Author Topic: aswRvrt.sys freezing safe mode  (Read 2755 times)

BobUK

aswRvrt.sys freezing safe mode
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »
Running win 7 64bit had a problem when computer froze so I rebooted....

Now I cant access windows, trying safe mode it freezes on aswRvrt.sys. ..
Can someone help me?

Please make it simple old timer here using a mobile phone to send this.
Feel free to email me.
Bob

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Re: aswRvrt.sys freezing safe mode
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
aswRvrt is not freezing your computer. In safe mode you see aswrvrt.sys as last "correctly" loaded driver because it is configured to be loaded as last boot driver. In fact, aswRvrt is intentionally suppressed when computer is running in safe mode, it doesn't do anything. It is loaded only because boot drivers are loaded even in safe mode. Your problems occurs sometime later (after loading aswRvrt).
Selection of "Last Known Good Configuration" boot menu item will probably make your computer bootable again.

sandychair

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
Had the same thing.  Waited 18 minutes and finall the computer booted [into a full mode even though safe modewas selected].  Works fine now.

Nnixx

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
Well there's definately some sort of conflict with Avast and Windows XP in the last few weeks toa month.

I had an issue where my PC would just not seem to boot even though it sounded like it was and I discovered that if I removed the add in graphics card it would boot fine using the inbuilt graphics card.

So i figured the add in card was dead or dying but cleaned all the contacts and reseated it and all seemed good.

Then about a week later my son went to boot the PC and it just hung once the user account was chosen, tried removing the add in card again and again it fixed the issue.

Figuring that possibly the drivers for the add in had been corrupted I decided to remove them in safe mode but when I attempted to do this it got as far as aswRvrt.sys and seemed to hang.

Finally after many attempts I just waited and after about 10 minutes it logged me in so I uninstalled and resinstalled the drivers for the graphics card Nvidia 7300 LE and rebooted but it hung again in normal mode after selecting the user before eventually loggin in about 10 minutes later.

So then I googled to find out what this aswRvrt.sys was and saw it was related to Avast, so I disabled the services and rebooted and my machine ran like a rocket with my boot time dropping to about a minute total which it hasn't been that quick for years. The system is faster in general too.

Set the services back to auto again and the slowness returned :(

So much to my disappointment I uninstalled Avast after almost 7 years of use on this PC.