Author Topic: email photo attachment  (Read 4345 times)

ceejay

email photo attachment
« on: May 10, 2005, 09:34:27 AM »
Can anyone help me please?
I am unable to send an email with photo attachments or inserts :-[, it takes an eternity and then times out. I can receive similar emails without any problem

I have broadband and all other emails takes only a split second. I have contacted my Service Provider and they tell me it is the anti virus software that is the problem.

I have emailed Avast and they tell me to stop the scanning of outgoing messages. I do not know how to do this confidently without causing further problems - any suggestions??
I have Avast 4.6 home pro version installed and use Outlook express 6 by the way

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: email photo attachment
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:13:34 AM »
Click the blue ball near the clock. It will open Avast's control panel. From there you can en-/disable services. Shut them down one at a time and try to send an email with attachment after doing so to find out if it is really Avast that prevents the sending from the emails. If it is Avast let us know what provider caused this and what the extension of the attachment is.

Good luck

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 05:05:57 PM »
1. You can temp disable out bound email scan for large images, etc. and enable again after.

2. You can increase the OE timeout delay, this may help when scanning email with large attachments.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ceejay

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 12:36:39 PM »
Thanks very much for this info. It seems to be working, in that I am able to send - sort of, but I'm still having problems. I have broadband and every email I send with attachment is sent as soon as I click send. I have tried sending one photo (which has been zipped) and it takes an absolute eternity. Over 10 minutes - surely this isn't right!

Please help if you can

Thanks

Ceejay  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
It only appears to have been sent as soon as you click but it has to go through the avast scan.

The time would also depend on the size of the attachment, which you haven't mentioned, but 10 minutes does sound excessive. Zipping the image may also slow the scan as it has to be extracted to a temporary file to scan the zipped image file. If you have a slow processor (CPU), little RAM, or short on resources, this could also be a factor.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ceejay

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 04:14:08 PM »
Hi there

I will try sending the photo unzipped. Have a 2.16GHz processeser with 512mb of RAM.

The photo is only 15.7mb!

Although I click send, it shows in the bottom right of my screen - that it is sending, when you click on this after a few minutes, the display box is shown which shows the bar going across at a dreadfully slow speed.

It takes ages

>:(

Ceejay

sded

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 04:28:34 PM »
What is your BB uplink speed?  If you mean 15.7MB picture, it would take ~6 minutes to upload the picture over a standard 384kbps ADSL uplink without scanning-upload is much slower than download.  40KB/sec link, plus time to unzip, scan, other overhead could easily get up to 10 minutes or more

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 04:43:04 PM »
Although I click send, it shows in the bottom right of my screen - that it is sending, when you click on this after a few minutes, the display box is shown which shows the bar going across at a dreadfully slow speed.
10 minutes seems normal in this case...
Are you scanning the outbound messages or not?
The best things in life are free.

ceejay

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 08:45:49 AM »
My ADSL or BB speed is 576 kbps.

I will try sending again unzipped and see if this makes a difference. Thanks
Ceejay  ;)