Author Topic: Why is Avast free so bloated  (Read 12544 times)

rayi34

Why is Avast free so bloated
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:05:42 AM »
I installed Avast on this Dell Latitude D610 Pentium M 1.9 running WinXP pro and I couldn't get the laptop to respond. This a freshly installed WinXP where I deleted the hard drive. I had a heck of a time uninstalling the latest free Avast. Once I got Avast uninstalled, I knew Avast was the problem because the laptop was responsive again. I am experimenting with other free anti virus programs.  I just helped a friend restore his laptop. I know it's an older computer but? I personally don't use such older computers anymore; I don't run anything lower than a DualCore and don't even run WinXP. But I have noticed that Avast has become very bloated and I really don't want to even use it anymore. I have been thinking of trying something else. I've used Avast for a long time. I don't know if it's because of all  the ads. It's almost like Avast has become what we are trying to get rid of. Sorry but it has to be said.

iroc9555

Re: Why is Avast free so bloated
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:09 AM »
No problems here in my faithfull XP workhorse. As you can see in the image just 10 MB of memory and no CPU usage with a bunch of windows open.

Where did you download your installer from ?  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
Any other security program running ?
What firewall ?

To uninstall avast! just run aswclear.exe

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
hi rayi34,

Also, did you check for any other a/v's, past or present:  http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle  Use link to completely remove any left-over drivers from uninstalled a/v's used in the past, including any old trial versions that came with the system when new.  Reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Samson63

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »
Running the latest version of Avast! Free here on a similar machine. DELL Latitude D610, 2GHz Pentium M and 2GB RAM. XP pro SP3 No problems with Avast! and for an old machine it flies  :)

Neeneewan

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »
I had this problem with another free antivirus and my computer ultimately crashed. I have a new hard drive and someone recommended Avast. I've had it for a couple months now, and yesterday it was telling me I needed an update (even tho everyday I hear the voice in the morning saying Avast Antivirus has been updated).  So I clicked to update and it required a reboot. When I rebooted a screen came up saying something about DOWNLOADING GOOGLE CHROME AND THE GOOGLE CHROME TOOLBAR!! I canceled that and went in and uninstalled Google Chrome and the toolbar but ever since,  my computer has been acting strange, just like it did with the other free software. This really pisses me off. I think I'm going to have to get rid of Avast.  With the previous software, someone had told me it was a "bloated" software and now it appears that Avast is as well. So annoying.....

rayi34

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
I don't know what happened and why. We are talking about a machine that was freshly reinstalled with no software added yet; but the one person who said he has a similar Dell Latitude D610 has 2 gig of memory. This one only has 1 gig of memory. I guess 1 gig of memory is not enough. So Avast must consume a lot of memory. I will leave it up to the person who owns this laptop to add more memory but I personally wouldn't spend the money to buy 2 more gigs.

aztony

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
I currently run avast on a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop, XP3. This pc is limited to 1Gb ram, and I have tried different touted lite AVs to get the best performance out of it. AVG performance was about the same as avast, Panda Cloud about the same, Bitdefender free had noticeably better performance, but the program was/is too buggy at present. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:36:20 PM by aztony »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
The cost of adding RAM is worth it since 1GB isn't that much.
I wouldn't use any machine with less than 2GB.
RAM is doesn't cost all that much. IMHO  :)

If you want to see bloatware check out CIS v6.2.xxxx.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Arnold72

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »
The cost of adding RAM is worth it since 1GB isn't that much.
I wouldn't use any machine with less than 2GB.
RAM is doesn't cost all that much. IMHO  :)

If you want to see bloatware check out CIS v6.2.xxxx.  ;D
indeed.
comodo is putting on weight as it grows older unfortunately.

true indian

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »
Bloat? What is bloat in Avast and CIS? Are there any useless features from end user point of view? NO is the answer.

Nothing is bloated its just some people's dilemma.

rayi34

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
You just have to get a better computer to keep up. Now we can add 32 gigs of RAM and more in even newer motherboards. But lately, due to trends in smaller devices like iPhones, ipads, etc, hardware and software developers are thinking more in terms of making things less resource demanding. Everything adds up like pop up ads and so forth in Avast. There is always competition to make something take up less resources. But yes, bloat is someones dilemma.. I personally am frustrated with older computers and hate to work on them. Some people hang on to them. I recently bought a decent Dell Latitude Core2duo on ebay for $85 rather than spending money to upgrade older machines. Windows 7 runs core2duos very well for general use, rather than fighting with older Pentium 4(M).

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
Bloat? What is bloat in Avast and CIS? Are there any useless features from end user point of view? NO is the answer.

Nothing is bloated its just some people's dilemma.
CIS v5.12   93.60 MB Download
CIS v6.3   204.34 MB Download

110 MB difference is not a dilemma?
Nope, it's bloatware.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

true indian

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »

That is download size,no bloat lol  ;D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 06:47:03 PM »

That is download size,no bloat lol  ;D
The download size "is" bloated indicating that the software "is" bloated.  ;D

cooby

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
I disagree on having to get rid of old or small XP because  Avast is "bloated".
Avast runs perfectly here, XP-Pro-Sp3 Pentium4, 1g RAM. Runs ok on Pentium3 with 500meg Ram, but that is slow by definition and xp-pro not even supported on it, though runs just fine.
Just defragment once a year or so, don't pile up zillions of security products, disable unnecessary windows services, don't let every installed program to run at startup, use CCleaner to get rid of accumulated trash and I hardly ever see more than 60-65% RAM use, 37% at most if not surfing the wild web.