Author Topic: Web Shield  (Read 7360 times)

Antigen

Web Shield
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:19:42 PM »
I have see that now Avast use this. I have a little question. But is necessary this web proxy? The real time protection don't detect all the virus? Or this web shiled is a analyzer for the script and other? There are not some risk for privacy? Avast analyze the flow of data.....

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 09:32:32 PM »
Most web malware is designed to exploit known vulnerabilities in Windows, Internet explorer or browser plug-ins like (usually) MS Java Virtual Machine.

If, like our friend Polonus, you have all the latest updates for Windows and your browser, you can say " I'm a llama and I spit at virus & malware!"

Sadly, many computer users have not updated their OS or Browser since 2001. This is because they A: are not computer geeks like us and B: are busy with other things such as making money or chatting with their cousin in Australia.

Webshield can protect users from web based malware, and it's a useful extra layer of protection even if you do keep your OS and browser up-to-date, because one day it might just catch a nasty before it bites you on the bum!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:39:15 PM »
Frank, nicely said. I'm almost tempted to put your answer to the official FAQ :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Antigen

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:52:06 PM »
I'm a llama :D I download all the patches for all the program that I use. I need to use a update system :D Is my brain that want that :D

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 09:55:45 PM »
I'm afraid brains don't get updated. When you get older you're like a ZX Spectrum in the age of the Pentium 4! :'(
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Antigen

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 09:58:31 PM »
I want a PC up to date. I can use software that are very good, but if I don't update it with the last patch/virus library/other.... the usefull is 00000000000!!!
For that I install all the patch for all the critical program that I use :D

kamulko

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 09:58:36 PM »
The webshield is like a filter: it address  the contents from the web through some ports. You can configure your applications and browsers to use this feature. You must open the connection panel and set the webshield as a proxy.

kamulko

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 10:02:43 PM »
The most important antimalware is our brain: if we have the best of antiviruses and the best of firewalls etcetera... then we make sillies things, well, we are like warriors without armor at all. The most dangerous intruders are the "social-engineers": they use the human mistakes and behaviours most than the sophisticated softwares and hardwares.

Antigen

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 10:04:35 PM »
A software is a software.... it can help you to prevent an infection. But if you click every file.... an infection is assured :D The best Av is Brain 1.0

kamulko

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »
If I remember well, Brain 1.0 is that antivirus program with a strange, grey interface??? ahahahah LOL  ;D

Antigen

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 10:11:37 PM »
Yes the most aadvanced antivirus. A neuronal interface :D But some people don't use it :D