Author Topic: avast causing memory leak?  (Read 21715 times)

greatwhitenorth221

avast causing memory leak?
« on: October 01, 2003, 07:09:52 AM »
Hi all.  I was having an annoying RAM leak when using Kazaa Lite K++ causing the computer to crash after about 3 hours.  I discovered (finally) that the leak stopped when I disabled the AVAST 4 P2P Resident Protection.

I don't recall this happening when I was using earlier versions of KAZAA Lite and AVAST 32

Anyone else had this problem?  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:avast causing memory leak?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 11:59:17 AM »
Please tell us what operating system are you using, and which version of Kazaa and avast you have...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Dave50

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 03:29:33 PM »
Hi guys!  Using avast 4.1.268, KazaaLite versions
2.4.0. 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 will eventually crash (I have not yet tried the new version 2.4.3).  Sometimes it takes a couple of hours -- other times it'll happen very quickly when switching from the download traffic page back to the search page.  

KazaaLite version 2.1.0 build 3 seems to work better with avast 4.1.268.

Memory use is the problem.  With the P2P protection,
avast 4.1.268 is using 20,000K of memory and the KazaaLite versions I cited use more than 18,000K of memory while 2.1.0 build 3 uses less than 16,000K.

I'm using Windows XP SP1 with all critical updates.  I've got 512mb ram and a 1.8ghz processor.

Dave50

greatwhitenorth221

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 04:15:24 PM »
Hi Vlk.  I'm using Windows XP SP1,  KL Version 2.4.2 Build 1, August 26, 2003 and AVAST version 4.1 Home Edition Build 4.1.268 Sept/03 with Xtreme tookit V 1.9.4.0.

Thanks,
Ken

PS
This is a great product, it's saved my system a few times already.   Thanks guys

Dave50

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 04:15:49 PM »
avast team -- if P2P protection is turned off while using KazaaLite, can't a downladed file be scanned manually to make sure there's no virus?  Turning off P2P protection seems to be the only way of avoiding the memory use problem between avast and the newer versions of KazaaLite.

Dave50

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 06:30:03 PM »
People, this is an important issue and I want to have it solved real soon. Gimme as much info as possible, please.

In which process did you see the leak? Was it really that big? What memory-profiling (measuring) tools did you use?

Thanks,
Vlk

Edit: One more thing: does it help if you just uncheck the KazaaLite checkbox in the P2P Shield settings, or does the Shield have to be deactivated altogether for the problem to disappear?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 06:32:56 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Drekhead

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 07:27:04 PM »
Vlk; spoke to you previously via e-mail about this problem. You pointed me to this forum, so I thought I would continue here. Hope my information helps.

In which process did you see the leak?

I never could determine what process was causing the leak. I assumed in was something in Avast, because it was the only new application on my system.

Was it really that big?

Yes. It would grow until the system was no longer useable. I'd have to reboot.

What memory-profiling (measuring) tools did you use?

I have CoolMon running on my desktop. It displays RAM Free, RAM Used, and Page File usage.

One more thing: does it help if you just uncheck the KazaaLite checkbox in the P2P Shield settings, or does the Shield have to be deactivated altogether for the problem to disappear?

My leak was occuring with only BitTorrent checked. I unchecked it, no change. I had to deactivate P2P Shield altogether before the leak disappeared. I have only had it shutdown for a few hours now, but the leak behavior I had been observing has disappeared. I'll keep you posted.

Dave50

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 07:53:40 PM »
Vlk -- I can't determine the exact process.  However, and I've pointed this out in a previous post, while
avast 4.1.268 is using 20,000K of memory and the KazaaLite versions use 18,000K, Norton 2003 uses
7,000K memory and AVG-6 Free uses less than 2,000K.
I suspect since avast and KazaaLite are both using large amounts of memory, that's the slowdown and eventual freeze -- adding to it all the other things that XP runs in the background.  

One of two things happen -- KazaaLite works fine and then all of a sudden a message comes up that it's encountered a problem and needs to shut down -- or --
it becomes slower and slower until it does nothing and just locks up and you can't even close the program.  If you then do a cold shutdown and reboot, all's well for a little while and then the cycle repeats.

Dave50

greatwhitenorth221

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 07:46:30 AM »
Hi Vlk. The method I used was to turn off various processes until I noticed the RAM memory stabilise. I just used the performance monitor in Task Mananger.

The leak is bad. 200 Meg of RAM in about 3 hours. Eventually, the system does not have enough free RAM to run and crashes.

THis only happens on my machine when using Kazaa with the On Access Scanner running. I didn't try just turning off the P2P, I shut the whole Scanner down.  

I will try only disabling the P2P and report back.  If you have anything else you would like me to check, please let me know.

Cheers,
K

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 09:30:53 PM »
greatwhitenorth221, Dave50, Drekhead,

If it's available to you, you can use the Performance Monitor in Microsoft Management Console to investigate a suspected memory leak.  From the MMC help file:

If you suspect a memory leak, monitor Memory\Available Bytes and
    Memory\Committed Bytes to observe memory behavior and monitor
    Process\Private Bytes, Process\Working Set, and Process\Handle
    Count for processes you think might be leaking memory. Also monitor
    Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes, Memory\Pool Nonpaged Allocs, and
    Process(process_name)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes if you suspect that a
    kernel-mode process is causing the leak.

Regards,
Hornus

greatwhitenorth221

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 07:39:09 AM »
OK, the system still loses memory with only the P2P scanner disabled. I have to stop the whole provider for the RAM to stabilise.  I had Kazaa Lite running for 24 hours with no loss of RAM without the Avast running.  It was losing 30-40 Meg an hour when running.

greatwhitenorth221

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 07:42:42 AM »
Oh,  and Hornus, thanks for the tips but you lost me on about the 3rd sentence... a bit over my head.  I suspect the crew at Avast could simulate the same thing by running these versions of KL and Avast on a home XP OS?  If the problem doesn't repeat itself.......

greatwhitenorth221

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2003, 07:46:48 AM »
and where the heck does a llama fit in to this anyay?

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 09:53:45 PM »
Oh,  and Hornus, thanks for the tips but you lost me on about the 3rd sentence... a bit over my head.  I suspect the crew at Avast could simulate the same thing by running these versions of KL and Avast on a home XP OS?  If the problem doesn't repeat itself.......

greatwhitenorth221,

The team may or may not be able to duplicate your problem.  Since most users are not experiencing (or at least reporting) a memory leak problem, there may be something unique about your system setup that isn't present in the Alwil test beds, or they may reproduce a similar problem but not your's.  (Problems with similar symptoms may or may not have the same solution.)  By using Performance Monitor and providing them with the information you collect, you may help them zero in on what specifically is happening on your computer and develop a solution more quickly (and easily  :) ).  Help them help you.  ;D

First log on to your system with an account with administrator priveleges.  Search the  Start Menu for Administrative Tools and select Performance.  (You can also get to it through the Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Performance.)  I won't go into the specifics here since the help file and context-sensitive help is quite detailed, but the basic premise is that you want to set up a new log to monitor memory and process performance by adding the counters listed in my last post.  A few minutes reading the help file should muddy the waters, I mean clear things up, for you.

P.S.: I don't get the llama thing either, but I've noticed it on other bulletin boards powered by the same software.

Regards,
Hornus

Dave50

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2003, 05:59:44 AM »
I seem to have stumbled on a solution to myK-Lite crash problem and so far, even the newest version, 2.4.3 is working with avast.

There are numerous posts on the K-Lite forum about the newer versions crashing.  Most of the K-Lite gurus are telling those with problems to get more memory.  However, one gentleman suggested getting rid of Windows Media Player 9 and going back to what you were using before that upgrade.

If that doesn't help, HP told me to get rid of ALL Windows Updates, even if it means reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows XP.  (That's what worked for me).

HP told me on the phone that a number of computers, regardless of age, operating system or memory specs simply don't get along with WMP-9 and/or the Windows Updates.  While no one seems to know why this is, some people (myself included) have had numerous conflicts.

When I asked HP about the XP security holes and critical updates, the tech told me for the average user, a properly set up firewall (that includes XP's) and a good antivirus program (like avast) offers enough protection.

I'm not an expert and I don't pretend to be, but I've finally got K-Lite working with avast.  I may eventually put the Windows Updates back in, but right now, the experiment is a success.

I don't guarantee this for anyone, but you might want to give it a try.  If it doesn't work, Hornus' advice is the way to go.

Dave

P.S.:  some folks here in SW Florida are raising llamas.
They like to spit.....