Author Topic: outlook express question  (Read 10892 times)

techie101

Re:outlook express question
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2003, 10:35:05 PM »
anim,

Ok...the guys have offered excellent guidance but I think we need to go back to basics here.
Your version apparently has a corruption somewhere in the On Access Protection module.

Therefore I suggest that we start "anew" and have you uninstall Avast4.0, download a new version which should be 4.1.268.

In 268, you will have 5 On Access Protection modules and each will allow you to configure it to work best with your application be it MS Outlook/Exchange or OE.

The new installation should set your server address to 127.0.0.1 as before.  Port 25 is used by the default email client for SMTP service, and Port 125 is for the Pop 3.  My OE6 uses these and I have never had a problem with Avast.
As I said before, make MSOE your default mail handler, check the port and server settings and try it again after updating to build 468.

I think we have too much going on between MSOE and OE6 that Avast may only "see" one of them without real careful configuration.

Do you use a firewall or proxy server at all?

We'll get it running for you....
but please lets be on the "same page" here.  Get 4.1.268 so that we both are using the same version of Avast and mail clients.  It makes things easier for me to analyze and explain to you.

Ok....Good luck.
 ;D

PS:  Sorry for the log post, but I tend to think things out as I type.  I usually tire out about 2am.  hahaha
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 10:36:15 PM by techie101 »

anim

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 12:11:01 AM »
I unistalled the old version and installed the latest.  There is no change in behavior.  I do use a firewall

Skelator

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 02:00:58 AM »
I received 2 emails just now that in the subject line that said Avast 4!
Suspicious extension(s) of attachment
 * q469482.exe

Sender:  "Security Bulletin" <mxnadtxwphw-idrrvozo@confidence.com>
Recipient:  "Client" <client_nwmlrlsnel@confidence.com>
Subject:  New Update ScanMail has detected a virus!

Second one showed this.
Suspicious extension(s) of attachment
 * bjoujxm.exe
Content-Type doesn't correspond with attachment's extension
 * bjoujxm.exe - audio/x-wav
<iframe> tag found, it may be dangerous

Sender:  "microsoft message system" <vmailprogram@rocketmail.com>
Recipient:  "Email Receiver" <receiver@mxserver.com>
Subject:  returned mail ScanMail has detected a virus!

Was this just a test of Avast to see if it would detect certain viruses as it had caught them.

Skelator ???

techie101

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 06:08:52 AM »
anim,

OK..I think we can be fairly certain that Avast is NOT causing your problem.  If you checked the On Access Protection Modules as I suggested, and your email server address is set to 127.0.0.1, then we must look elsewhere.

Lets look at your firewall.  Application based or Rule based?
Zone Alarm is one of the most common application based.
Sygate is both.
Kerio is Rule.
Tiny is Rule.....and on and on.

Make sure that your firewall is set to ALLOW your mail clients access to the internet as well as Avast.

I'll be here.

:D