Author Topic: outlook express question  (Read 10890 times)

anim

outlook express question
« on: October 01, 2003, 03:45:41 PM »
I was using an old version of MS outlook (98) for email, and switched to outlook express 6.  When I was using MS outlook 98, I would see the avast logo when outlook initialized.  I do not see the logo when running outlook express.  How do I know if my email is getting virus protection, and if not, how do I correct this?

???

techie101

Re:outlook express question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 04:59:36 PM »
anim,
The Avast "ball" icon should be visible in the tray.  Actually, 2 icons should appear.....the A for the On Access Protection, and the I for the VRDB database.

Did you mean that with the older Outlook, you had them, and with the new version you do not?   or did you mean that the ball does not "rotate" anymore with Oulook 6?

If the latter is the case, run the Mail Protection Wizard which you will find in the Start/Programs/Avast folder.

If the former is the case, please try to explain a bit better.
Thanks.
 :D

anim

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 07:44:31 PM »
I'll try to be more specific.  

When I use MS Outlook 98, the avast! banner (like the one at the top of this screen - except it also says outlook/exchange plug-in) is visible in the center of my screen when outlook starts.  When I use outlook express 6 there is no banner.

The ball logo is always visble in the tray (VRDB does not show because it is merged), but the ball does not turn when I run either email program.  or when I'm sending or receiving mail.  I re-ran the mail protection wizard and it is set to scan inbound and outbound mail.  The ball does turn when I'm using Internet Explorer.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 01:16:54 AM »
This is actually strange behavior.  There is no reason why the intro-banner as you call it should appear when you start MS Outlook or Outlook Express.  It is stranger that the banner would be marked as a "plug in".

If the ball rotates when using IE, then at least we know that the On Access Protection is working for that portion of the computer usage.  It apparently is not monitoring the email in or out.

Are you operating behind a firewall or proxy?
Go into the Tools/Options in MS Outlook and Outlook Express and see if you have a tab like Connections or Servers.  See if the server address is listed as 127.0.0.1
This is what Avast uses to monitor the email.
If it is not listed as such....correct it.
If it is listed correctly, then we need to look further.

I have not seen this behavior before, so we may need the insight of a Moderator or member of the Avast Team.

Post your reply....
someone will get back to you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 03:27:39 AM »
I´m using OE and avast! but I didn´t see a banner when I start OE. I never seen it!
How are your settings in avast4.ini file?

In section MailScanner below, must have an item ShowTrayIcon. Set it to one like this:

... (preceding configuration)

[MailScanner]

ShowTrayIcon=1
AutoSetProtection=1

... (following configuration)

There is another way to see if resident is working or not. Set the avast! Internet Mail provider to add a note into clean messages both for pop and smtp providers (I mean, for receive and send messages). Send a e-mail to yourself... Do you see the attached notes in the body of e-mail?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

anim

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 03:57:40 AM »
The intro banner (splash screen) is definitely there when I start outlook but not outlook express.  

I set a note to be included in clean messages, and it shows up when I use MS outlook, but not Outlook express.

The server address is correct.

techie101

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 07:20:58 AM »
anim,

Technical has some good points made, but neither of us has asked you "What version of Avast are you running?"
Also, has it ever worked correctly?

Another idea came to mind...Which mail client is your default?  I am wondering why you only see the "tags" in the messages from MS Outlook and not OE.

I use OE6 and Avast with W98, and also OE6 and Avast with XP.  Neither has ever displayed the banner you  have.  

Don't worry, we'll figure it out.

;D

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 08:02:16 AM »
anim,

I now understand what banner you are talking about.
When you refer to MS Outlook, please realize that to Avast it is not the same as Outlook EXPRESS.  Avast uses a special module (provider) for MS Outlook/Exchange.

Yes, you will see a mini-Avast splash appear with the notation MS Outllook/Exchange plug in.

This is ok in that Avast does use a plug in so that the On Access Protection can work correctly with it.

It has not caused my system any problems.  I have MS installed, but stick with OE6.

The On Access Protection module for MS Outlook/Exchange is only active when the subsystem is actually running as opposed to Outlook Express.
I hope I am making sense out of this for you.

Check your On Access Protection screen to insure that ALL the modules are running.  You can access the OAP by right clicking on the A ball in the tray and going to On Access Protection Control.  You will see the 5 modules (or providers) listed on the left side of the window.  Select each one and then on the right  you should see that the provider is running.  If not, click Start.

Let's see if that helps you.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 08:14:18 AM by techie101 »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 01:23:03 PM »
Techie is correct, there is no problem in it. Avast has special protection for Outlook in contrast to other mail programs (including Outlook Express). Also note that if you want the notes to be included in clean messages for Outlook Express, you have to configure it in the provider "Internet Mail", not "Outlook/Exchange".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 02:11:18 PM »
The intro banner (splash screen) is definitely there when I start outlook but not outlook express.  

I set a note to be included in clean messages, and it shows up when I use MS outlook, but not Outlook express.

The server address is correct.

Now I rememer... I disabled the splash screen of OE by the Xteq System X-Setup plugin (Internet\Outlook Express\Appearance\Advanced Options)...
I´ll try to enable it again and see if I get something...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

anim

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 02:53:09 PM »
How are your settings in avast4.ini file?

In section MailScanner below, must have an item ShowTrayIcon. Set it to one like this:

There is no Mailscanner section in my avast4.ini file, nor is there a ShowTrayIcon???

"What version of Avast are you running?"
Also, has it ever worked correctly?

Another idea came to mind...Which mail client is your default?  I am wondering why you only see the "tags" in the messages from MS Outlook and not OE.

version 4.0-235
I doubt it has ever worked correctly (except with MS Outlook 98)
The default client is OE

Check your On Access Protection screen to insure that ALL the modules are running.  You can access the OAP by right clicking on the A ball in the tray and going to On Access Protection Control.  You will see the 5 modules (or providers) listed on the left side of the window.  Select each one and then on the right  you should see that the provider is running.  If not, click Start.

There are 3 modules:
Internet Mail
Outlook/Exchange
Standard Shield
The standard shield is running, Outlook/exchange is running only when I start outlook, and internet mail is never running (even if OE is)

Also note that if you want the notes to be included in clean messages for Outlook Express, you have to configure it in the provider "Internet Mail", not "Outlook/Exchange".

the tag is configured for both internet mail and outlook/exchange

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 03:53:21 PM »
There is no Mailscanner section in my avast4.ini file, nor is there a ShowTrayIcon???

You have to use the 'Mail Protection Wizard' (menu Start->Programs->avast! Antivirus) to configure the protection for Outlook Express. Select 'Set up the protection manually' and check the accounts that you want to protect. Also use the button 'Start now' on page 'Service Start'.

anim

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 04:59:43 PM »
I really appreciate all the help.

I used the Mail Protection Wizard, and set it up manually, selected outlook express, checked incoming and outgoing boxes for OE, and I get errors and it syas that port 25 & 110 are already in use.  I followed the instructions in help, but it doesn't fix the problem.  I don't understand why it works fine with Outlook but not OE.  

my avast4.ini now has Mailscanner.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2003, 05:18:01 PM »
Unfortunatelly you have to complete the configuration manually. See http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=593;start=msg2857#msg2853
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 05:19:44 PM by vojtech »

anim

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2003, 09:43:57 PM »
I configured manually, but still no luck.

inserted
SmtpListen=127.0.0.1:26
PopListen=127.0.0.1:111

changed ports to: 26, 111

EO Error message: cannot log into server(s)

could not send or receive mail, so I changed it back