Author Topic: scan stops and waits--why?  (Read 8335 times)

Neil

scan stops and waits--why?
« on: October 01, 2003, 11:38:46 PM »
I started a complete scan at night and walked away from the computer.  I thought when I came back to it in the morning I would see the results screen, but that did not happen.

Avast encountered an apparent virus (inside a zip archive), and stopped with a prompt asking me what to do.  I selected "repair", and only then did the scan continue.  When it finished I saw the results screen telling me that repair was unsuccessful.

Is there any way to avoid that?  Why doesn't the scanner keep going till the end, and then let me know that it found problems and ask what to do with them?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:scan stops and waits--why?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 03:39:22 AM »
Are you using avast! Home or Professional?
How do you start the scan: by Explorer Extension, Virus Cleaner, Simple User Interface or Enhanced User Interface...

The settings for automatic handling a virus file is given only in Professional version but, in Home (Simple User Interface) a window will appear and ask what to do with the virus file (repair, delete, move, move to Virus Chest, etc.) and you can continue the scanning...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 07:38:54 AM »

Avast encountered an apparent virus (inside a zip archive), and stopped with a prompt asking me what to do.
What was the virus that Avast found?

When it finished I saw the results screen telling me that repair was unsuccessful.
Have you ran the scan again?  If not, then do so. This time select MOVE to chest.  I do not believe that Avast will "enter" a zip archive to repair a file.  Once it has been moved to the Chest, it cannot harm your computer even if you open it there.  The key here is to isolate the virus if you cannot immediately clean it.

Is there any way to avoid that?  Why doesn't the scanner keep going till the end, and then let me know that it found problems and ask what to do with them?
Technical's comments are correct.  My own opinion regarding automatic removal is I would not want to automatically delete any file/s unless I was sure that in doing so, the computer would not be harmed further.  I always like to "identify" a virus to insure that it is not a false positive!  If I can immediatley identify the "virus" as real, then I delete it.  If not, it gets moved to the chest for analysis.

Let's make sure that your computer is virus free, and then we can talk politics.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 07:41:46 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 02:21:42 PM »
Let's make sure that your computer is virus free, and then we can talk politics.  ;D

Not have a virus is good.
Have a good antivirus is better.
Avast is the best!  ;D

Neil

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 03:27:30 PM »
Are you using avast! Home or Professional?
How do you start the scan: by Explorer Extension, Virus Cleaner, Simple User Interface or Enhanced User Interface...

Avast 4 Home, starting from "simple interface".

The settings for automatic handling a virus file is given only in Professional version but, in Home (Simple User Interface) a window will appear and ask what to do with the virus file (repair, delete, move, move to Virus Chest, etc.) and you can continue the scanning...  ;)

I'm NOT asking for "automatic handling".  I don't have a problem with the window appearing and asking me what to do.  I just want that window to appear AFTER the ENTIRE scan is done.

Before using Avast I had tried AVG Free version.  I like avast much better and will not likely switch back.

But AVG did one thing right:  When I ran a complete scan, it did not stop.  It went all the way to the end.  Then and only then, it asked me what to do with each suspect file it found.

That's what Avast should do also.

Neil

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 03:34:18 PM »
Technical's comments are correct.  My own opinion regarding automatic removal is I would not want to automatically delete any file/s unless I was sure that in doing so, the computer would not be harmed further.  I always like to "identify" a virus to insure that it is not a false positive!  If I can immediatley identify the "virus" as real, then I delete it.  If not, it gets moved to the chest for analysis.

I agree with everything you have said above.  My only problem is with the timing.  I would like to see the scanner finish the scan first, and then ask the questions.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 06:41:18 PM »
You want it, you got it.

Open the file <avast4>\DefTasks.xml in Notepad.
Add the following lines to the end, immediately above the </DefTasks> statement:

Code: [Select]
  <Task>
      <Label>*Simple</Label>
      <Job>Scan</Job>
      <VirusAction>;</VirusAction>
   </Task>
Save the file.
Now either restart the avast service (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services), or restart the computer.

That's it. :)

Take care,
Vlk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 06:41:52 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Neil

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 09:51:14 PM »
You want it, you got it.

Add the following lines to the end, immediately above the </DefTasks> statement:

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.

Avast is great!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 02:33:35 PM »
How can I fight agaist Vlk?
He knows everything... he has just the exact answer for everthing...
It´s a pity he could´n be omnipresent  ;D

Neil

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 02:53:30 PM »

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.

Sorry to report it did not help.  The scan still stopped as soon as it found a suspicious file.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 03:01:15 PM »
Can you send me the deftasks.xml file to make sure you have it right?

Also, have you restarted?

Thanks,
Vlk

PS. Technical, don't take it personally. :) I admit - I am cheating.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 03:08:55 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 04:03:42 PM »
PS. Technical, don't take it personally. :) I admit - I am cheating.

Of course I do not take it personally...
You´re paid for it...  ;D
Although I admire how much you know!  ;)