Author Topic: Not Enabled?  (Read 22994 times)

Hopismum

Re: Not Enabled?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2005, 06:09:21 AM »
Oh, no!! Norton is gone. It was a good program I've had for three years and the past year has been the best with 0 problmes...until now. I couldn't access the program anymore because otf the "Symantec Integrator has encountered a problem......" I couldn't access the AV part either. So, I just unistalled/reinstalled with more problems.and just deleted it altogether in favor of just ZA and Avast. I'm sure there's still some files/folders with Norton's signaute ono it and will do a search for 'Symantec' and 'Norton' to find them....I hope. This email problem is really bugging me as well as why I can't access the mail sent.

Check this:   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12669.msg106954#msg106954

It will help you to totally eradicate Norton from your system

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2005, 12:36:38 PM »
Yes my friend... first completely search your system for any and all Norton leftovers... but still, I strongly believe that some of your essential Windows system files are corrupt or gone... I would really go with OS repair if you ask me, because all this looks exactly like that...

Post back and let us know what you managed to do...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Col Colt

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »
In a way I'm a bit unsure about deleting ALL Norton files because when I first did the uninstall, during all this Norton had a box that said "uninstall would save my settings" so I wouldn't have to go through all that again and that they would be saved in a "TEMP" file on my hard drive if I wanted to reinstall. Well-that's find but, where they saved those settings are anone's guess! Anyway, I have found more files/folders but don't know where this TEMP file is. In the event I decide I want to use Norton again in a week or two and don't like ZA and I can't find this file it's a mess setting all that up again. I remember all too well the incessant pop ups from them warning about this and that when I first installed it. :o

At any rate, I believe also there must be some corrupt file(s) or something to that effect, somewhere as too many programs are acting the same. I even have trouble loggin in here as I have to do it several times. If I leave the home page where it shows I'm loggged in and go anwhere else,like here for instance, I have to loggin again to post a question/response. This is not the only case where I have to do this either. So, there must be a common thread, problem somewhere.

I don't even want to think about doing a clean install!! if that's what is meant by "OS repair work".  :'(

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »
Well, if you wanna have clean system, you have to be aware that all those different antivirus leftovers will just give you even more troubles... you mentioned Norton (antivirus I believe)... that guy is killing with avast!. Also, you mentioned ZA. I guess you meant on Zone Alarm antivirus, and not on ZA firewall, since firewalls in general won't be on your way... Of course, you may experience additional problems if you wanna run Norton firewall and ZA firewall in the same time. If you meant on Norton antivirus, then Norton is third antivirus you mentioned. I'm not sure 'cause I can't check your system from here, but I believe that everything in messed up over there... especially when you say that you are experiencing so many different problems... you have to decide which one of those programs do you want to use... either avast!, or Norton antivirus or some third product... can't use them all in the same time on the same machine without causing those troubles.

My advice is... clean your system completely (even if that requires complete format and re-installation of your OS)... sometimes there is no other solution, but that doesn't mean you will lose your personal documents and stuff. If you search these threads a little, I'm sure you'll get tons of posts (I posted in many of them) explaining how important is to perform back ups of your system on regular basis. If you did that, you wouldn't have these problems now. I'm not talking about System restore... that's a child's play comparing to real backup tools. You need something like Ghost or some other back-up utility. You can back up just one partition to image file or if you like, you can backup whole system in just about 10 minutes... when some problems like this occurs with your system, you can just take one of those backup image files, and restore your system to any of those previous safe points in about 5 minutes. No hassle, nothing... but to be able to do that, you should have been made that backup while your system was still in good condition... I am afraid, if you want to have clean system as you had before these problems started to appear, there is nothing else than just reformat everything and start all over again. There is just too many problems on your system, and I'm sure it would be very very hard to locate all of them, even if I am close to your system right now... sometimes there is nothing else to do, than to clean it from the scratch. No one will do that for you, and your system won't heal all of a sudden... you'll just go into problems deeper and deeper, because one will invoke another one and so on, and so on... sometimes, systems become so "dirty" that there is no utility in the world that can clean them up.

Btw, by "repair work" I meant on Windows XP reapir function. Sometimes, you don't have to reinstall everything from the scratch (some minor problems and situations), it's enough to proceed with Windows XP reapir. You will have to use your original Windows XP cd. Google little bit and you'll find thousands of pages explaining how to perform repair of your OS. One of them is this one:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Note: Read carefully every single word that guy wrote over there, and don't just press OK and/or CANCEL... it's very important to follow every single step he explained on that page...

But, still... I am sure in your case, best possible thing would be to format your HD and start all over again... Of course it's up to you... but you'll just have more and more problems.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 06:13:56 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Col Colt

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2005, 07:53:11 PM »
I tried posting a couple of hours ago but it never showed up...don't know if this will.

I only have one anti virus program...Avast. Also, one firewall-ZA Pro. I uninstalled NIS so I could add these two. They are all I have currently.

I do have a program I use called BackUP MY PC that I use about every three months to do a complete backup. After I do this (usually requires 10-14 discs) I do a differential backup about every 7-10 days and save that. I've never had to use these discs before and don't know if that would solve my problems or not. I last did a differential backup about a week before all these problems occurred. What do you think of this program and trying it?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
Well, frankly I've never heard of that one, since I use Norton Ghost only. However, after you mentioned it, I've read some articles on the internet few minutes ago and it seems like another good program. I really can not tell you more about it, especially I've never tried it in my life... in case I give you my advice to proceed with restoring your backup, and something goes wrong, I can't take that responsibility. You have to decide what to do... If you think that particular backup image file is from the period when everything was OK, if that's my system, I would certainly go with restore option... anyway, there is no other option since your system behaves very strange...

Again, it's up to you, after all, that's your personal system. Add and divide all those pluses and minuses and you'll see what's best for you to do...

Cheers !

Col Colt

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2005, 09:40:30 PM »
I think the best thing for me to do (IF I were a drinking man) is to sit in the recliner for a while, reflect on my youth, and have a few beers!! ;D However since that's not the case, I'll just go out and have a smoke (something else I don't need) for a while. Formerly, I've been able to figure out most of the problmes I've had on the computer, which haven't been that many till now. Lately, I've hit a cross roads and feel like a blind dog in a meat house...don't know which way to go!! Maybe if I click my heels together and repeat..."There's no place like IE", it will come back and so will my email client. (Only on Fantasy Island)

My most gracious thanks for the time and trouble spent on this thread that won't seem to die...I feel it's already nearly killed me!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2005, 09:51:44 PM »
No problems, I know exactly how do you feel right now... We are here to try to help you, even though this particular problem has nothing to do with avast! at this point. If I can do anything else for you, just scream  ;D

As I told you, I still think that reformat and reinstall of OS, or restoring your backup image, would be best possible thing you can do... after all, it will take you just few hours to reinstall everything, and other not-so important programs you had before, you can install after that during next few days without any pressure... just calm down, and everything will be fine. You should see my backups, and how concerned I am when I have to back up something... more than 80 Gb of my personal stuff, all those graphics I ever drew, all my songs, skins, animations, flash web site templates I did, logos, avatars and many many other things... when you spend more than 15 years by now on doing things like that, believe me, you don't wanna lose anything... and you easily learn how to back up your system... and best of all, you learn that you have to do that on regular basis...

Cheers !

Col Colt

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2005, 11:07:18 PM »
It's odd, I can surf the Internet with no problem, access my program files, MailWasher Pro works (except for the help part) and so many other things work as before except the email and IE and those message boxes. Even my newly acquired ZA help box has the same message as many other programs. Today, I tried to access their HELP tab and got the ol' familiar, "Zone Labs Client has encountered a problem and needs to close." Too much of this is going on and I KNOW it's all related to something simple. That's the frustrating part of it all.

I may try BackUp My PC this evening. Don't know if it will work or not but as soon as I find the manual that came with the CD I may give it a shot. At this point, I don't thiink it would hurt. If I had 15 years of stuff on my computer I'd croak for sure!! I only have three years on mine...lot of research links I've saved besides the emails and Favorites I'd hate to loose but at this stage of the game...... :-\

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2005, 11:13:19 PM »
...lot of research links I've saved besides the emails and Favorites I'd hate to loose but at this stage of the game......

That's easy to back up somewhere on floppy. Just copy those contents of My Documents folder, as well as your Favorites. If you still can access your old e-mails in Outlook Express, there are some neat utilities out there to back up complete Outlook Express profiles, e-mails, address book and much more...

So, that shouldn't be a problem at all... every single day when I have to replace some old system with brand new at our customers, I always have to back up those information first, before any other thing I need to do. So, that part, believe me, shouldn't give you that much problems as you think...

Cheers !

Col Colt

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 01:25:57 AM »
sZc-Just thought I'd let you know all is well once again in my household. The neighbors threatened to call in animal control so I finally gave up and took the computer to CompUSA about a week back and while they wanted to wipe out my hard drive, I told them if they couldn't find the problem to call me and I would pick it up as I had rather have at least some of the computers' files I had saves and all that research I had done, that to loose it all. They did a clean restore and about all I lost (far as I can tell) was all my Windows Updates. None appeared in Add/Remove programs so, I suppose it's back to square one with that. A few problems getting Spy Sweeper back to the last update I had but now that's ok as well.

Wanted to let you know they couldn't find anything in particular wrong...no spyware, no trojans or viruses-just some corrupt files that was causing the problem. Anyway, my appreciation for your efforts and wanted to let you know so that if anyone runs up on a similar problem all will know  the ill effects I had was not a result of any nasties I may have picked up, but;rather only some corrupt files. Many thanks once again.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 01:44:51 AM »
I'm really glad you finally solved your problems and let's hope those troubles are history now...

Take a look in here, few replies up there in this same thread (Reply #31 by me):

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13568.msg115366#msg115366

This is just a part from my reply:

...but still, I strongly believe that some of your essential Windows system files are corrupt or gone...

So, it looks like it was exactly what I told you... anyway, glad to see you happy finally !  ;D

Cheers !

Col Colt

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 10:26:56 PM »
I hope they're history as well. Twice in two and a half years experiencing something like that is quite enough! Maybe I'll just get a mac and not have to deal with Windows and all their updates and patches. :-\ I felt better about getting someone who was more familiar with a "clean install" than myself. I'm one of those who doesn't feel comfortable unless I know exactly what I'm doing. But, my girlfriend is back! :D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2005, 10:52:01 PM »
But, my girlfriend is back!  :D

Another good news !  ;D

Take care buddy !
Regards !