Author Topic: Avast 8 caused Win 7 SP1 Pro 64bit to Black Screen  (Read 1450 times)

avastuser513

Avast 8 caused Win 7 SP1 Pro 64bit to Black Screen
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
Well today i wanted to restart my pc, and everything worked perfect (had avast for many years, never had a real problem with it).
when the system restarted, i had a window saying that 2 processes are currently working and then it restarted the pc without me confirming the restart (restart apperantely force the processes to stop without confirm).
anyway, after the reboot i logged to windows, and it said "loading windows.." for 2 minutes, then a black screen with cursor.
i restarted the pc, and again black screen, restarted again, again the same thing, i pressed the power button and then pressed it again.
logged in to windows the same way, logged in a second like it should, how? i didn't change anything.

so i entered the system, avast opened a red bubble saying "avast couldn't be updated", so i tried to update it myself, got "avast package is broken" - without even trying to update, similar error when i tried reinstalling, every other software including comodo firewall works perfectly,
only avast gone mad.
no sig update, no software update, restarted the pc twice, still package error, tried reinstall, still different error - finally i uninstalled and ran avast uninstaller to remove any other reg and files leftovers, and after that another restart
and installed again.

now avast works (update without problems) and system load in a second, tested at least 10 times, no problems.
the question here is: what happened?
i didnt install anything, the pc was running silent for a day without me doing anything, came to the pc restarted, the system closed 2 processes (i couldnt see which) and then boom avast killed the system.
any chance avast tried to update itself silently and with a bit of bad luck the restart brute forced it to close?
thanks from advance (no boot errors with *.sys btw).

EDIT: Not sure what the error said, but it was an internal error within the program, it couldnt update anything and reinstall crashed too, even restart didnt fix it, network connection was ok.
and i know avast caused this black screen, but how 2 restarts did nothing but power off and on fixed the black screen?!!?
no viruses ofcourse and windows is updated.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:18:58 AM by avastuser513 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast 8 caused Win 7 SP1 Pro 64bit to Black Screen
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
You are probably right in that the force restart whilst Avast was updating probably broke it.  The two reboots were probably windows repairing itself if you have windows 7 or better