Author Topic: Internet Connection issues  (Read 17385 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Internet Connection issues
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:03:01 PM »
FIXER, did you try what I suggested?
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 12:23:52 AM »
You kinda lost me when you said choose your internet card.  After going to Internet and Network connection, I stop since I don't know where my internet card is at.   :-*

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 01:00:23 AM »
OK, here we go... from the scratch... I believe this will be interesting since I added all those screenshots, so it should be little easier for you now...

1.) Open your CONTROL PANEL.
2.) Click on NETWORK and INTERNET CONNECTIONS

3.) Click on NETWORK CONNECTIONS icon

4.) Right click your network connection and chose PROPERTIES

5.) Click on INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP)
6.) Click on PROPERTIES

7.) Chose USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS, and type your information
8.) Also click on USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES and type in your data.

That's about it... restart your system and that should do the trick...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 01:29:50 AM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 02:48:00 AM »
Thanks Sasha... You make it very easier. It's not easy to me to make all those screenshots. Thanks for your time and help.
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 04:44:42 AM »
Sorry, it didn't work, I lost my connection and I had to reset it back to normal.   :(

I type in this:

IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 225.225.225.0
DefaultGateway: I put in the same IP as in above and also left it blank but still I lost connection.

I just put my orginal DNS Servers in the second area.

MFB

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 04:57:48 AM »
Nevermind, I just copy the IP, Gateway, DNS, and Subnet the ISP gave me and use that as my perminent IP address.  I hope that will solve the issue, thanks alot you guys for showing me how to do it.   :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 12:24:35 PM »
Sorry, it didn't work, I lost my connection and I had to reset it back to normal.   :(

I type in this:

DefaultGateway: I put in the same IP as in above and also left it blank but still I lost connection.

You can not put default gateway to be same as your internal IP address. I use mu hardware/router as gateway and it has 192.168.0.1

IP address must be in some other range, like 192.168.0.2 or above... of course it's not going to work... I think that you are experiencing problems with your ISP, or even more possible, your modem is defective. Don't think it's impossible... In my 10 years service-technician long experience, I've seen hundreds of defective modems acting just like you described. Of course it doesn't have to be in this case, because we all know how many possibilities there always is when it comes to computer problems (nevernedning story), but sure, if I was you, I would certainly check that modem. I'm surprised those guys from your ISP didn't offer to check that modem for you. If you got that modem from them, they are responsible to replace it with new one if it's defective. That's a policy in every and each ISP in Canada at least... Also, ocasianal connection break-ups, could be caused with your hardware router/firewall if you have one. Or it's again, defective router/firewall... or you just have to reset it from time to time... not all routers are equally good and effective... I've had my Barricade 7008 (SMC7008BR) and I've had so many problems with it, even it was in good working condition... there were no internal cooling inside and that made that little router overheating and forcing my connection to break. Now, I use D-Link DI-604 with latest firmware. It has internal cooling and you will never ever see that router overheat like SMC...

Sometimes, it's just sufficient to reboot your router and that solves your problem... of course if you have one and other possibilities are excluded... as I said, this could be one of those neverending stories, so we could talk about possible problems all day...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 12:33:51 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

gmundie

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 11:28:59 PM »
I disabled the web shield only, and that worked.  So what does that mean?  Can I still browse safely?

MFB

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 12:23:29 AM »

I type in this:

You can not put default gateway to be same as your internal IP address. I use mu hardware/router as gateway and it has 192.168.0.1

IP address must be in some other range, like 192.168.0.2 or above... of course it's not going to work... I think that you are experiencing problems with your ISP, or even more possible, your modem is defective. Don't think it's impossible... In my 10 years service-technician long experience, I've seen hundreds of defective modems acting just like you described. Of course it doesn't have to be in this case, because we all know how many possibilities there always is when it comes to computer problems (nevernedning story), but sure, if I was you, I would certainly check that modem. I'm surprised those guys from your ISP didn't offer to check that modem for you. If you got that modem from them, they are responsible to replace it with new one if it's defective. That's a policy in every and each ISP in Canada at least... Also, ocasianal connection break-ups, could be caused with your hardware router/firewall if you have one. Or it's again, defective router/firewall... or you just have to reset it from time to time... not all routers are equally good and effective... I've had my Barricade 7008 (SMC7008BR) and I've had so many problems with it, even it was in good working condition... there were no internal cooling inside and that made that little router overheating and forcing my connection to break. Now, I use D-Link DI-604 with latest firmware. It has internal cooling and you will never ever see that router overheat like SMC...

Sometimes, it's just sufficient to reboot your router and that solves your problem... of course if you have one and other possibilities are excluded... as I said, this could be one of those neverending stories, so we could talk about possible problems all day...

Cheers !

Oh okay then, I'm allow to get a replacment modem?  Wow I didn't know.   :o

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 12:29:22 AM »
Yes. They have to give you new one if that one is defective. Call them and bug them non-stop. You are paying all that money for stable service... ok, we can not expect to have perfectly stable service, but still... for that money, it's totally unacceptable to lose your connection every few hours... call their technical support and they must locate the problem. Even from there, they can check what gives you those problems. They have to go by the system of elimination, and finally they'll find solution.

Call them right away, and report those issues. If you already eliminated your software, and you are 100% sure your firewall and antivirus don't give you those problems, then the ball is in their field... they have to make a move now. Bottom line, they all offers those 24/7 technical support... so, why not use it ? Don't be afraid, that's your right as a valued customer.

Cheers !

MFB

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 12:33:50 AM »
Yes. They have to give you new one if that one is defective. Call them and bug them non-stop. You are paying all that money for stable service... ok, we can not expect to have perfectly stable service, but still... for that money, it's totally unacceptable to lose your connection every few hours... call their technical support and they must locate the problem. Even from there, they can check what gives you those problems. They have to go by the system of elimination, and finally they'll find solution.

Call them right away, and report those issues. If you already eliminated your software, and you are 100% sure your firewall and antivirus don't give you those problems, then the ball is in their field... they have to make a move now. Bottom line, they all offers those 24/7 technical support... so, why not use it ? Don't be afraid, that's your right as a valued customer.

Cheers !

To be honest, I call the techincal support for soo long, I bet I know every name now.  They keep showing me how to renew my IP address but I want to prevent my Default Getway from being lost.  I'll try to call them and ask for a new modem sometime, thanks for all your help.   ;D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 12:39:14 AM »
Listen to me... It looks to me like they are doing everything possible to avoid replacing of your equipment... I know how those guys usually work... they will try everything to avoid additional hassle... and that leaves you with problems, and those guys with your money (who wins ?  ::) ). Those guys on the phones just can't wait to finish their work and go home, they don't give a damn about your problems. Sad, but in most cases true...

Just call them, and tell them, you tried everything and nothing is solving your problems... and you're still paying every single second for that useless service... You have to show your attitude sometimes, because sometimes nothing else works. Tell them, you are paying for that service, and you expect to have reliable internet connection. If this continues to happen, you'll right away cancel their service and switch to some better one. Tell them, you want someone come to your house and replace that modem as soon as possible, because you refuse to pay for lousy service like that...

Cheers !