Author Topic: Not Enabled?  (Read 22995 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Not Enabled?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 03:03:40 AM »
Click on avast! icon with your left mouse button. When window opens, If it's not already open, click at DETAILS...>> button to open left side panel with those icons that represents your providers.

Now, when you are able to see those icons, start those providers that you want to use... for the beginning, let's start with STANDARD SHIELD and mail provider. Now read carefully... if you are using Outlook Express or any other mail provider you will need to start INTERNET MAIL provider. If you use MS OUTLOOK (Huge difference between those two) then you don't need INTERNET MAIL provider, but you need to start OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE provider...

See what happens now...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Col Colt

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 03:13:13 AM »
Well-believe it or not I have it fixed before I saw your last recommendation. went into services and applications>services and every one that showed up with avast was disabled??Don't know how that happened but I changed it to automatic, rebooted and it's back without the red circle!! Now here's another kicker. By doing this, and I don't think it has anything to do with what i did, I lost BoClean and Winpatrol in the System tray. Don't know where they went. Sometimes I'd just like to take my hog leg and blast this thing!!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 03:21:06 AM »
You see ? And you said you couldn't find those services over there... after you changed database value to XML, they appeared there... so it helped I would say.

No need to blast your PC... just calm down... unfortunatelly I don't use Winpatrol nor BoClean, so I can not give you any advice regarding those two... but, you can always try to reset your computer few times and you'll see if they come back... sometimes it just works...

If you didn't touch their services, there shouldn't be anything else to block those two from starting. Are you sure that your HIDE INACTIVE ICONS option is not enabled ? Right click START button in WINDOWS and click on PROPERTIES... Now chose TASKBAR tab, and see at the bottom what it says...

I know some people in these forums using WinPatrol without any problems along with avast!... they have no problems at all....
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Col Colt

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 03:32:25 AM »
Hmmmm...everytime I reboot I have to loggin again. Anyway. hide inactive icons is not checked so that's ok.

One thing did arise after I rebooted. There was a prompt from Avast about Zone Alarm I use...something about incompatiable software detected about ZA's privacy settings. Can't recall all it said. They asked me something about whether I wanted to disable the webshield transparent proxy mode....can't recall the rest. Don't know what that was all about.

At any rate, I do have virus protection again!!  This is the first time in three years I've used anything but NIS and it feels strange. I almost feel like I've cheated on my wife!! ;D

Thanks for the help... sure wouldn't have gotten there otherwise. :-*

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 03:40:59 AM »
No problem... and regarding that ZoneAlarm message... actually that's the avast! alarming you about incompatibility issues between ZoneAlarm Professional (note it's not regarding Freeware version) and avast! WEB SHIELD provider. Alwil guys already alarmed ZoneLabs about that problem, and they are working on it... How ZoneLabs are fast, we'll see...

If you are using ZA freeware edition, you don't have to worry at all... just click NO and that's it... otherwise you will disable WEB SHIELD feature in avast! or you would have to set your web shield work through proxies...

Cheers !

Col Colt

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 04:09:29 AM »
I got the one that's good for a year with the license key so I guess I'm ok.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 01:27:29 PM »
No, sorry I had to make myself more specific... I wasn't talking about avast! freeware version, I was talking about ZoneAlarm freeware version. Zone Alarm Freeware is not affected, it's only ZA Professional version (because of those privacy features which can not be found in freeware version, although freeware version also have some "transparent" privacy features).

When it comes to that, there is no huge difference between avast! Pro and Home edition... both of them comes with WEB SHIELD, and that's the key point in this case...

So to resume... doesn't matter if you have avast! Pro or avast! Home Edition, however it does matter if you have ZoneAlarm Freeware or Pro version. With ZA freeware version, there are no reported issues... on the other side, with ZA Pro, if avast! web shield is enabled and if it's not set to go through proxies, more than likely you'll experience some problems visiting certain web sites. That's why, avast! alarmed you with that window you mentioned. You could completely disable WEB SHIELD (which btw is not the best thing you can do), or set it to work through proxies. There are some threads in this forum explaining how to do that...

Cheers !

azjim

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »
If you know how, you have to edit your avast4.ini file. Default location (as I mentioned in my previous post) of that file is:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini

Opet that file with your NOTEPAD, and change this line under [COMMON] section:

Database=ODBC

to this:

Database=XML

I hope you see the difference now... you have to replace ODBC with XML

NOTE: SAVE YOUR new INI FILE AND YOU MUST RESTART YOUR SYSTEM AFTER YOU SAVED YOUR NEW VERSION OF AVAST4.INI FILE ! DO NOT FORGET TO DO THAT ! Otherwise, nothing will work properly...

That should do the trick... let me know does that solves your problem...

Cheers !

Thx that did the trick for me   happy to have that little @ spinning!!!! ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 09:10:01 PM »
azjim, welcome to avast forums...
Can you resize your avatar? It's too big and could bring difficulties for dial-up users  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Col Colt

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 12:06:34 AM »
sZc...before I forget it, a guy named David Podracky emailed me today from Avast but, I couldn't find out what it was all about because I can't open any email. As I believed I mentioned early on, I've lost the ability to send or receive messages via my regular email client, IncrediMail/Firefox for some reason that hasn't been answered yet despite going to IncrediMail and about five other forums. I can't even get into IE due to that same message I get when I try to open CWShredder,".....(program)has encountered a problem and needs to close." I get this on no less that half a dozen different programs or Help columns within a program. Anyway, perhaps he wrote about the problem I had earlier and I was going to tell him all was ok now but couldn't.

As for Zone Alarm, yes, I have the Pro version downloaded. That's no doubt why I received that message earlier....sure wished I had my email service back. Must be a common problem with several programs to include IncrediMail and IE as well.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 12:35:07 AM »
Sorry Col Colt, I've lost you there... I don't understand when do you have those problems with Incredimail and IE. Incredimail is mail client as far as I am aware... and IE is internet browser. I just don't see connection between those two, but apparently I believe you are experiencing some problems... please, explain it little bit closer if possible.

Regarding that ZA incompatibility message you've got from avast!, you didn't get it because you have ZoneAlarm Professional installed. Everybody who uses ZoneAlarm, regardless is it ZA Freeware or ZA Professional version, will see that message when avast! is first time started. It's up to you if you want to disable avast! web shield (or go through proxies) or not.

I know some people from these forums use ZA Professional and they never experienced any problems with WEB shield... 1000 different configurations, 1000 different behaviors...

Cheers !

Col Colt

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 01:28:26 AM »
OK...here's what's happening. I use FF as browser (although IE is installed as on everyone's computer) and IncrediMail is my email client. IncrediMail as of this past Saturday, will not allow me to send/receive messages. Not because of connectivity problems...none there. But when I tried to open a new message the other day, all I got was the familiar buttons/tabs at the top (Preview, Send, Receive, Forward Delete, etc) From there on down, which should have been text in the body of the email, was blank...a light shade of grey. If I tried to send a new message got the same thing.I wrote IncrediMail about it, sent them a screen shot of what I was viewing and they recommended a few things which ultimately did not work. I gave up for the time being.

As for IE, I only use it whenever text gets overlapped sometimes in a given website using FF and I just right cllick and click on "View this page in IE". Won't let me go there anymore because a box pops up and says, "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." I get this same message whenever CWShredder is opened except it just says, "CWShredder has encountered a problem.....". NIS also gave this same problem as did several others. All this started happening after the email problems above...same day and since then. That's the main reason I got Avast and Zone Alarm. Norton gave me the same scenario with the box each time I tried to open either NIS or the anti virus icon in the system tray. The only difference was with the anti virus icon when clicked...no box with the message in it. I only got  an outline of a box that should have had info in it about NAV. Instead, I got the outline with my desktop icons in the background...a clear box in other words. I got aggravated after two days with this and uninstalled NIS. That's when I downloaded ZA and Avast.

Hope you see what I'm trying to spell out. It's a two problem thing. Emai and inability to bring up some programs without that box. There must be a common thread somewhere as I can open and run Spybot, AdAware and other protection programs. Even MailWasher Pro gave me a problem tryng to get into their Help tab...that is Help>Program Help. I got a similar error box when I clicked on that..."MailWasher.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." So, it seems there's too much of this going on and I don't know what's happened. I even did a system restore and that didn't work. Matter of fact neither did uninstalling Norton. The problem is still there.

Col Colt

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 01:41:56 AM »
One other thing I failed to mention...just did another HJT scan and was curious if you know about the files below....several are tied to Avast.

st! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 04:38:04 AM »
One other thing I failed to mention...just did another HJT scan and was curious if you know about the files below....several are tied to Avast.

st! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)

Regarding this... you can sleep peacefully... don't worry at all. Everything is under control. That a small overlook in HijackThis. It's been already reported to them many times, and we are waiting for them to fix that little glitch. Everything regarding avast! in your HijackThis log is perfectly OK... I'm starting to get tired explaining to every single soul (nothing personally, just telling you that many people already asked about this, and no one is doing anything to change that in HijackThis) all over again about that issue, and I really hope someone will finally do something regarding those "Unknown owner" lines in HijackThis. I really think someone should alarm them again, since this is unacceptable... Respectable program as HijackThis and not recognizing such a respectable program as avast! antivirus is... that's just unacceptable.

Can someone do something regarding that ? Alwil maybe ?

Regarding your problems with certain applications encountering problems and needs to close - well, I can not tell you from here what could be the cause... it could be million different things. However, it looks like some system files could be damaged or missing. I would personally go and try to repair your Windows installation.

Did you say that you still have Norton antivirus installed on your system or I misunderstood you ? You have to be aware that having two or more antiviruses with resident protection enabled on the same computer is going to give you nothing but additional headaches. Also, if you didn't unsinstall Norton properly prior installing avast!, it can lead you to same troubles...

Cheers!

Col Colt

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2005, 05:06:04 AM »
Oh, no!! Norton is gone. It was a good program I've had for three years and the past year has been the best with 0 problmes...until now. I couldn't access the program anymore because otf the "Symantec Integrator has encountered a problem......" I couldn't access the AV part either. So, I just unistalled/reinstalled with more problems.and just deleted it altogether in favor of just ZA and Avast. I'm sure there's still some files/folders with Norton's signaute ono it and will do a search for 'Symantec' and 'Norton' to find them....I hope. This email problem is really bugging me as well as why I can't access the mail sent.