Author Topic: Problem with Avast  (Read 5120 times)

doccubus_shipper

Problem with Avast
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:20:43 AM »
 >:(
My Dad started having a problem with Avast, started sometime over night. He has it scheduled to run a daily scan over night. When he checked it this afternoon he found that the scan was stuck at 97% after 12 hours. He stopped the scan and restarted it and it seemed to run fine with no problem and found no viruses. We went out for a while and came back and everything seemed to be running fine until about an hour or two ago, at which point my Dad tried to open Microsoft Picture It 1.0 and is saw it as a virus. Picture It has worked fine up and till now when all of a sudden Avast started seeing it as a virus. Now it won't let him open and use the Picture It program. He also found that it appeared that Avast had also deleted a number of other files that it shouldn't have deleted. He did a go back t restore those folders and when he did the go back Avast would not run automatically or manually and several minutes later Mozilla Firefox also stopped working. He had to undo the go back to get Firefox running again, but Avast is still seeing Picture It as a virus and not allowing it to run even after he added it as an exception and told Avast to open it anyway. Is it possible that this is a problem with the latest Avast update (since these problems did not present themselves until the most recent update)? If not does anybody know what the problem is and have and suggestions on how to fix it? Because at this point we are both very frustrated and he is about ready to say the heck with it and just be done with Avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Problem with Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:32:56 AM »
It can be a false positive. Please check avast's log files to see at what point it got stuck in the first place.
What other files are deleted? All with the same file-extension?

Offline redwolfe_98

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »
doccubus_shipper, i suppose that you don't have access to your dad's computer but, if you do, if you can find information in any avast log-files showing what was flagged and why it was flagged, post that..

i would like to see what was flagged and why..

additionally, if it is a case of false-positives, you should let "avast" know about the problem.. in the avast program, on the "support" tab, there is an option, there, for submitting files to "avast".. the option for submitting files is at the bottom of the list, on the "support" tab..

doccubus_shipper

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:13:07 AM »
To my current knowledge he already submitted a report for the false positive. Right now I do not have access to his computer but I will certainly see what specifics I can find out.

doccubus_shipper

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:53:25 AM »
Okay. I have asked him about it again. It seems he know has Picture It finally working, however Avast is now seeing several windows files as viruses, though not just only windows files, it just seems that the vast majority of files it's targeting is windows files.

Erebus

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »
Is his PC running Windows 7? There seems to be mention of many similar issues with the current version of Avast 1497. I have not yet updated my W7 machine as I am hopeful of a new version coming out soon that will hopefully no longer have this bug of detecting system files as viruses.

ghazwan

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Is his PC running Windows 7? There seems to be mention of many similar issues with the current version of Avast 1497. I have not yet updated my W7 machine as I am hopeful of a new version coming out soon that will hopefully no longer have this bug of detecting system files as viruses.
I have a problem Avast update does not work and does not appear to me last time to update what can I do??????????

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »
I have a problem Avast update does not work and does not appear to me last time to update what can I do??????????

Given that you are located in Iraq (according to your profile information), so will fall under the USA embargo on support to certain countries (Iraq being on that list).

Whilst we can't say how to get round this, but I'm sure that you are probably aware of methods.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security