Author Topic: corrupt system32\config  (Read 11445 times)

scottlauer

corrupt system32\config
« on: May 15, 2005, 05:04:27 AM »
I have scanned my system with Bart version 2.0.116 and it found and not repaired 6 viruses. Aditionally, it has notified me that my system32\config is corrupt. Repair at the notify screen was not an option that Bart could do. How do you suggest repairing the config files? Should I delete an repair with my XP pro installation disk?
Scott

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: corrupt system32\config
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 09:52:44 AM »
Hmm, this sounds quite bad. The system32\config folder contains the registry. Can you try to use the BART Registry Editor to find out whether the registry can be mounted?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

scottlauer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:44:53 AM »
hello
Scot again. What is meant , or how can I tell if registry is mountable? I followed this page two days ago   >   http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-1 (only the first page, I did not complete) when pc would not boot because corrupt config. System booted fine after typing cammands, the next day the config became corrupt again. Im thinking maybe one of the six viruses bart found may have caused corruption. Tell me worse case about your answer of HMMM don't sound good.
Thanks,
Scott

scottlauer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:26:29 PM »
Thanks for your great advice :P

At another site I followed a suggestion of booting with xp disk, then typing chkdsk /r
Fixed my system.................Hmmmmm, wasn't that bad afterall!

spregent

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 11:35:41 AM »
 :o
I guess I got a problem also!  I have had it for a few months, but last time I played around in the backend as the "administrator" I blew a few things up!  Puter has never been the same.
I am running Windows Xp H.E. Had it for about four years now.
I am experiencing so many oddities that I am used to them now, and my lady gets on and says "Now what did you do"!
I had so many versions of AOL that I get a message like:
MainIDX file
sys32 blah-blah
SBfm40 blah-blah  oops too long...got more...hang with me!

spregent

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 11:47:48 AM »
Here's another Poser:
C:/Windows/System32/
SBFM40.xla' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file locale is correct.If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files, on your file menu, make sure that the..blah, blah.
Also:
In Word 2002, I get Error#1402 Setup can't open registry key "unknown/MSO Help. HTMLhelp/CLSID
Lastly: C/windows sys.32 SBfm40'xla NOT FOUND
Am I in trouble?  If anyone can assist, please email me at:
fnlamp@aol.com  This way I don't tie up the board, and it's way past my bedtime!  Later kids!