Author Topic: About false positive  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Tonanet

• I'm a llama!
About false positive
« on: May 17, 2005, 06:22:04 PM »
Hello guys,

Do you think Avast have a high level of false positives compared with other Avs?
I read here frequently (almost every week) about false positives happening...?
And once, I think agost 3 2004, in this forum, someone toldo about a false positive happened with the explorer.exe file from windows 2000... It scared me...!

Maybe its because the other Avs doesnt have a forum to have an open talk about false positives, and them it makes the impression that it has a high level of it?

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: About false positive
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:34:21 PM »
I doubt that there are many companies as willing or open as avast to admit there is such a thing as a false positive, let alone be open enough to have publicly available stats about the numbers of FPs they have.

All AVs, anti-malware software is likely to suffer FPs, it is how quickly they respond to and deal with FP reports. In that regard I believe avast to be excellent.

If anyone learns anything about FPs it should be, 'delete in haste, repent at leisure' your first action should be move to chest, investigate and not delete.

I believe I have only experienced 1 FP in just over a year, but then again I don't get many true virus detections either. So the more secure your system, and using common sense in your browsing habits, etc. the less likely you are to suffer either FPs or true virus detections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 01:16:28 AM »
We will always get false positive, not just avast! but other antivirus programs. Luckily avast! can solve these problems by the next update.  :)

darkparrot

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 02:51:47 AM »
I have only had one false positives for the six+ months of using it.