Can I use the setup provided here?
2) If the answer to the question above is "yes," why does Avast allow CNET to be a distributor of its software? Their reputation has since plummeted, and after listening to developers and what happens to their software being distributed by CNET, I would never set foot on that site again.

Many thanks, and I hope to be able to get Avast running quickly on my new machine.

--Roley

P.S.: Here's one developer's stance on CNET/Download.com and how they manage software distribution.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Why does the download page link to CNET's downloads instead of Avast's own?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »

2) If the answer to the question above is "yes," why does Avast allow CNET to be a distributor of its software? Their reputation has since plummeted, and after listening to developers and what happens to their software being distributed by CNET, I would never set foot on that site again.
Yes you can use the setup in the link you have there.

I don't like CNET either but that's what avast use, those in the know will always download from the forum :)

After first uninstalling Norton normally remember to run their removal tool to clear out the remnants/leftovers https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us;jsessionid=0B5949F39BB1BA06CB1FBB8919B47DE5.4?entsrc=redirect_pubweb&pvid=f-home
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:00:24 AM by craigb »

ram1220

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »
 Also keep in mind that Avast now bundles Chrome in it's download. When you install Avast look very closely and uncheck the boxes for installing Chrome if you do not want it.

aztony

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 03:50:14 AM »
Posted by: Roley: why does Avast allow CNET to be a distributor of its software?

Some speculate it is all about the download count. You may not trust CNET, but a whole host of others eat their stats.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 04:17:32 AM »
Long time no visit, Avast forums. :P

Well, it's that time again -- I got a new HP laptop running Windows 8. It came with a 7 day trial of Norton Internet Security that has expired just a few moments ago as of this writing. So naturally, I am about to uninstall it through Control Panel and load avast.

As I go on to the download page, I realized something that made me feel very uncertain if I should continue with the download process. On the main download page, the download button links to CNET's Download.com page. Immediately seeing that the download is hosted by CNET, I stopped myself from going further.

I would love to download avast, but I do not trust CNET and their recent shenanigans with how they distribute software, bundling it with unwanted software that the original installation provided by the developers never had. I fully trust avast, along with their installers, but CNET's distribution of software (regardless of what kind of software) is something one should think way more than twice before they make their decision of getting something from Download.com.

So before I continue with my procedure of installing avast, I'd like to ask two things.

Many thanks, and I hope to be able to get Avast running quickly on my new machine.

--Roley

P.S.: Here's one developer's stance on CNET/Download.com and how they manage software distribution.

you can download from here
http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=FA-TAG&locale=en-ww&tag=0337VjCh
(official avast direct download)

Offline redwolfe_98

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
i checked out the "avast" download at cnet's "download.com" and it appeared to be the normal avast installer, the same as what you would get from anywhere else..

lanshark

If you update VLC, it links to download.com as well. The installer tries to trick you into installing various spyware/adware.
So, the answer is obvious. Avast makes money from sending you to download.com instead of the actual website (videolan.org)
So, Avast's auto-software update is counterproductive.
The reason we use Avast is to *avoid* spyware/adware/viruses, not to *install* them!

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Hi Ianshark,

thanks for notice. We added the VLC link to download.com yesterday as we were assured that the CNET installer was removed from VLC. We verified this and you're right, it's wrapped ;-( We will fix this with next VPS update. Regarding your question why we cooperate with CNET on updating the software:
1. we do not get any money for this
2. the main motivation is to make the updating as easy as possible (one big button) and some pages are really complicated (e.g. java.com).
3. we would also like to unify the user experience as much as possible, not sending users to java.com then winrar.com etc..
4. some software producers started blocking us due to the high traffic, and CNET has the power to sustain the demand of our 180M userbase ;-)

But we won't link to software which is wrapped in any installer, this is our hard condition.

Martin

Roley

Hello, thanks for everyone's responses. It's about time I finally got some more word about the question of interest, though.

Quote from: MartinZ
Regarding your question why we cooperate with CNET on updating the software:
1. we do not get any money for this
I know you don't. CBS does not fund anyone who puts their installer on CNET/Download.com unless there's some mutual partnership between Avast and CBS....which I doubt there's any.

2. the main motivation is to make the updating as easy as possible (one big button) and some pages are really complicated (e.g. java.com).
I wasn't aware that the update button in the Avast maintenance panel linked to an automatically run installer downloaded from CNET, I just assumed it pulled the installer from the Avast! website. Additionally, I don't think it's worth comparing Avast with Java. Java's update mechanism is a mess because, well, it's Java. You can't compare the installation of some dusty, dying plug-in (hopefully, Java is so ancient now I don't see why it's even used anymore (don't say Minecraft that's a dumb excuse)) with an application....anyway,

3. we would also like to unify the user experience as much as possible, not sending users to java.com then winrar.com etc..
Uhm.......well yeah. That's why the update button exists on Avast's maintenance panel...still doesn't help me understand why CNET is used as the download distribution

4. some software producers started blocking us due to the high traffic, and CNET has the power to sustain the demand of our 180M userbase ;-)
180M userbase or 300K userbase, regardless of the amount of people who use Avast, I don't think it should necessitate using CNET. Like I said, CNET may have the servers, but they have their ways into funding it, and one of the ways to do it is by wrapping "crapware" with the main product. Considering that the only item in interest of being downloaded is the setup.exe file, there should be a more effective means of distributing the software. Granted, if the availability of the installer was only on avast's main site, I would see why it would cause for a lot of traffic. I'm not saying the installer shouldn't be distributed to other places to download, I'm saying that there are better places to get it distributed.

Thankfully those other venues do exist, such as FileHippo. It's a shame that most people are unaware of it, and blindly redirect their cursors into CNET.

I trust Avast enough to keep their installers free of any other stuff, but still, I don't quite see the use of CNET all that justified. It might just be my naivety talking, and there could be more to why CNET's being used, which I hope I'll be able to know, because so far I'm not convinced why avast! points the download button to that ad-ridden site.

REDACTED

This is preposterous!!! I had the same concern about CNET, searched and found this 2013  topic ... still without a resolution except the Martinez waffle. Why is there still no easy way to download the free edition?

Gene K

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
Hi Roley! Downloading Avast from CNET download.com is completely safe. All you need to do is to uncheck other programs that gets offered to you before the installation. I have been using Avast for a long time since the release of version 7 and am sure everyone else have :) by having me to download it from CNET download.com.

Before you start to install Avast. Uninstall avast via add/remove and follow the instructions and after that download the norton removal tool. After you have downloaded the tool you should manually run your windows in safe mode. On windows safe mode run the norton removal tool and follow the instructions. After that install avast *(click custom installation) so you can choose which feature you want or don't want. Once the installation has finished it will do a quick start up scan. After the scan has finished do a manual restart your computer and register your copy of avast.

Note: * Before you click on custom installation, you will see below that there is a Google drop-box installation/another program being offered please un-check that box and click on custom installation.

Welcome to Avast Forum. Enjoy  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:22:15 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:10:57 AM »
But we won't link to software which is wrapped in any installer, this is our hard condition.
Thanks a lot.
The best things in life are free.