Author Topic: avast! Free Antivirus detecting threats already Quarantined by other software.  (Read 4831 times)

Zenegog

Good day, avast!WEBforum!

I need your help with something here.

After running a full system scan with avast! Free Antivirus, the results show avast!'s scanner has detected threats which have already been quarantined by other security software, which includes Spybot: Search & Destroy and AdwCleaner.

How can I tell avast! Free Antivirus that these other security programs don't need to be included in the scan?

NOTE: avast! Free Antivirus is the only resident security program I run at all times. Other security programs I have are only used for on-demand scans every other week.

Thanks!
David
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:08:05 PM by Zenegog »

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Nothing Bad just delete them and its okay. ;)
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Zenegog

Okay, I'll just do that then!

Thanks!
David

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Not all are being detected the Spybot S&D files are being reported as being unable to be scanned as the archives are password protected, nothing to do with these.

The AdwCleaner ones are obviously legitimate detections as you have enabled scanning for PUPs in the avast scan (not enabled by default). But having run AdwCleaner for a specific purpose shouldn't that be uninstalled.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zenegog

Thanks for this explanation.

Is there anything I should do in regards to the detectable AdwCleaner Quarantined threats?

Also, are the password-protected files files alright just to be left alone?

Thanks again,
David

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are infected/suspicious, there are many legitimate reasons for this and S&D protecting its quarantine would certainly qualify.

You should periodically clear old entries from the S&D quarantine, this is going to reduce the password protected archives issue. Personally I would uninstall S&D as it doesn't bring much to the party and the resident element of S&D has caused issues with avast in the past.

I don't know why you ran adwcleaner, usually it is for a specific purpose (?), after that is done I would remove it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zenegog

Thank-you very much for this advice, I will certainly make sure I clean my S&D quarantine archive every other month or so.

I have a number of security software installed on my system which I only use for on-demand scanning, I disable the resident features of all security software (apart from avast! Free Antivirus of course). I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Addition, Kaspersky's Anti-Rootkit Scanner, Emisoft Anti-Malware and Spybot: Search & Destroy ALL for on-demand scans to ensure my computer is as clean as possible of threats. (If you have any advice regarding my setup, please let me know.  8) )

In regards to your question about my use of AdwCleaner, I ran a scan one day using Spybot: Search & Destroy and the outcome showed a result for Delta.Toolbar. I then ran a second scan to ensure the threats had been removed again, finding out Delta.Toolbar had not been completely removed as a result for this was still shown. Because of this, I did a bit of research on Google and a number of various threads on different forums recommended running a scan of AdwCleaner.

I downloaded and ran a scan with AdwCleaner, to find that only a few traces of annoying toolbars and cookies were found. That is how I have some results shown after my avast! Free Antivirus full scan.

After some more research, I then found out that right-clicking the scan button within the Spybot: S & D software and running the scan as administrator allowed these stubborn threats/PUPs to be removed!

I hope you understand.  ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I have a number of security software installed on my system which I only use for on-demand scanning, I disable the resident features of all security software (apart from avast! Free Antivirus of course). I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Addition, Kaspersky's Anti-Rootkit Scanner, Emisoft Anti-Malware and Spybot: Search & Destroy ALL for on-demand scans to ensure my computer is as clean as possible of threats. (If you have any advice regarding my setup, please let me know.  8) )
hmmm... this is what we Call paranoid   ;D

antivirus + Malwarebytes + MCShield    ;)   

if and when you have problems, you get help here    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0   With instructions from certified malware removers that will help you remove any infections

Zenegog

I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing. :P

Thanks for that link, I'll have a read!