Author Topic: Firefox not appearing in software updater  (Read 8230 times)

Metacynic

Firefox not appearing in software updater
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »
Hi,

After updating Avast to v. 8.0.1497, Firefox no longer appears - at all - in the software updater interface.

It isn't that the software updater doesn't show anything it all - it does show Internet Explorer for instance.

I've tried rescanning, resetting the software updater database, repairing Avast, and reinstalling Firefox. The problem remains.

My version of Firefox is the latest, 23.0.1, and seems completely legit - and the Avast web shield and script shield works perfectly fine when browsing using Firefox.

Is this something to worry much about and if so, how do I fix it?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox not appearing in software updater
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
Already mentioned in other topics.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ky331

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
"Already mentioned in other topics."
--- a link (or two) would be appreciated.

Is this omission intentional?   Or a bug that will be corrected?
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
I just recall it being mentioned in other topics, I didn't search for the topic.

Probably the main topic for the release of avast 8.0.1497.

This is one such post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=133788.msg984289#msg984289.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Metacynic

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »
Sorry - I searched for "firefox software updater" before posting this topic, and the only topics I could find were older ones where people experienced wrong version numbers and such, not anyone where Firefox didn't show at all. Seems from the thread you linked to it isn't just a problem at my end, which calms me a bit.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Sorry - I searched for "firefox software updater" before posting this topic, and the only topics I could find were older ones where people experienced wrong version numbers and such, not anyone where Firefox didn't show at all. Seems from the thread you linked to it isn't just a problem at my end, which calms me a bit.

It doesn't show Firefox for me either.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »

No problem, basically I didn't search ('firefox software updater,' is very likely to return many hits, predominately older ones), but went to the topic I thought it might be in.

Considering this only occurred after the last program update 8.0.1497, I looked for that topic as people would be likely to report issue there. I then quickly scrolled through the topic until I found the reference.

GTX66

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 12:39:25 AM »
I don't have the software updater installed. I can update Firefox and other programs without a third party app.

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:58 AM »
I don't have the software updater installed. I can update Firefox and other programs without a third party app.
Great ... but what does that have to do with the topic. ::)
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

GTX66

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
Great ... but what does that have to do with the topic. ::)

It is about the software updater which is in the Avast Program. I just do not use it as Firefox does a very good job of updating it myself. Avast should stick with security issues and not become a bloated program full of apps that are not necessary. It ads another process to my computer. Most Avast users do not need a program to do their thinking for them. Avast can add anything they want to, it does not mean that I or anyone else has to install it. When I open up a program I check on the help button where updates are normally found. I do this when I have not used a particular program for a long time. We are Human Beings, we do not need a Security program to do all of our thinking for us.

Metacynic

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
I don't actually use the Software Updater's features either. I was just wondering whether the lack of Firefox-awareness indicated a corrupted install/other problems with either Avast and/or Firefox.

GTX66

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 03:37:41 PM »
I don't actually use the Software Updater's features either. I was just wondering whether the lack of Firefox-awareness indicated a corrupted install/other problems with either Avast and/or Firefox.

Well since they offer to install Chrome using their install, you can judge for yourself why Firefox is not included. :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »

Well since they offer to install Chrome using their install, you can judge for yourself why Firefox is not included. :)
Off topic.

This thread is a request to assist the OP.  Is what you say helping the OP resolve their issue(s)?   :o
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »

It doesn't show Firefox for me either.
The avast! Software Updater is keeping an eye on all of the Browsers I'm using:
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

GTX66

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »

Off topic.

This thread is a request to assist the OP.  Is what you say helping the OP resolve their issue(s)?   :o

In what way are you? I was only stating my opinion. That is all. Apparently the OP was wrong.