Author Topic: Any Problems with Windows Update?  (Read 26872 times)

iroc9555

Re: Any Problems with Windows Update?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 05:22:33 AM »
I have hidden the 3 updates so they are not installed repeatedly, but I have not uninstalled them yet.

At least Microsoft updated security bulletin MS13-073 acknowledging the fact that these Excel/Office updates are repeatedly offered and reinstalled. see More information " Known issues "

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760583/en-us

Hopefully they would come up with a fix soon.

ar2013

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
I don't have Office 7 installed, and I don't have the Excel Viewer 7 installed and the updates have been installed several times;
I don't even know why it updates what I don't have...

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
Greetings everyone,

The main issue I had with those 29 updates, was for Excel 2003.  (I actually had both Office 2003 & 2010 on this machine).  Like many others, I kept getting a WU notice to update that one application.  Finally just uninstalled Office 2003 since I use the 2010 version & rebooted.  The issue eventually resolved.

The MBSA scan and also sfc /scannow I did earlier this morning did not show any problems.  I did post a topic in both the Microsoft Win 7 and Secunia PSI Forums about this issue.  It appears a lot of people are still experiencing problems...judging by the number of topic reply notifications I still continue to receive.

Regards to all,

Pete C.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:31:14 PM by spc3rd »
kls490

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
I have hidden the 3 updates so they are not installed repeatedly, but I have not uninstalled them yet.

At least Microsoft updated security bulletin MS13-073 acknowledging the fact that these Excel/Office updates are repeatedly offered and reinstalled. see More information " Known issues "

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760583/en-us

Hopefully they would come up with a fix soon.

I unistalled the updates and hid them from WU. Now only the red tray icon from Secunia PSI reminds me about them.
May the FOSS be with you!

iroc9555

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
It seems Microsoft finally fixed it or pull the affecting updates. They are not shonw in my hidden updates and MU does not show any critical updates anymore.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 01:08:57 AM »
It seems Microsoft finally fixed it or pull the affecting updates. They are not shonw in my hidden updates and MU does not show any critical updates anymore.

Well that's not the case for me on Win8 Pro with update KB2876415
It's still being presented.
 Fortunately, it is list as 'Optional' for my OS so it will remain "hidden"  ::)

iroc9555

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 01:38:34 AM »
It is official schmidthouse

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2810048/en-us

" Customers may have been repeatedly offered this update even though it was already installed.

Note This issue is resolved by a detection change released September 13, 2013. This change did not affect the updated files. This change only affects the way that we offer the updates to customers. Customers who have successfully installed the update do not have to take any action
".

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »
It is official schmidthouse

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2810048/en-us

" Customers may have been repeatedly offered this update even though it was already installed.

Note This issue is resolved by a detection change released September 13, 2013. This change did not affect the updated files. This change only affects the way that we offer the updates to customers. Customers who have successfully installed the update do not have to take any action
".

I'm not doubting that Information.
I can only state what is happening with my OS and MU. :)

Dch48

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 04:03:48 AM »
The issue is fixed. If you see the updates back as available when they are already installed, just click on "Check for updates" and let it complete. It will then report that no updates are available and they will no longer show up.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
LOL  The issue may be fixed for you, I'm still getting offered the same optional "failed update" KB2876415 published 09/10/13 I stated in my original post. This update hangs indefinitely!
I'm just saying.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:14:09 PM by schmidthouse »

Dch48

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
If you have an update that is failing and showing that it failed, that is a different issue than what was being discussed. The updates in question here were showing that they had successfully been installed but would show back up as needing to be done. The particular update that is a problem for you was never mentioned in the reports about the Office 2007 updates.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »
If you have an update that is failing and showing that it failed, that is a different issue than what was being discussed. The updates in question here were showing that they had successfully been installed but would show back up as needing to be done. The particular update that is a problem for you was never mentioned in the reports about the Office 2007 updates.

I understand your points.
Failed for me simply meant it hangs and has to be cancelled. I believe Essexboy has the same issue with the same MU I have been talking about. As I also mentioned earlier, it is optional so I have it "hidden". No biggy!
Simply adding another situation to the topic."Any Problems with Windows Update"  8)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
The way I installed that updated was to boot the system in clean mode with no external services or drivers.  It then installed with no problem, apart from having to set a clean boot and then reverse it :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
The way I installed that updated was to boot the system in clean mode with no external services or drivers.  It then installed with no problem, apart from having to set a clean boot and then reverse it :)

Thanks Martin.
I thought I did read something about 'Clean Boot'. :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »
Are  you happy with the clean boot procedure ?

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2.The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

5.Click the Services tab.

6.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

1.If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
2.When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Notes?
You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
?The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
?Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Then install the update.  Once done then reverse the above procedure