Author Topic: Avast! won't let me set Windows Firewall as my default  (Read 15955 times)

BrokenEye

Re: Avast! won't let me set Windows Firewall as my default
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
hi BrokenEye,

1.)  You've a paid version of IOBit?  Then save the license and uninstall.  Reboot.  Any change?  If not, do step # 2.
2.)  You are also running Avast Internet Security?  Then turn off the firewall in Internet Security if the uninstall of IOBit does not resolve your issue.  Reboot.

See, this is a process of elimination of possible suspects re your issue.  I understand that Windows Firewall appears to not be running, hence your concern, and rightfully so.  However, AIS comes with a firewall, but the current version does not support IPv6 protocols, and Win 7 firewall does.  This is why AIS firewall is designed to be compatible with Windows Firewall, and Windows Firewall provides support for the newest IPv6 protocols, whereas AIS does not.  So, they complement each other that way.  Either way, you've got a running firewall in AIS even if Windows Firewall is disabled.

All we're trying to do is rule out possibilities for blocks for proper Windows Firewall operation.

Irregardless of a vendor's ethics, it still stands to reason that their software may or may not be optimal for your system given the admitted state of their software engineers in that they would have to resort to this sort of behavior (intellectual theft of proprietary property) and that they were caught in the act of doing so.  Only a lessor/inferior company would resort to such tactics, is what we all are saying to you.

You've a conflict/bug between AIS and IOBit, that's what appears to be the case here.  Your choice on which to keep or remove.

I haven't got Avast! Internet Security, and my versions of both free programs are free.

However, the problem is solved now. I reinstalled Avast! and it went away. I'm not sure why, but whatever it was its fixed.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
Glad it's finally working but you still have not supplied to logs requested and being Malwarebytes found 6 things as you mention then you may still be infected.

BrokenEye

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »
Glad it's finally working but you still have not supplied to logs requested and being Malwarebytes found 6 things as you mention then you may still be infected.
Oh... I thought I was just supposed to use them to check. Here you go.

Code: [Select]
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.09.17.08

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16686
Owner :: GUTHRIESLAPTOP [administrator]

9/17/2013 11:35:42 AM
mbam-log-2013-09-17 (11-35-42).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|J:\|K:\|M:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 513348
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 13 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|Start_ShowSearch (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.

Folders Detected: 2
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\DB69B14283724C038DD92098DE29CF73 (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Detected: 3
C:\Program Files (x86)\NirSoft\ProduKey\ProduKey.exe (PUP.PSWTool.ProductKey) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\DB69B14283724C038DD92098DE29CF73\mconduitinstaller.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\Res\SPSetup.exe (PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 07:33:23 AM »
That's one log, what about running the other three as I asked you to run the first four tools.

When you post the logs please use the attach option.

BrokenEye

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 08:09:04 AM »
That's one log, what about running the other three as I asked you to run the first four tools.

When you post the logs please use the attach option.
Those didn't find anything, and I also haven't got them anymore.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
hey agian. you have to attach the other logs adwclener, otl and aswmbr so a malware expert can have a look at it. either wish we can not help you.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217 here is a bit information about the comapany iobit from malwarebytes. becouse of this iobit can not be trusted anymore.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

BrokenEye

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »
hey agian. you have to attach the other logs adwclener, otl and aswmbr so a malware expert can have a look at it. either wish we can not help you.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217 here is a bit information about the comapany iobit from malwarebytes. becouse of this iobit can not be trusted anymore.
Well, as I mentioned above, its been fixed so I don't actually need help anymore.

Also as mentioned above, I have no interest in your inter-corporate feuds so please stop preaching to me about it.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
those other logs is for the malware expert to analyse and see if there something else on your system that needs to be removed.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM