Author Topic: Avast marked most startup apps as FileRepMalware and moved them to chest...  (Read 21959 times)

Erebus

Re: Avast marked most startup apps as FileRepMalware and moved them to chest...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
I still would like Avast to be great again, like it used to be.

I agree.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:09:32 PM by Erebus »

true indian

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
Dark_skeleton surely must be infected with something and that is why its triggering avast detections still.

But guess what,when protection improvements like evo-gen,filerepmalware are not made there will be many people and even some among here saying "hey avast sucks its protection sucks the program is sh*t"

and when avast tries to make things better and problems come by people start complaining.All is made by human,mistakes will be there,dont expect everything to be 100%.There has been no reports about this filerepmalware alarm from anybody else and that means there is something wrong with the OP's machine.

Instead of simply complaining,try and help to make things better.Report undetected viruses and false positives to virus@avast.com and besides how cheap people can be when they are getting such great protection improvements for free?  ::)

And then again trolls and mad people will come here ragging about avast and say that they will never recommend it again without explaining their problems or try to make a effort to get it resolved they keep talking in a negative tone.

If people cant understand that things will keep going up and down we all have to put up and try to resolve individual problems which may or may not be strictly caused by avast.

I am leaving my words here in a effort to make people realize that nothing is 100% and everything is human made.Avast developers also do hard work and they also need rest.NONE OF US ARE GOD.

If this topic continues in a negative tone and none of the people over here want to get things resolved and dont want cooperate in improving things and resolving issues.I would suggest a topic lockout.

Without you people's help,cooperation nothing is possible.Please understand the reality.DO NOT expect big changes to happen without any interaction.

So again,dont cooperate,dont take efforts and rant about avast and their company will not take you anywhere.Instead dont use AV software and then get frustrated with viruses.People dont want to make different topics in this forum to get help,they dont want to make things better and help avast team,they want to rant about avast.Bash it like no one's business.

Sorry if this sounds rude but polite tone doesnt seem to be working with you guys.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:45:52 AM by True Indian »

Erebus

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »
Sorry if this sounds rude but polite tone doesnt seem to be working with you guys.

No need to apologise mate. That was a great post, and that's the great thing about free speech. We can all share our thoughts and suggestions - within reason and in a civil manner of course! :)

I guess this is not the right place for constructive feedback. Sincere apologies, True Indian.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:08:58 PM by Erebus »

czardas

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
I don't understand why Avast is misbehaving right now. I'm going to start relying more on hashing files myself to check their integrity. At least that way I can be pretty certain if an infection has occured in one of my own projects. Avast doesn't seem to do this for excuded files, so they simply cannot be organized into folders without getting deleted. This is a bit of a mystery to me. Using heuristics is fine, but deleting people's work and installing 3rd party software without a warning is nothing less than viral activity. There's no getting away from the fact.

true indian

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »
czardes,if you have done with your non-helpful rants,take the pain of sending the flagged files to virus@avast.com for analysis so the virus lab can fix the false positives.  :)

What 3rd party software?? mcshield!? well,you know what that is a cleansing tool something that normal AV's cant do.If you cant follow simple suggestions its your problem not ours and besides at some point you will get tired and stop your rants instead of following advice given to you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:21:08 PM by True Indian »

true indian

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
Erebus,so you call avast technologies unwanted bells?  ;D  ::)

Please try and understand that they are there to help and how much ever they are tested,when they are released to the public they will cause issues to some of them because it prone too happen with a 185+ million user base community.

Whatever avast has provided so far has always been useful with the end user view.If you dont like it,go back to v6 and enjoy the low protection and dont complain.

Avast had kept the last beta for atmost 1 to 2 months.Isnt that long enough!?  :o I still dont see why people keep denying the facts and dont read the reality and why most here dont want to make a effort rather than just complaining.

Tell me something how about going back the crappy days of v5 where avast was very basic but detection rates sucked.Then I bet you will not complain about avast again but about its protection  ::)

So again you are wrong.Evo-gen,filerepmalware are the backend technologies which help avast to be a better AV and software updater is to keep vulnerabilities away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:17:48 PM by True Indian »

czardas

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
czardes,if you have done with your non-helpful rants,take the pain of sending the flagged files to virus@avast.com for analysis so the virus lab can fix the false positives.  :)

What 3rd party software?? mcshield!? well,you know what that is a cleansing tool something that normal AV's cant do.If you cant follow simple suggestions its your problem not ours and besides at some point you will get tired and stop your rants instead of following advice given to you.

No I was not talking about McShield which is probably a good program. Also I don't consider expressing my concerns for users to be ranting. I feel personally under attack because the files being flagged are my own creations. I do not wish to be labelled a creator of viruses by an AV company and have their software totally prevent people from accessing my programs because of heuristic shortcomings (whether my code has bugs or not).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:02:54 PM by czardas »

true indian

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
I have said this plenty of times.

send the files to virus@avast.com and in a day or two the false positives will be removed.  :)

czardas

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
I tested your theory and it seems you are true to your word. Another program of mine which was flagged previously no longer gets flagged. The problem is that this program never made it to release stage. It was an early version that has been abandonned. Submitting FP reports for every alpha version of all my projects will only clog up Avast detection rules with useless junk information (or am I missing something here?).

dark_skeleton

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
Mmm this thread has gone outside the box. I don't mind discussions, there are some interesting statements here. Especially this one
Dark_skeleton surely must be infected with something and that is why its triggering avast detections still.

Oh, yeah, totally. Sure it is. I mean, you couldn't have missed my post, could you?
I did a full scan yesterday, Avast found nothing, just a few wannabe-PUPs which weren't PUPs (I manually enabled searching for PUPs).
From what I've noticed, it only happens on first boot of the day (?)

It happened on first boot on the day. Meaning:
  • Started up my PC at noon to notice startup apps were deleted / put inside chest(my 1st post in this thread)
  • Rebooted (nothing more got deleted)
  • Rebooted
  • Scanned chested files (no viruses detected, FileRepMalware danger magically disappeared as soon as those files got inside the chest! MAGIC!)
  • Spent 3 hours reinstalling software freshly downloaded from the Internet
  • Did a full scan of my PC, all drives, PUP-enabled. Avast found nothing.
  • Turned off PC for the night, then turned it on next day
  • Startup apps and drivers got quarantined again [FileRepMalware] (well, at least not deleted since I changed my settings, because OBVIOUSLY Avast couldn't ask me if I wanted them moved to chest, deleted or just blocked at boot)
  • Scanned programs inside the chest. No viruses found - again
  • I didn't feel like restoring apps again. I'm running a retarded system right now. Maybe I'll fix it tomorrow.

Screenshots have been attached to respective posts
So yeah, I totally have a virus. It's a tricky one though, it only activates during boot and lives only in my startup programs for a short while, disappearing when you put it inside the chest.
FYI I've been running avast ever since I bought this PC (a little over a year ago).
AND the second time it didn't mark the same apps as previously as FileRepMalware. It chested less files.

EDIT: Oh and of course I have sent those files as false positive. I filled in the details on every file in the Avast report window for those 18 files.

About additional features like software updater... It's cool for non-technical people like my girlfriend, who don't really know how to update stuff. I have personally uninstalled those features (Software Updater, SVPN, browser cleanup). I don't like more and more apps running in background. Especially since most of those apps already have integrated updaters installed and running in background...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:36:04 PM by dark_skeleton »

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
You can send Avast an e-mail due to this:

E-Mail: virus@avast.com
Subject: False positives

You may add a link to this topic in case they reply here.

Give as much information as you can(Which programs, version,etc.) if possible you can send the files to them.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »
If you feel you have a virus do what is shown here and post a topic in the viruses and worms section: http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php

Attach the logs there, a malware remover will look over this. :)
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

true indian

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
Thanks Dark_skeleton and czardas for cooperating.

To add you can send all the falsely flagged files to virus@avast.com with the link to this topic.They fix it via streaming updates or VPS updates.No nothing will be clogged,the detection will just be removed,there will be no touch to the whitelist.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:52:22 PM by True Indian »

dark_skeleton

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
If you feel you have a virus do what is shown here and post a topic in the viruses and worms section: http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php

Attach the logs there, a malware remover will look over this. :)
No, I don't feel I have a virus. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I don't.
To add you can send all the falsely flagged files to virus@avast.com with the link to this topic.They fix it via streaming updates or VPS updates.No nothing will be clogged,the detection will just be removed,there will be no touch to the whitelist.
So... Does uploading them through the avast chest work or do I have to do it separately?
You can send Avast an e-mail due to this:

E-Mail: virus@avast.com
Subject: False positives

You may add a link to this topic in case they reply here.

Give as much information as you can(Which programs, version,etc.) if possible you can send the files to them.
I think you're just bumping your post count with these posts. I'm pretty sure True Indian already posted these guidelines earlier.

true indian

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
Upload via chest or by email doesnt matter...just dont forget to post any additional info and link to this topic.

Glad you guys are cooperating now!  :)