Author Topic: Is there any side effect for switching VRDB from ODBC to XML?  (Read 4331 times)

Umath

I made the change only to see if all the JET*.tmp files are related with Avast rather than other programs.  Now that all the JET*.tmp files are gone, I only see _avast4_ folder in the temp folder.  However, is there possible side effect for this change?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is there any side effect for switching VRDB from ODBC to XML?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 06:13:17 AM »
If you ask which is better ODBC or XML? I'll say that for the Home version, they are equal.

For the Professional version of avast!, XML is missing some functionality (compared to ODBC), so switching avast! Pro to XML storage is not a good idea: ODBC makes it possible to store the past sessions in the Professional version - which is not possible with XML. Appart from this, Enhanced User Interface behaves strange when switched to XML storage - when a task is started, another instance of it appears in the list (of the tasks, not of the corresponding sessions!). Alwil did not explore the problem deeper yet, so it could be a bug or just something caused by the inability to store additional info in the storage. Right now, XML storage is currently considered just a backup option for avast! Home.

On contrary, to URL blocking (WebShield provider) switch to the XML storage allows a higher limit of characters. The path could have up to 1000 characters.
The best things in life are free.

inconnu

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 06:27:25 AM »
I'd been wondering about that myself, though I've seen no problems since switching.  Thanks, Technical, for the answer, and Umath for asking.

Umath

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 02:31:25 AM »
Yes, thank you for the reply, Technical.

Avast is “one of the most configurable anti-virus software”TM but if we don’t know what a certain option will do, it’s meaningless or it may rather end up with a trouble.  It’s nice for Avast team to keep this forum to share their knowledge with users and let us do the same each other.

Starfighter

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 04:57:48 AM »
FWIW, on my Win98 system, which has avast! home edition, I had to resort to using XML, as the ODBC method didn't work well.  The XML method works great for me.   

On my XP system, ODBC works fine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:25:23 AM »
Avast is “one of the most configurable anti-virus software”TM but if we don’t know what a certain option will do, it’s meaningless or it may rather end up with a trouble.  It’s nice for Avast team to keep this forum to share their knowledge with users and let us do the same each other.
So, that's the reason of the forum: help and knowleage share  :)
The best things in life are free.