Author Topic: Windows One Care: Microsoft enters on Antivirus Software Industry  (Read 10947 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Microsoft annouced its new product: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/onecare/default.mspx

Windows OneCare is built specifically for people who don't have the time or technical expertise necessary to secure and manage a computer on a daily basis. It is a comprehensive PC health service that goes beyond security to take an integrated approach to help protect and care for your computer. Windows OneCare helps protect and maintain your computer with an integrated service that includes antivirus, firewall, PC maintenance, and data backup and restore functionality. It automatically takes care of key tasks such as running antivirus scans, updating the antivirus engine and virus definitions, updating the firewall, and running a monthly PC tune-up to improve and maintain your computer's performance. Because Windows OneCare is a service, you will not need to wait for a new version in order to help protect your system from new threats or to take advantage of new features. Windows OneCare updates itself automatically over the Internet so you always have the latest technology.

I'm not opening this discussion thread as a space to blame Microsoft. It won't help blaming on Microsoft. What will occur with antivirus software industry? Symantec (here in Brazil) said: we're the leader, we're not worried about competion....
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows One Care: Microsoft enters on Antivirus Software Industry
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:45:06 PM »
If MS does integrate this into the OS, I think that the anti-trust brigade will be out in force again. The issue about MS and the EU over MS Windows Media Player is still not properly resolved (remove WMP integration into windows and a big fine).

I'm sure this is a greater issue than have a media player bundled into the OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hopismum

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 08:56:55 PM »
from what Ive read the past few days it doesnt sound to me as though they plan to integrate it.. (although one never knows)   It will be a subscription service.     

Hopismum

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 08:59:31 PM »
from what Ive read the past few days it doesnt sound to me as though they plan to integrate it.. (although one never knows)   It will be a subscription service.     

Im not about to sign up for the beta as I do NOt want to deal with two conflicting virus programs  LOL

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:01:53 PM »
If MS does integrate this into the OS, I think that the anti-trust brigade will be out in force again.
MS bought a company of antivirus from Romenia.
This 'new' acquired technology and MS Antispyware will be joined now...
They don't think on integrate, as far I could found. They will have an yearly subscription to signatures. It will be another step against piracy too as the signatures will 'check' and validate the system.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 09:07:25 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 09:02:25 PM »
And I can't sign up to the beta because I'm not a US resident.  :(

Hopismum

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 01:55:18 AM »
All in One just never seems to work well anyways.    Im on Cox Cable.   Cox offers its high speed customers free software which includes, virus software,  firewall, popup blocker, spam blocker,  anti spyware , and parental control software.   http://www.cox.com/HighSpeedInternet/security.asp  I do not use it..    Avast, Sygate, Adaware, Spybot, etc etc..  all work fine for me.

Staind

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 03:30:01 AM »
It looks good, integration would cost them millions in fighting the anti-trust lawsuits.

MFB

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 03:39:13 AM »
Hmm, it seems that microsoft wants to join the big AV leagues after making thier antispyware.   :)

Spyros

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 03:18:46 PM »
It will be a subscription service.     
Rumours say it will be 10$/month. 120$/year is simply too much for an AV for a simple home PC. It may be good for business PC's and I think that's where they'll be aiming with this product.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 03:29:02 PM »
Rumours say it will be 10$/month. 120$/year is simply too much for an AV for a simple home PC. It may be good for business PC's and I think that's where they'll be aiming with this product.

Well thats about 10$/month-120$/year to much for this little black duck I think I'll let Billy

keep it all to himself :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 06:51:11 AM by P3t3rb0nn »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

MFB

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 03:35:46 AM »
Agree, if it was free, I'm telling you, people will swarm over this program like what they did to Microsoft Antispyware Beta when it came out for free.   ;)

Spyros

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 10:06:05 AM »
# Provides a comprehensive PC health service
Windows OneCare helps protect and maintain your computer with an integrated service that includes antivirus, firewall, PC maintenance, and data backup and restore functionality.
# Works automatically to help provide hassle-free protection and maintenance
Windows OneCare automatically takes care of key tasks such as running antivirus scans, updating the antivirus engine and virus definitions, updating the firewall, and running a monthly PC tune-up to improve and maintain your computer’s performance.
# Continuously evolves to help protect you from the latest threats
Because Windows OneCare is a service, you will not need to wait for a new version in order to be protected from new threats or to take advantage of new features. Windows OneCare updates itself automatically over the Internet so you always have the latest technology.
http://beta.windowsonecare.com/

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 10:49:54 AM »

OneCare another hit in the pocket by M$ "but it runs quietly in the background!!" good to know  ::)
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Spyros

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 11:05:15 AM »
OneCare another hit in the pocket by M$

...and here's another one:
Microsoft Acrylic (beta): illustration, painting and graphics tool that provides exciting creative capabilities for designers working in print, web, video, and interactive media.
http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/