Author Topic: What free firewall does everyone use with avast free AV?  (Read 14485 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: What free firewall does everyone use with avast free AV?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
Yes! Follow these instructions to letter http://www.knightwithapc.com/2011/11/download-comodo-firewall/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/13662/

Untick everything on the first screen>click "custom install">tick only the "firewall" box>click "back">click "install">reboot.  :)

The CFW GUI is extremely easy to navigate. I have all ports stealthed.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

php111

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »
I was going to follow this guide except I don't use my computer for limited. I only use and have one account. http://forums.comodo.com/guides-cis/using-comodo-internet-security-as-an-antiexecutable-t60303.0.html

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
I am the only one using my laptop and I feel very protected with avast and CFW w/D+.
To each their own.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
Many people are not aware that they already may have a hardware firewall which is much better than a software one.
Check your modem/router manual to see if it has a firewall or not.
If it has, login to the modem/router and make adjustments to the settings (if needed/wanted)
If you have a hardware firewall, there is no need to have a software one as well.

As I have said several times before on this webboard:
See the firewall as a doorman.
Put him outside and in front of the door and he will not let unwanted people in. (hardware firewall)
Put him inside and the unwated people are already in before he sees them. (software firewall)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
I used Windows Firewall and my Routers Firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »
Many people are not aware that they already may have a hardware firewall which is much better than a software one.
Check your modem/router manual to see if it has a firewall or not.
If it has, login to the modem/router and make adjustments to the settings (if needed/wanted)
If you have a hardware firewall, there is no need to have a software one as well.

As I have said several times before on this webboard:
See the firewall as a doorman.
Put him outside and in front of the door and he will not let unwanted people in. (hardware firewall)
Put him inside and the unwated people are already in before he sees them. (software firewall)

Most hardware firewalls only provide inbound protection not outbound. Connections originating from your system will be able to get back in to your system without a second glance from your firewall as the request originated from your system.

You only have to browse the viruses and worms forum to see that many are already in your house, they have already got past your firewall and AV. The first people know is when they try to get outbound connections to malicious sites and avast alerts.

So outbound protection is none the less important; to use your analogy, OK the thief has got in, but you want to catch him and not let him out to continue his criminal activity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security