Author Topic: Avast 8 Update Error  (Read 12562 times)

xash

Avast 8 Update Error
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:22:04 AM »
Hi,

I've installed the latest version of Avast (8.0.1497) yesterday and it's my first experience with Avast Free Antivirus. Everything is working flawlessly and I have to admit that I'm really impressed by the features it offers.

But I have a problem with this program and as the title says, it's related to the update. When I hit the update engine and virus definition, I get an error message after a few minutes of trying to download servers.def.vpx. It shows "Cannot connect to server" several times and finally the error message shows up.

The error message says: Cannot connect to downloadxxx.avast.com (where xxx is a random number)

I also clicked update program button to see what happens (while it's already the latest version) and it stuck on the initializing phase.

I've read some other topics before and did the following troubleshooting tips:
1. Disabled Windows Firewall completely
2. Added Avast to the allowed programs and gave it full permission in the Windows Firewall
3. Checked my internet connection and proxy settings
4. Tried both direct connection and system settings in the Avast settings
5. Connection settings are perfectly set and there's no problem with none of my browsers

The strange thing is that I could update the definition by going to the Programs and Features and hit Change/Uninstall button. The update worked fine and now it's up to date. But the in-app update is not working at all!

Firewall: Windows Firewall
Security Software: Avast Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300

Thanks in advance

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 8 Update Error
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:09:57 AM »
I've installed the latest version of Avast (8.0.1497) yesterday and it's my first experience with Avast Free Antivirus.
what AV did you use before installing avast?
did you uninstall it before installing avast?
did you run the vendors removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict?

removal tools found here
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

xash

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
I've installed the latest version of Avast (8.0.1497) yesterday and it's my first experience with Avast Free Antivirus.
what AV did you use before installing avast?
did you uninstall it before installing avast?
did you run the vendors removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict?

removal tools found here
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
I was using Bitdefender (free version) but my laptop got infected and due to the fact that Bitdefender cannot scan the system in safe mode, I couldn't get rid of the virus. So I restored my system, which means that the HDD is formatted completely and Windows is installed again. My system is completely clean and only essential programs are installed.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »
so when you restored, it was not from a factory cd/HD partition setting it back to factory specc ?

as that usually restore factory installed trail AV like Norton / McAfee / TrendMicro.....

xash

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »
Yes, it was restored from the recovery partition of my Vaio laptop and since the very first things I remove after restoring my laptop are those free-to-try programs, I completely forgot about the Norton security software.

I downloaded and run Norton Removal Tool from the above link and followed the instruction and restarted my laptop but I still get the same error message when I use the update button. :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »
try avast repair

controlpanel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall > repair option....wait a minute and reboot

any change?

xash

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:31 AM »
done. still the same error message...

http://i44.tinypic.com/27x2dxy.jpg
(the snapshot is a bit large, so i just pasted the link)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:56:30 AM by xash »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »
it could be a server problem....

what is your latest VPS version?
do you get stream updates?

you may try a new clean install.   

removal tool.   http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
install files.     http://www.avast.com/download-software

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
There should also be no need to add avast the windows firewall unless you have activated the outbound protection, In it's default state outbound is off.

If the repair that Pondus has suggested does not work then you are only left with doing a clean install ( use the links Pondus has supplied ), the original install could possibly be corrupted or there is the chance there may be a server issue in your area but there hasn't been any other reports of this.

xash

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
Thank you both for your help but the problem persists! :(

I removed Avast using the removal tool in the safe mode and reinstalled it again. I also double-checked the Windows Firewall and the outbound protection is off.

If the repair that Pondus has suggested does not work then you are only left with doing a clean install ( use the links Pondus has supplied ), the original install could possibly be corrupted or there is the chance there may be a server issue in your area but there hasn't been any other reports of this.
If there's a server issue in my area, so why does it update using Control Panel\Programs and Features?!

It's really annoying to use this method to update and I think that auto-update is essential for a reliable AV tool...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
check avast update settings...

try direct connection, no proxy

xash

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »
check avast update settings...

try direct connection, no proxy
I did this before, but I changed it to direct connection again (after clean install) and still the same error!

I also checked the hosts file and there's nothing there too...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
then i am out of ideas....    :-\
wait a day or two to see if it goes over, and check. i you get auto updates and stream updates

VPS updates are listed here.    http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history

xash

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »
Thank you again Pondus,

I don't know what happened but I tried it once again and this time I got "Already up to date" message. I'm not sure it's fixed or I will encounter the same annoying problem again. Perhaps a server issue. ???

xash

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »
Hi again,

Sorry for bringing this matter up but I have a few other questions regarding the auto updater.

1. In the Maintenance\Update screen, it says "Connection not established", but I got the definition update automatically a few minutes ago. What does it mean and how can I fix it?

2. I've waited for half an hour to get the update automatically and nothing happened while the last update attempt was for yesterday. So I went to the update settings and changed the interval from its default value (240 minutes) to 5 minutes and guess what, I got the notification for the successful update right after 5 minutes!
Does this auto-update interval interrupt when Windows goes to sleep?

Thanks