Author Topic: [bug hunt] update process from avast 8 to avast 2014  (Read 48955 times)

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
[bug hunt] update process from avast 8 to avast 2014
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »

The update process should be smooth and easy. You will be updated to the latest 2014 Beta build (current latest "beta" build # 2014.9.0.2003 (aka RC1)). All components from given avast edition should be present in the updated instance of avast. If there is valid license/not expired registration then all services should be running (or not if you turned them off in avast 8). In other words the setting should be preserved after the update.

If you feel that you found any issue please let us know. We will be interested in setup.logs - they are in two  locations now 1) new logs - C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs and 2) old logs - c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\setup.log  You can either report them to the feedback.avast.com or directly to my email address hasik (a t) avast (d o t) com. Please report avast edition, update path and your OS in the report too, please.

Known issue:
  • aswRegSvr.exe reports "Unable To locate Component atl110.dll" after reboot - already FIXED internally - in Beta3+1 - fixed with RC1 release
thank you and enjoy the Bug Hunt
Lukas.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:41:31 PM by lukas.hasik »
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: [bug hunt] update process from avast 8 to avast 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
Known issue:
* the beta does not install on cpu's who are using the MMX instruction set

BODUL

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
Hi,

Tried to download but again blocked downloads (from avast_a8r3IS) for about 1min (holding_1sec) then downloaded but corrupted file (a8r3) screenshot. blocked from windows.
Reported here:
https://feedback.avast.com/responses/corrupted-downloads-not-solved-avastis-2014-b3
PS. I go to my other PC to download avast8r3. I hope that after upgrading from a8r3 to a2014 everything will be fine.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:40:54 PM by BODUL »

lord ami

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »
Removed previous B3 Premier with uninstall + avastclear and then installed version 8 (free).

Everything went smooth. Just for the sake of testing, I disconnected from the internet in the middle of the update (85MB downloaded, was mostly updating definitions if I got it right). Update obviously failed (Host unreachable). So it asked for restart. Did it, and then ran update again. Worked fine :)!
(I was updating from free to IS trial)

Now trying the same with free v8 to v9

EDIT:
Completely okay. No issues here.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:35:10 PM by Lord Ami »

BODUL

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
Hi,

Upgraded from avast!IS_a8r3 from UI. Everything went good but problem with downloads not solved. :(
I made some screenshots here:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=61459e31facb0aa8#cid=61459E31FACB0AA8&id=61459E31FACB0AA8!113&v=3
Every screenshot in link above taken through uninstallation of avast!IS 2014_B3 and installation through avast!ISa8r3 UI shows important points.
This screenshot shows that downloading problem persists.
Overal upgrading without problems.

Take care...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:15:41 PM by BODUL »

bikemanAMD

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »
Downloaded Avast free r3beta.1, (removed MSE from Secondary Laptop),  installed Avast after that in Admin Account,  rebooted after each program update,  Successfully upgraded to 9.0.2002 without any issues seen so far on that PC

Windows XP 32bit
Previous Av
Microsoft Security Essentials
Now Running Avast 9.0.2002 beta 3

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Known issue:
* the beta does not install on cpu's who are using the MMX instruction set

That doesn't make much sense. MMX is present on like 90% of CPU's. I think they started dropping it on latest series of CPU's in favor of SSE and later instructions...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »
That doesn't make much sense. MMX is present on like 90% of CPU's. I think they started dropping it on latest series of CPU's in favor of SSE and later instructions...
Current Beta won't run on CPUs that don't support SSE2 instruction set (Pentium 3 and Athlon XP generation). For RC, we intend to relax this requirement to just MMX instruction set and that's virtually everyone (the last CPU not supporting MMX was something like Pentium 200 MHz).

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:28:58 AM »
Found a pretty big bug ill be unable to upload logs of any sort untill saturday but on my machine  (win 7 64bit sp1) with beta 3 installed windows media player will not start at all and trying to run a media file (mp4 in my case) returns the error  "C:\Users\desktop\documents ect. Server execution failed)" adding exclusions for wmp to avast doesnt fix it and neither does reboots or uninstalling beta 3. System restore does fix the issue but upon reinstall of beta 3 the issue is present again.
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
Let me invite you to new Beta challenge. We never did beta testing of the update process before. We encourage you to try the whole upgrade path that almost whole our userbase will have to pass when they want to migrate to the latest greatest avast 2014.
As this path is critical for users, please report any issues (and as I promised there will be some awards for Blocker issues).

Here my results from my first try with Beta3 (updated from 1497 to 2002). At first everything went well and it did look OK, but found some problems later on:
- System restore didn't work anymore (Related to the known issue: "Unable To locate Component atl110.dll")
- Windows search didn't work anymore (No error message.)
- Some programs, that are installed since years couldn't start anymore. (Also related to atl110.dll)

Sorry, no logs, as I did a clean reinstall afterwards, which fixed all issues.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

happy avast user

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »
Found a pretty big bug ill be unable to upload logs of any sort untill saturday but on my machine  (win 7 64bit sp1) with beta 3 installed windows media player will not start at all and trying to run a media file (mp4 in my case) returns the error  "C:\Users\desktop\documents ect. Server execution failed)" adding exclusions for wmp to avast doesnt fix it and neither does reboots or uninstalling beta 3. System restore does fix the issue but upon reinstall of beta 3 the issue is present again.
Hi Justin_22 I have the same issues as you with beta 3 and windows media player, I have manged to get mine working again, what I did was completely unistall beta 3 then reinstalled it my windows media player still would not start at all.
Try this http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic I followed instructions and my windows media starts and everything works again.
I would recommend intalling beta 3 first, I have the same machine as you:) and then follow the link for windows media player

I hope this helps you:)

happy avast user :)
I hope avast will look into this issue :)

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »
We just released RC1 (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=135736.0).
If you'll try the update from a8r3.1beta now then you should be updated to RC1. The issue "Unable To locate Component atl110.dll" is fixed

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 05:28:24 PM »
We just released RC1 (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=135736.0).
If you'll try the update from a8r3.1beta now then you should be updated to RC1. The issue "Unable To locate Component atl110.dll" is fixed

Any chance it fixes the windows media player bug I and another poster reported above?
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »
we now support even P3

Zen11t

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
I have a big issue:

I was update from version 8 and now I can't open the gui. After restart i get this error [pic 1] and after when iI click to avast icon this [pic 2].

Win 8 64 bit