Author Topic: Avast 8 Update Error  (Read 12589 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 8 Update Error
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 09:41:03 AM »
1. In the Maintenance\Update screen, it says "Connection not established", but I got the definition update automatically a few minutes ago. What does it mean and how can I fix it?
this is the stream updates...this may be on and off, as there have been many posts about this

avast check for new VPS updates when you turn on the comp ..... if it find any it will be downloaded. if computer stay on it will check for updates every 240min (default) and download if any found

VPS contain all previous released stream updates
they are usually released twice a day, more if needed and some days none.....it depends whats happend out in the virus world

lots of info about your AV here
FAQ section.   http://www.avast.com/faq.php
user guide.  http://www.avast.com/download-documentation

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:42:48 AM by Pondus »

xash

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
avast check for new VPS updates when you turn on the comp ..... if it find any it will be downloaded. if computer stay on it will check for updates every 240min (default) and download if any found
So why didn't it update the definition when I turned on my laptop? The release date is set to 14 hours ago, so theoretically I should get the update when I turned my laptop 1 hour ago...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:25:43 PM by xash »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Do you have windows 8 and is fast boot selected

xash

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
Do you have windows 8 and is fast boot selected
No, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my Vaio laptop.

I don't know why the auto-updater doesn't work and I have to manually check for updates or change the interval to something like 5 minutes. It seems that unlike what Pondus says, Avast doesn't check for updates when I open the lid of my laptop and turn it on!! (atleast it doesn't work for me)

Currently, the Last update attempt is for 10 hours ago when I set the update interval to 5 minutes. I returned it back to its default value (240) and it seems that Avast is not looking for updates at all unless I keep my laptop on for 240 minutes!!

Streaming update: Enabled
Connection: Connection not established
Latest update received: ---

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »
Have you set the avast update to direct connection ? When you close the lid is the computer hibernating or fully turned off

xash

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »
Yes, I tried all connection types yesterday and now it works (but not when the laptop is turned on).

When I close the lid, my laptop goes to "sleep". However, I shut it down and then turned it back on to see the difference but the auto-update didn't show any interest in getting the update until I changed the interval to 5 minutes and waited for 5 mins...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »
Is Avast showing 130909 as the current definition file

xash

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
No! It's still 130908-1 :(

xash

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 06:06:24 AM »
I got the update error again today (just as described in the first post) and tried different update settings. I set a proxy and the error is gone, but auto-update is not working yet. So I start a new topic as it seems that the problem is related to the proxy settings!!!

I'm frustrated... :(

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 06:50:53 AM »
hi xash,

I've come onboard a little late, but read the entire thread so far.

Two things you can try: 
  • Download and install the full VPS definition here:  http://www.avast.com/download-update  Sometimes, (not always) double-clicking the downloaded file will fix your issues, as the vps you have may be corrupted in some way.  This may be all you have to do.
  • Check to see if you have this file:  Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistrbutable - x86 9.0.30729.6161.
Fastest way to check is Start>Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features (Win Vista and 7).  If not there, then you've to download it from Microsoft here:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29

This issue may exist because you've just done a system restore (this is not a Windows restore point, but a back to original configuration restore).  This file should have been installed when avast! was installed, but that may not have happened here.  Once that's done, check Windows Updates for any newer updates for this file.  Reboot after installing this file, and then for any newer versions offered at WU, and see what happens then.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801