Author Topic: Update Problems  (Read 1929 times)

krassofnod

Update Problems
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »
- cross-posted from the update thread -

Hi guys, having a bit of trouble with the update.

When I tried to get on to websites this morning it was unable to connect to the DNS. I thought it was an issue with my ISP, however every other computer in the house was fine. So I hopped on my macbook and found an old thread that mentioned resetting the TCP/IP settings and WINSOCK settings back to the default. This worked for connecting to internet sites, however I am still having trouble with game logins (Like Minecraft)

Any help you guys can offer would be amazing <3

~Krass

krassofnod

Re: Update Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »
so i called support -

I was told that he could fix all the things if I subscribed to a yearly 180 dollar service. I don't have 180 dollars the questions that followed

Me: So it isn't likely that Avast has caused this issue I am having?

Him: No you probably have malicious exe's causing problems

Me: So you are saying Avast didn't work?

Him: well.....

Me: So if it is not Avast then why are the other computers working fine and mine being the only that was effected, and the only thing that has changed on my computer is that update.

Him: Well its a strange councidence

Me: Really what about the forums postings I found dating back to 2008 of users having the EXACT same problem?

Him: We don't recognize any other forum than Avast.com being valid

Me: Really because the fix that got me on websites was from the Microsoft forum, the reply I found being from one of their tech support

Him: Well we don't recognize those forums as being accurate

Me: Ok tyvm for you time

Him: Ok have a blessed day

At this point I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled AVG

Guess what

Problem solved......
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:06:38 PM by krassofnod »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
Did you try GUI>Settings>Updates>Proxy Settings>Direct connection (no proxy)  :)

The best place to get assistance is right here on the forums.
The only reason I can think of them (third party support) telling you the only forum they recognize is avast(dot)com
is they wanted to rip you off. Our advice, here on the forums, is free. And we will more than likely assist you
in solving your issue better than them.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

krassofnod

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
yeh posted this before I called support - the support I called was the support number FROM the avast program itself.

but like I said problem solved i uninstalled it, which is a bummer because I have used Avast for 6 + years with no problems until now

and ty for the reply btw.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
What did you have before Avast ? And did it have a firewall

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
Please contact our third party support person nekvapil(at)avast(dot)com

Include the link to this thread and he will be able to rectify this bad situation.
You will find him to be very supportive and will listen to what you are saying.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.