Author Topic: system tray icons?  (Read 16078 times)

Taboo

Re: system tray icons?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 09:44:44 PM »
Monkey Freak, I had the same problem. I actually had to uninstall, then re-install avast! to get my icon back. ::)

I have them merged now & it is working, because the "a" icon doesn't disappear. ;D

wishiknew

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 11:30:17 PM »
I did the uninstall/avast cleaner/install to get it back last week.  Disappeared again but some how came back yesterday.

Very weird.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2005, 02:22:11 AM »
I did the uninstall/avast cleaner/install to get it back last week.  Disappeared again but some how came back yesterday.
Very weird.

Another way to fix the problem, just add the path to ashDisp.exe into
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(as the value named avast!).

Are you by any chance using spysweeper?
If so, use the restore/recover or whatever it may be called to restore the deleted registry entry and update your definitions file for spysweeper. It reports incorrectly (false positive) the avast ashDisp.exe which is the icon you see on your system tray.
The best things in life are free.

wishiknew

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005, 02:08:22 PM »
No for spyweeper.  The computer is really just a clean format + drivers + avast for surfing only.

Monkey Freak

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2005, 12:22:03 PM »
i repeat my noobie question again, how i can add that pad?

trigger

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 05:47:30 PM »
run the registry editor. for xp: start-run-regedt32

browse to the key, right click in the right panel and add a character string. Name it avast! en give it a value of C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe or wherever you installed avast and after a reboot the ball will be back. at least in my case it did.

Peter

Rapier

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 06:11:57 PM »

from avast faq

Q: The blue ball icons have disappeared from my system tray. How do I get them back there?

A: If you´re using Windows XP, the icons are probably hidden. In that case right-click on your Taskbar and choose Properties. A dialog box "Taskbar and Start menu properties" would appear. Then uncheck Hide inactive icons check box.

If you´re not using Windows XP, OR if the previous solution doesn't fix the problem, run the ashDisp.exe program (it´s in C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4 directory). It should bring the icons up again. If they disappear after restart again, make a shortcut to the ashDisp.exe file in your Start-up folder.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 06:30:22 PM »
Not sure why you are responding to a topic that hasn't had any activity for over a year.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

philly12

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 01:47:02 AM »
About the two avast! balls dissapearing, I had the same problem but found out by myself that SUPERantispyware was preventing Avast! to start up, because SUPERantispyware has a scanner that prevents some programs to load at startup.  I deleted SUPERantispyware, reinstalled Avast!, and all was well.  If you have SUPERantispyware and have been having problems with Avast!, you might want to delete SUPERantispyware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 02:32:06 PM »
I have SuperAntispyware and I have my icons, just ensure it isn't running on start-up and ensure you check your preferences/options, Start superantispyware when windows starts. This way I use it as an on-demand scanner only.

If you are using the Real-Time Protection uncheck 'scan startup locations in registry when system starts. Tat way you can continue to use superantispyware without the loss of the avast icons, report it to superantispyware.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 09:35:15 PM »
I have SuperAntispyware and I have my icons
Me too...

Start superantispyware when windows starts. This way I use it as an on-demand scanner only.
Yeah, on-demand only is very good  8)
The best things in life are free.