Author Topic: Avast! won't let me set Windows Firewall as my default  (Read 15871 times)

BrokenEye

Avast! won't let me set Windows Firewall as my default
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
I've got two networked computers running Windows 7. I was having trouble accessing files in my HomeGroup, so I checked my Firewall settings, and saw that HomegGroup was blocked. So I unblocked it. But I still couldn't access my files, so I downloaded Microsoft's "Fix It" diagnostic thingy for Windows Firewall. It told me that Windows Firewall "cannot be set as the default firewall... because you are using Avast! Internet Security". Now, the problem there (apart from it screwing up my HomeGroup) is that I'm using Avast! free which doesn't include a firewall, so if my default firewall program hasn't got a firewall, that means I haven't got a firewall.

And also my HomeGroup still doesn't work, but that's somewhat less important than not having a firewall.

What do I do about this?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast! won't let me set Windows Firewall as my default
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
hey and welcome to the avast forum. i suggest you try a clean installation of avast here and see if that solves your problem

download a fresh copy of avast from avast .com

download and run the uninstall tool for avast from this link

http://www.avast.com/en-se/uninstall-utility

reboot your computer

install the fresh copy of avast you have downloaded.

did it solve your problem?

do you have any other third party security programs installed like a firewall or are you just using avast?

Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

BrokenEye

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
hey and welcome to the avast forum. i suggest you try a clean installation of avast here and see if that solves your problem

reboot your computer

do you have any other third party security programs installed like a firewall or are you just using avast?
I've got IObit Advanced System Care, but that hasn't got a firewall either

BrokenEye

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »

reboot your computer

I reinstalled Avast! as you said, and the problem persists

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
Iobit are an untrustworthy company so that would be the first thing for me to be removed, it's malware and spyware scanning technologies are probably going to conflict with the correct operation of avast as well.

BrokenEye

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
Iobit are an untrustworthy company so that would be the first thing for me to be removed, it's malware and spyware scanning technologies are probably going to conflict with the correct operation of avast as well.
Untrustworthy according to whom?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »
All the companies they use to steal definitions from, Malwarebytes was the main one that caught them out.

BrokenEye

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
All the companies they use to steal definitions from, Malwarebytes was the main one that caught them out.
Oh, I see. So just corporate espionage, then?

I've run scans with both, sometimes even simultaneously, and have never encountered any conflicts on either end. But more to the point, it isn't a firewall program. I don't see how it could be interfering with any firewalls.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:53:23 AM by BrokenEye »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »
I don't know what you mean by "just corporate espionage" as that for me an most others would be the hook-line and sinker decider for whether there junk came anywhere near a system that I have access to.

As for the firewall issue maybe Iobit has screwed up something in the registry :-\
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:55:16 AM by craigb »

BrokenEye

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
I don't know what you mean by "just corporate espionage" as that for me an most others would be the hook-line and sinker decider for whether there junk came anywhere near a system that I have access to.
I don't care about the feuds, rivalries and skullduggery between companies. That's their business. Let them handle their own internal politics. I just care if the product works.

Frankly, I think it would be better for everyone's security if the bastards just shared their virus definitions with each other, but I know that's never going to happen.

Now, can we discuss the actual issue I was having which lead me to start this thread? I'd rather that be resolved before this thread devolves into a flame war.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:04:41 PM by BrokenEye »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
Maybe you should care as if people don't take a stand against these practices then they just continue there sneaky behaviour, and only caring whether the product works! well that has yet to be decided as it more than likely what has messed up your system.

It might pay for you to run the OTL program from the viruses and worms section then supply the log back here for one of the experts to look over.

BrokenEye

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
Maybe you should care as if people don't take a stand against these practices then they just continue there sneaky behaviour, and only caring whether the product works! well that has yet to be decided as it more than likely what has messed up your system.

It might pay for you to run the OTL program from the viruses and worms section then supply the log back here for one of the experts to look over.
Can we please get back on topic?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »
Can we please get back on topic?
We are on topic as I just asked you to run OTL, best to exclude all possibilities and run the first 4 tools.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
May I chime in? The Windows AIS firewall do "not" conflict with each other. They work well side by side.
I agree with craigb in that I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find IObit is causing the problem.
IObit is not to be trusted at all!  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

BrokenEye

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
May I chime in? The Windows AIS firewall do "not" conflict with each other. They work well side by side.
I agree with craigb in that I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find IObit is causing the problem.
IObit is not to be trusted at all!  :)

Quoth Fix It:

"Windows Firewall cannot be set as the default firewall. This problem may be occuring because of an existing Group Policy or because you are using the avast! Internet Security firewall program. If you want to use Windows Firewall, exit the troubleshooter, uninstall the other firewall program, and then run this troubleshooter again."

I'm asking about avast! because the troubleshooter specifically told me that avast! was the cause, in such a way as to suggest that this is a common problem. It specifically mentioned avast!, and no other security program as one of two possible causes, which would mean that not only do they, in fact, conflict, but the conflict only occurs with avast! and not security programs in general.  I don't have any Group Policies, so by process of elimination, avast! is causing the problem.

In fact, I'd already mentioned this. So can we please address the actual problem instead of quarreling about brand loyalty?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:12:36 PM by BrokenEye »