Author Topic: Help with Win32:Sirefef-BTT and Win32:Malware-gen(can't download files)  (Read 7631 times)

Offline redwolfe_98

Re: Help with Win32:Sirefef-BTT and Win32:Malware-gen(can't download files)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
ellroy, the reason that your computer got infected with malware is because you have a VERY old, out-dated version of "java" installed on it.. you need to uninstall all of the old versions of "java" that are installed on your computer..

exploit-kits take advantage of vulnerabilities in "java" in order to install malware on your computer.. with an old version of java installed, your computer is at an EXTREMELY high risk of being infected with malware..

it is better to not have "java" installed, but, if you absolutely have to have it installed, you need to keep it up-to-date.. also, be sure to uninstall the old versions..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:21:03 PM by redwolfe_98 »

argus

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
How's your computer behaving now?
argus, i am not one of the "experts" who help people, but i noticed something in the last FRST log that ellroy posted:

Code: [Select]
Winsock: Catalog5 01 %SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll [232448] (Microsoft Corporation) ATTENTION: The LibraryPath should be "%SystemRoot%\system32\NLAapi.dll"
Winsock: Catalog5-x64 01 %SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll [326144] (Microsoft Corporation) ATTENTION: The LibraryPath should be "%SystemRoot%\system32\NLAapi.dll"

there might be some other issues...

You do not have to worry about that.

argus

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
Visiting Secunia Online Software Inspector ...

Free Online Computer Scan - Online Software Inspector (OSI) - Secunia
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Click 'Start Scanner'
    Wait for Status/Currently Processing: at the lower left to say 'Java Applet loaded successfully. (allow java to run) Press "Start" to begin.'
    Click 'Start'.
    The scan should take less than a minute or so.
    When done, download and install all the recommended updates.

argus

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »
Please download Services Repair tool, available here,  and save it to your Desktop. Right click on it and select Run As Administrator, follow the prompts. It should reboot when it finishes. If not reboot it yourself.
http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe

ellroy2

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »
Ok, I will do that.  A couple weeks ago I had to take this computer back to factory settings because I had some sort of Windows boot issue that would not allow the system to boot(not even in safe mode) and would not do a system repair or restore.  I suspect that there was a possible issue with AVG(which I was using at the time) that caused this, but not sure.  So that is probably the reason why my Java is out of date.

argus

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »
ellroy2 do not have to worry, malware is gone and those entries only FRST reports.
LSP chain is edited ComboFix.

ellroy2

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »
Thanks again!