Author Topic: windows security alert  (Read 6551 times)

sinistersims

windows security alert
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:26:36 AM »
my windows security center (os = windows xp) is stating that "avast! antivirus 4.6.623 reports that it is turned off"...anyone have any clue how to correct this problem and get the annoying red shield icon off of my toolbar.  does this have any connection to utilizing the free version?  i downloaded my copy of avast from download.com.  thanks in advance for your assistance.

sinistersims

galooma

Re: windows security alert
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:39:13 AM »
Hi and welcome,
can you check your taskmanager to see if ashserv.exe,ashupd.exe,ashupsv.exe,and ashmailsv.exe are running?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 04:33:14 PM »
1. Update avast, the latest version is 4.6.652.
2. When does it report this?
3. Ensure that you OS is also up to date.

There are times at start-up that the windows security centre is open before my firewall and it reports it is not started, but after a short time the pop-up disappears, does this also happen, or is it reporting avast is off all the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sinistersims

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 05:01:04 PM »
i've tried to update avast!, but i guess i'm not getting the latest version or something.  could some one give me the details of how to get the latest free version (sorry for the questions i'm new to avast!)?

the red shield is ALWAYS showing and if i click on it, it takes me to the security center where i'm notified that "avast! antivirus 4.6.623 reports that it is turned off"...and that i don't have any antivirus software on my pc.

thanks again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 07:20:21 PM »
The version number I gave you is for both the free and pro versions.

i've tried to update avast!,
How did you try to update it?
What happened?
What errors or messages were displayed?
Are you using a firewall, if so which one? - ensure it allows access to avast.setup.

security center where i'm notified that "avast! antivirus 4.6.623 reports that it is turned off"
Can you answer 'Cloussau' question about task manager running processes.
Do you have XP SP2 update?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sinistersims

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 04:15:23 AM »
all processes are running EXCEPT the "ashupd.exe" process...

i used to have norton antivirus client installed; i uninstalled it weeks ago because i didn't care for it much.  however, when i just restarted my computer it told me that avast! could not start running because norton antivirus was running...WTF?  how can i make sure i have all of norton's crap off my PC?  i've even run the search function and deleted all the crap i could find.

i attempted to update by clicking on the lightning bolt icon (silver skin)...no error messages were displayed when trying to live update.

i'm using Microsoft's SP2's firewall...and i do have it turned on.

thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 04:24:37 AM »
How can i make sure i have all of norton's crap off my PC?
See: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12169.0

Welcome to forums...
I had to remove NAV a long time ago...
Well, I survived untill now... I'm avast since then.
The best things in life are free.

galooma

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 08:16:53 AM »
Also check your clock is set to right time ,right day,right year as this will prompt that warning from security centre if its out of sync 8)

sinistersims

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 05:49:28 PM »
thanks for the help...i'll start the manual removal process when i get home tonight.  i'll let you know if i have any issues there.  the links helped out a TON. 

will i need to uninstall avast! and re-install it after i remove all of NAV's crap??

BTW, should the "ashupd.exe" process be running?  if so, how can i correct this issue since it isn't running on my PC?

my clock is set to the right time, day, year, so no problems there.

Thanks again!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
BTW, should the "ashupd.exe" process be running?
No...
aswUpdSv.exe must be running (a Windows service)  ;)

MFB

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 05:58:24 AM »
Hi sinistersims, does your avast! still run even though Windows Security Center states it's off?  My adivce to you is to ignore what your Security Center say cause they can be fals sometimes, for example:  I install R-Firewall a few months ago and after removing it (for about 30 minutes) the security Center still states that R-Firewall is still there.  I even use my hardrive scanner to detect R-firewall but I'm sure that pesky little firewall is off my computer after  30 minutes of playing around with the delete button.  Just remember that as long as your avast! Shield is running, you can ignore the Security Center.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 02:20:08 PM »
You can ignore the Security Center.
Yeah, but something is wrong as Security Center should recognize avast, at least, after booting.

I found this in forums:
1) Make sure you are an administrator on the machine you want to enable it on
2) Go to Start > Run. Type in gpedit.msc hit enter/click 'Ok'
3) Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Securitry Centre.
4) Double click on 'Turn on Security Centre (Domain PCs only). Select 'Enabled'. Click Ok.
4) Close, reboot. Done. When you open the security centre, it'll actually contain useful information.

sinistersims

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 08:46:15 PM »
thanks everyone for the great info.  i manually delented all of NAV's CRAP off my PC...what a beating.  i honestly can't believe all the stuff norton leaves on your computer after installation; they purposely make it a pain to install any other AV software because they now how badly their stuff sucks!

my computer is now recognizing avast! and the red shield is gone for good.  avast! is tons better than any other AV software application that i've used...they must have excellent developers.

thanks for the assistance once again.