Author Topic: Avast Gobbled Up a Program! HELP!!  (Read 2920 times)

sktrsmw

Avast Gobbled Up a Program! HELP!!
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:51 PM »
Help!! I clicked o to my photo editing program and Avast immediately quarantined it as being potentially harmful. I have had this program for 15 years and it is fine. HOW do I get this program back out of quarantine so I can use it?????

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Gobbled Up a Program! HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »
You can upload files and report to avast  here: http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php

you can use mail

send to virus@avast.com in a password protected zip file
mail subject:  False Positive / undetected sample (select subject according to your case)
zip password:  infected

or you can send files from avast chest
how to use the chest.   http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21

aztony

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:03:31 AM »
Help!! I clicked o to my photo editing program and Avast immediately quarantined it as being potentially harmful. I have had this program for 15 years and it is fine. HOW do I get this program back out of quarantine so I can use it?????
After confirming it is not a valid threat you should be able to restore it from the virus chest. You can also add the program to 'Exclusions' so that avast won't flag it again.

sktrsmw

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:08:04 AM »
aztony,..I do not see an option in the quarantine chest to restore it. Am I overlooking something? thanks!

sktrsmw

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 01:14:11 AM »
Ok,...I right clicked and saw the options. I clicked Restore,...but I can not find it on my computer. Am I doing it incorrectly?

sktrsmw

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 01:17:31 AM »
...And when I restore it,..WHERE in Avast can I place it as an exclusion so that this does not happen again? thanks!

aztony

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:28:50 AM »
...And when I restore it,..WHERE in Avast can I place it as an exclusion so that this does not happen again? thanks!
Yes, in the virus chest select the file and right click on it just like you did, and click restore. To exclude the program open the avast GUI, at the top right of the screen you'll see Account and Settings. Click on 'Settings' there'll be a list of options on the left screen. Select 'exclusions' or it might say 'global exclusions. Add your program there so that avast knows to ignore it.

sktrsmw

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 01:51:06 AM »
Thanks so much for this info. I can't believe that I just called Avast and got someone on the phone that told me he needed my credit card number before he could help me. He then said that my card would be charged each month for a year. ????????????? I told him NO WAY,...that I would get a different program before I handed over a credit card number to a stranger. Really a weird call.
I will take your advice and try what you suggested for excluding.

sktrsmw

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 01:56:06 AM »
aztony, what exactly do I type in as the program that I want excluded?  It is  listed as   "aSmallerImage.exe" in the Virus Chest and   item location is C:\TriVista\bin
Thanks Tony!

aztony

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 07:58:53 AM »
aztony, what exactly do I type in as the program that I want excluded?  It is  listed as   "aSmallerImage.exe" in the Virus Chest and   item location is C:\TriVista\bin
Thanks Tony!
Once you click on 'exclusions' to the right of the field 'enter file path' you'll see (2) options 'delete' and 'browse'. Click Browse, you will then have access to the list of programs on your system. Just select which ones you want to exclude.   

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 08:05:16 AM »
aztony,..I do not see an option in the quarantine chest to restore it. Am I overlooking something? thanks!
check out the links in my first post .... upload the file and report it to avast so they can correct any detection
the link at the bottom of my first post tell you how to use the chest

sktrsmw

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
Thanks Pondus. I will try it.