Author Topic: Will you keep the avast! for Linux died?  (Read 19548 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Will you keep the avast! for Linux died?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
I'm sure that's all true.

But it still doesn't change my view that the safest set-up is probably root password locked and password prompt for every use of elevated privileges.

Seasons greetings to all linuxers and avasters!

One set up provides the desktop user with full root privileges, the other provides the desktop user with full root privileges. You are free to choose with you think is the safest.

;)
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »
It's not sudo that PCLinux doesn't like: it's the way Ubuntu uses it.
Good to hear from you FreewheelinFrank ! I remember you helped me get started "online", with a Dual boot setup of  PCLinuxOS years ago, have tried others but it's a close commuity were I can pick peoples brains.

I use PCLinuxOS KDE 'MiniMe' not the full Monty, so as I can build my system how I like it.

As you quoted from that blurb by Old-Polack -  Well yep, that's why I say not to use 'Sudo', cos Old-Polack says not to, In The Manner Of The Buntus = ITMOTB
We have always supported the proper use of sudo as a limiting resource, when root privileges are needed for a specific repeatable purpose, such as when needed for the proper functioning of an application, within a script, or when a specific user on a multi user system is assigned limited administrative duties, but is not allowed access to the root password or full root privileges. This is the purpose for which sudo was intended.

I've never used 'Buntu, so,... heck do as you please guys. I may be wrong, go use 'sudo' if you have to.

Personally, I've never needed to use 'sudo'. But, I'm using PCLinuxOS, so just consider that, and the rave in the link FreewheelinFrank posted from PCLinuxos Forums.

mag, your on the same page as the rest of us, don't use "elevated privileges" longer than needed is how i take it.

Merry Christmas to you all, it's officially Christmas (2.15 am) on the 25/12/2012 here in Australia. Plus my bedtime.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:18:04 PM by Abraxas »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
It's not sudo that PCLinux doesn't like: it's the way Ubuntu uses it.
Good to hear from you FreewheelinFrank ! I remember you helped me get started "online", with a Dual boot setup of  PCLinuxOS years ago, have tried others but it's a close commuity were I can pick peoples brains.

I use PCLinuxOS KDE 'MiniMe' not the full Monty, so as I can build my system how I like it.

As you quoted from that blurb by Old-Polack -  Well yep, that's why I say not to use 'Sudo', cos Old-Polack says not to, In The Manner Of The Buntus = ITMOTB
We have always supported the proper use of sudo as a limiting resource, when root privileges are needed for a specific repeatable purpose, such as when needed for the proper functioning of an application, within a script, or when a specific user on a multi user system is assigned limited administrative duties, but is not allowed access to the root password or full root privileges. This is the purpose for which sudo was intended.

I've never used 'Buntu, so,... heck do as you please guys. I may be wrong, go use 'sudo' if you have to.

Personally, I've never needed to use 'sudo', there's no need with a single user System is what I understand, 'su' does the job just fine; then I type -  "exit" - immediately I've finished 'rooting around'.  ;) But, I'm using PCLinuxOS, so just consider that, and the rave in the link FreewheelinFrank posted from PCLinuxos Forums.

mag, your on the same page as the rest of us, don't use "elevated privileges" longer than needed is how i take it.

Merry Christmas to you all, it's officially Christmas (2.15 am) on the 25/12/2012 here in Australia. Plus my bedtime.

Hi Abraxas,

My point is that the link does not say don't use Sudo, it says use it for what it was intended for, if you really need it.

That is to give users a strictly limited subset of root privileges.

To use Sudo by itself does not open up a security hole, especially if used as intended and desired by PCLinuxOS. Even as used by Ubuntu it is secure if used according to the Ubuntu rational.

I use Debian with no Sudo myself, but I used Ubuntu for a couple of years with no security issues.

Merry Christmas to you and all for the morrow.

FwF.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

jmet1948

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
I'm sure that's all true.

But it still doesn't change my view that the safest set-up is probably root password locked and password prompt for every use of elevated privileges.

Seasons greetings to all linuxers and avasters!

Can you please teach me how I can set up my Linux Mint maya 32-bit mate  this way?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:12:14 PM by jmet1948 »