Author Topic: What can I do to cope with Avast hogging resources on startup?  (Read 5018 times)

jmc2000

I've been using Avast over the past two years and it's great!

But gradually over the past year especially, it takes a hell of a long time --around 15 minutes--at start up to load the new virus definitions on my old Athlon 2Ghz computer. While this is going on, I can't do anything on my computer like I did in the past such as browsing my email, or loading basic web pages.

Now I can understand why it's important to keep up to date by loading the new virus definitions but, is it really necessary to load them before everything else, or can't they gradually be loaded over a longer time scale depending upon the speed of the computer?

In my case because of the slowness of my computer, it would be nice if they could be gradually loaded within an hour, because that way it wouldn't be such a pain. To deal with problem, I've had to disable all automatic updates, and carry it out manually once a week, which isn't ideal.

So do you guys have any advice on what I can do to alleviate this problem of Avast hogging resources at start up, apart from buying a faster computer?

Cheers in advance!

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Re: What can I do to cope with Avast hogging resources on startup?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »
In Avast settings/troubleshooting there is an option to load Avast after other services have loaded.
Give that a try.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

jmc2000

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:45:40 AM »
Thanks, works far better now. I wonder why they don't check that by default, rather than leaving it unchecked?

jmc2000

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:47:36 AM »
In Avast settings/troubleshooting there is an option to load Avast after other services have loaded.
Give that a try.

Thanks, works far better now. I wonder why they don't check that by default, rather than leaving it unchecked?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:49:48 AM by jmc2000 »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:59:12 AM »
Probably because for most people it works OK the way it is, and  secondly it allows the AV to protect the system earlier on
during the startup phase.
Perhaps your PC is low-spec and/or you have too many startup items ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:35:40 PM »
4.8 free version, option is greyed out. Using WindowsME so Avast upgrade not possible.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:46:22 AM »
Support for avast 4.8 should have ended by now as far as I'm aware, so I don't know if you can even get virus definition updates now for avast 4.8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 12:53:38 AM »
I still get 2 a day.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:48:07 AM »
I still get 2 a day.

You are lucky, but avast 4.8 has been on life support for some time, so they could end abruptly.

There is no doubt if you can update your system and OS, the later versions are better. Aside from the regular virus definitions updates, they also get the streaming updates that happen throughout the day as well, so far today I have received 96 streaming updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Daris

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
What I've done is switched the updates to manual.. Cause I have no choice, although Avast is turning greedy and they want you to update when they want not when you want...my Avast icon in my task bar iis dead.. Greed will kill them in the future...I already chose different Antivirus for my Mac and for my android phone..even though Avast might have been a better choice..I'm always gonna look for anything but avast cause of their greed...So I guess if you switch to manual updates and your avast isn't animated ...they telling you ...yes there is manual updates butttt...we don't like it..and we nosy and bossy..so you listen to us cause otherwise we gonna freeze your icon in your task bar..hey do what we tell you and buy our software not what you desire even though you paying.....that's why I always be looking for better and never have Avast.. Their greed..