Author Topic: Cerberus Flagged As Malware  (Read 14968 times)

Halso

Cerberus Flagged As Malware
« on: September 15, 2013, 12:30:03 AM »
I first installed Avast (free version for starters, already a registered Pro user on PC) then a day later installed trial copy of Cerberus. Decided to purchase both Cerberus and Avast Mobile. Purchased Cerberus first and then Avast immediately flagged it as malware, so I uninstalled the purchased app. I figure there might be some overlap (I trust Avast for virus detection, but your anti-theft doesn't have GPS and photos right now) and I'd like to use your backup. Anyway, I've not heard of Cerberus as being malware and can't find any verification for that online.

Using a new Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-1337) Android Version4.2.2. Need any additional info?

Thanks!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Cerberus Flagged As Malware
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:36:57 AM »
Hi,

that was a PUP detection, correct?

Filip

Halso

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:54:02 AM »
Filip, sorry, I don't  know what a PUP is. I just got an alert saying it was malware and to uninstall, which I did. I'm a new smartphone user, so I'm not up to speed yet  :-[

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:06:23 AM by Halso »

tfmurphhk

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
I too am getting what I believe is a false positive from Avast regarding Cerebus.. I hope you can fix this... soon!

Tom

onne51

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »
I have the same problem, if it is not fixed in a few days I'l will remove avast and try some other antivirus program, Cerberus has worked every time I have misplaced my phone, avast anti-theft did not work at all, I have tried it many times and when I must use it it didn't work att all !!!!

peteratukhot

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »
Yes, I have same problem following the last AV update Avast now reports Cerberus on my Galaxy S4 as a trojan and disables the app. Consequently I cannot use Cerberus features remotely while Avast is installed. Though I have reported this as a false positive to Avast there does not appear to be any way of instructing the Avast to ignore the percieved "threat" and allow Cerberus to run properly. 
Avast forums have not so far been very helpful and indeed Avast technical support seems non-existant, even the button (link) to raise a support ticket causes a "page does not exist" error!
It seems I really have no choice except to unistall Avast until they have acknowledged the problem and issued a fix, shame that I have to choose between software security or hardware security but since my phone was quite expensive I have to go with the latter.
Neither of these apps are the free versions and it is a pity that developers cant work together to ensure their apps are compatible with other security apps!  Cerberus is a superior product which has served me well in the past whereas, alas in practice, Avast is found to be lacking in its inability to correctly identify and distinguish real threats from essential apps nor does it currently have the ability to flag such apps as ok and ignore them when it's made a mistake. Shame I paid for it before I was aware of the issue. Maybe someone can come up with a better answer or a fix. :-((

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »
Hello,
what's the detection name?

Milos

bf3noob

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
Hi Avast team.

The issues with cerberus is with its administrator privelages on Android.

The detection shows up as malware (Android:FakeInst-LA[Trj])

When asked to uninstall, it simply takes you to the deactivate administrator privelage page.

Please can this be resolved ASAP and if any issues feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Hi Avast team.

The issues with cerberus is with its administrator privelages on Android.

The detection shows up as malware (Android:FakeInst-LA[Trj])

When asked to uninstall, it simply takes you to the deactivate administrator privelage page.

Please can this be resolved ASAP and if any issues feel free to contact me.

Thanks
Hello,
detection "Android:FakeInst-LA [Trj]" is disabled and fix was already released, but there is currently detection "Android:Spy-Y [PUP]", which will be fixed in next update.

Milos