Author Topic: avast download  (Read 6873 times)

moaninmick

avast download
« on: May 14, 2005, 05:04:22 PM »
I downloaded avast for home personal use. I now cannot access my computer. When I switch on I cannot even get to the icons to click on anything. There is no response whatsoever. Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: avast download
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 05:09:46 PM »
How did you post this message then if you can not access your computer ?

You gave us no info on your system at all... what's the OS, which other antivirus you had installed prior installing avast! antivirus. What's your firewall ? Other security related programs on your machine ?

I hope you are well aware that having two or more antiviruses with resident protection enabled on the same computer will more than likely "kill" your system... it's not the case with avast! only, it's the case with any other antivirus out there... so, I just hope you properly uninstalled previous antivirus prior to installing avast!

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

moaninmick

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 08:37:06 PM »
How did you post this message then if you can not access your computer ?

You gave us no info on your system at all... what's the OS, which other antivirus you had installed prior installing avast! antivirus. What's your firewall ? Other security related programs on your machine ?

I hope you are well aware that having two or more antiviruses with resident protection enabled on the same computer will more than likely "kill" your system... it's not the case with avast! only, it's the case with any other antivirus out there... so, I just hope you properly uninstalled previous antivirus prior to installing avast!

Cheers !
I am using someone else's computer. You are dealing with a complete technical idiot here. Your prognosis sounds about right. I think there might have been another antivirus installed but I'm not sure what. The operating system is XP. What can I do from here?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 09:05:06 PM »
I think there might have been another antivirus installed but I'm not sure what. What can I do from here?
Click on the Start buttom (left bottom side of the screen).
Choose Control Panel and then Add/Remove programs icon.
Wait until it load... Copy the name of the installed programs and post here  8)
The best things in life are free.

moaninmick

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 09:25:05 PM »
I can't even get to the start button. The system is completely frozen.

sorry

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 09:32:22 PM »
You are dealing with a complete technical idiot here. Your prognosis sounds about right. I think there might have been another antivirus installed but I'm not sure what. The operating system is XP. What can I do from here?
Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I was away for few hours...

You are welcome my friend and WELCOME to avast! forums.

Don't say that... youa re not technical idiot. Some people knows more and some less about some certain things... but that doesn't make you idot at all. Just calm down and we'll try to help you...

Try to boot your system in SAFE MODE. I don't know what's the key you have to keep pressing while booting your system, because on some systems it'c F4 and on some other systems it's F8...

Then Choose, BOOT IN SAFE MODE, and then you should be able to see what programs are installed on your system...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

moaninmick

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 10:00:30 PM »
This advice worked perfectly. Thank you for your time and consideration. It would appear that if I want to use avast I will. have to delete the anti virus which came installed and which is due to run out in a couple of months.

Thanks again

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 10:09:12 PM »
Of course... that antivirus that was already installed on that system is something like demo anyway... so, once it expires, you are on your own... or go and pay for the licence, and you even don't know how good is that product.

This way, you can try avast! home edition. It's completely free of charge, that means you don't have to pay anything for it... and one day, when you realize how good avast! really is, you'll want to pay for the Professional version... but then, you are paying for something that you really want to have installed on your system. That's much better than something that you even don't know what it's name is...

Yes, you MUST completely uninstall that antivirus that was previously installed on that system, but please, don't do anything on your own. Post back in here, what's the name of that antivirus, and we'll tell you how to uninstall it properly... sometimes it's just not enough to go to add/remove programs and just uninstall it. Some nasty heavy antiviruses like to leave many traces in windows registry, so it could give you additional problems... you think that antivirus is uninstalled, but it's not completely uninstalled...

Take care and stick around. Post back if you experience any other problems.  ;)

Cheers !

moaninmick

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 02:25:50 PM »
The anti virus is Etrust. It says I have 60 days left before it runs out. Should I wait till then or unistall now? Incidentally since  I uninstalled avast the computer has been very slow to start at log on. Might I have something else to do to clear everything up?

Thanks again

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 02:46:56 PM »
To uninstall etrust or not, is totally up to you. If you think you should go with etrust till it expires, that's the thing you have to decide about. etrust is not bad antivirus at all, but it's not for free, and never forget that. That's also one of the most important things you should take into consideration when you have to decide which one you'll give a go...

Read here about proper uninstallation methods:

http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=365&GUID=BCBDA33631A8444891EA2992459B105C

NOTE: Uninstallation methods slightly differs from each other for different versions of installation you have. If you have e trust EZ Antivirus with the complete eTrust EZ Armor Suite, follow installation instructions for that one... on the other hand, if you have eTrust EZ Antivirus stand alone version, then you have to go with those instructions... got it ? It's easy... so don't worry...

Also, there are some additional information about versions 6, 6.1 and version 2005 (includes 6.2, 6.3 and r7), so you may wanna read them as well if you still have one of those versions...

If you decide to go with avast! uninstallation and you wanna leave e trust running on your machine, then please visit this avast! official web page, and download uninstallation utility. Follow those instructions...

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Good luck !

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 02:49:28 PM by sZc »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 02:53:28 PM »
Prior to uninstalling etrust you could try using System Restore giving you a stable platform

Use sZc's excellent advice on the uninstall process of etrust

To start the computer using the last known good configuration

Click Start, click Shut Down, and then, in the drop-down list, click Shut down.
In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Use system Restore first then uninstall etrust reboot install Avast
btw I would personally use Avast
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 02:57:00 PM by P3t3rb0nn »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!