Author Topic: Avast! won't let me set Windows Firewall as my default  (Read 15844 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast! won't let me set Windows Firewall as my default
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »
As I already mentioned please run the tools suggested from the Viruses and Worms board http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 as I suspect Iobit has messed up your registry or removed a critical file.

Another question would be have you ever used the trial upgrade or installed AIS ?

BrokenEye

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »
As I already mentioned please run the tools suggested from the Viruses and Worms board http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 as I suspect Iobit has messed up your registry or removed a critical file.

Another question would be have you ever used the trial upgrade or installed AIS ?
I think I have used the trial upgrade, but I upgraded to Free, which has the same features. I'm not sure what AIS is.

Also: Please re-read my previous post.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »
AIS is "Avast Internet Security" if you have ever had AIS installed it is possible that there might be firewall drivers remaining which you would see in Device Manager ( click View and show hidden devices )

I have read you previous post which is why I replied and my thoughts and suggestions still stand relevant.

BrokenEye

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »
AIS is "Avast Internet Security" if you have ever had AIS installed it is possible that there might be firewall drivers remaining which you would see in Device Manager ( click View and show hidden devices )

I have read you previous post which is why I replied and my thoughts and suggestions still stand relevant.
That only comes with the paid version, right?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »

Yes and which also comes in the trial upgrades and if your windows is telling you that the default firewall cannot be activated because it thinks you have AIS installed then it sounds like you may have trialled AIS at some point and never uninstalled it correctly :-\

BrokenEye

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »

Yes and which also comes in the trial upgrades and if your windows is telling you that the default firewall cannot be activated because it thinks you have AIS installed then it sounds like you may have trialled AIS at some point and never uninstalled it correctly :-\
Oh. Wait... is that the internet browser plugin? I might have had that.

How would I find and get rid of the leftovers.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »

No the browser plugin is completely different ( not firewall related ) and comes with all versions of avast.

BrokenEye

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »

No the browser plugin is completely different ( not firewall related ) and comes with all versions of avast.
Oh. Well then I don't think I've ever had it, then. I'm not sure.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
Did your windows firewall start when you uninstalled avast earlier ? did you run the avast removal tool after removing avast also ? if the windows firewall does not start after removing avast then you should follow the instructions posted to you earlier to provide the logs necessary for someone to look over and see if there is another problem with your system.

BrokenEye

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
Did your windows firewall start when you uninstalled avast earlier ? did you run the avast removal tool after removing avast also ? if the windows firewall does not start after removing avast then you should follow the instructions posted to you earlier to provide the logs necessary for someone to look over and see if there is another problem with your system.
I didn't check. Lemme go uninstall it again and see.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 09:05:52 PM »
And check your Device Manager in control panel like explained just to make sure you have no avast firewall drivers in case you have installed once before.

BrokenEye

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
And check your Device Manager in control panel like explained just to make sure you have no avast firewall drivers in case you have installed once before.
Can't find any. I remember there used to be some,  but they were out of date and went away when I scanned for hardware changes a couple days ago while trying to fix an unrelated internet access problem.

BrokenEye

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
Did your windows firewall start when you uninstalled avast earlier ?
Alright, I removed it again. Windows Firewall started, but it still can't set be set as the default firewall program(despite now being the only firewall program), for the same reasons.

EDIT: ==========
Alright, I've installed it again, and now the problem is gone. Weird.

Well, I've still got no idea what was wrong or what I did to fix it, but its fixed. Thanks for... um... I suppose pointing me in the right direction, although admittedly I haven't a clue what direction that was.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:49:38 PM by BrokenEye »

BrokenEye

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 10:38:17 PM »
Malware found six things, all entirely unrelated to IObit, and as it turns out, to the problem I'm having as well, as they've since been removed and yet the problem persists

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 11:15:09 PM »
hi BrokenEye,

1.)  You've a paid version of IOBit?  Then save the license and uninstall.  Reboot.  Any change?  If not, do step # 2.
2.)  You are also running Avast Internet Security?  Then turn off the firewall in Internet Security if the uninstall of IOBit does not resolve your issue.  Reboot.

See, this is a process of elimination of possible suspects re your issue.  I understand that Windows Firewall appears to not be running, hence your concern, and rightfully so.  However, AIS comes with a firewall, but the current version does not support IPv6 protocols, and Win 7 firewall does.  This is why AIS firewall is designed to be compatible with Windows Firewall, and Windows Firewall provides support for the newest IPv6 protocols, whereas AIS does not.  So, they complement each other that way.  Either way, you've got a running firewall in AIS even if Windows Firewall is disabled.

All we're trying to do is rule out possibilities for blocks for proper Windows Firewall operation.

Irregardless of a vendor's ethics, it still stands to reason that their software may or may not be optimal for your system given the admitted state of their software engineers in that they would have to resort to this sort of behavior (intellectual theft of proprietary property) and that they were caught in the act of doing so.  Only a lessor/inferior company would resort to such tactics, is what we all are saying to you.

You've a conflict/bug between AIS and IOBit, that's what appears to be the case here.  Your choice on which to keep or remove.   
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801