Author Topic: avast & norton conflicts  (Read 34646 times)

Shalft

Re: avast & norton conflicts
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2005, 12:13:29 PM »
Regardless of where a program, process or driver resides within the various system levels of an OS, it can not (or should not) assume that that it will have exclusive access to any other part of the system (other than thru system allowed mutex api's). In fact for low level system drivers, making that assumption results scenarios alot like the above example (this happend frequently in the win9x days).
So, whether or not NAV may be making assumptions (which is bad), avast does not handle the situation gracefully either (which is bad too) and from and end user point of view, it doesnt matter which programs are at fault, they just want it to work.

Face it, anti-virus are not meant to be running concurrently, just like trying to watch a DVD movie on one program, and wishing to also be able to watch it on another program concurrently. It is not an ordinary program such as MSN Messenger vs Yahoo Messenger, or IExplorer vs FireFox. You either have one install or another, in your case, NAV is the issue and it's not AV. Because NAV is nasty little *$%# program.

Also someone mention earlier, installing the anti-virus program has procedure to detect existing programs. It's fair to say that, if NAV check and ask to remove existing anti-virus upon installation of the NAV. Then it should be perfectly ok for AV to get you to remove NAV before installing AV. It is your fault for being picky and lazy, or you can go and write an email to Symantec and tell them your problem with unable to uninstall the NAV component of the SystemWorks product.

I've recommended over 200 users over the last year because NAV simply is useless and every day I get people coming in (computer repair company) with NAV install on their system and either they can't remove it due to infection of viruses even with NAV was active.

I've plan to move another 1000 over the next year from NAV or others to Avast. That's how positive I think of Avast.

And so now I recommend you to remove any Symantec products off your system, because it is not worth the risk of infection.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2005, 05:55:36 PM »
Hi teknojnky,

This is a technical fact. It is all-right to have more scanners on a machine, but one should have the upper hand, competing av-scanners is as bad a thing as two firewalls on a machine. So a good policy is one good antivirus product on your box, like AVAST, and to run a on line scan occasionally like Bitdefender or others, and get stinger.exe from the net. This is a collection  of the latest MacAFEE  virus and trojan definitions as a free standalone download to run on your machine. Be responsible on the internet, and "you never surf alone". In this manner you will be aptly secure.

Best regards from,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 02:41:13 AM »
RejZoR
100% correct. I have Systemworks on my system but, MINUS the AV part
and neither avast! nor Systemworks is complaining and or both doing their jobs in harmony.

Here too... all besides NAV  8)
The best things in life are free.

The Maxx

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 04:10:50 AM »
Well hate to tell you teknojnky but pretty much all AV's don't work with each other.  Two AV's that are using On-Access scanning at the sametime will cause conflicts.  Guess you could say they would be being heads.  Only time AVs really work together is when one or both of them is On-Demand only (such as BitDefender 7 Free Edition).

So I went go putting the blame on avast! or of course alwil at all.  It's just all AV's are this way.

teknojnky

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 06:06:28 PM »
I guess many of you are missing the point.

I am not trying to run both simultaniously.

I do not want to run both simultaniously.

I can not properly compare NAV to Avast without uninstalling NAV, which I find unacceptable.

NAV is already paid for, properly licensed and working correctly... avant is on a trial license and does not work correctly...

Disabling NAV through its standard options should be sufficient. (whether or not it is, is a different topic)

I do concede that there may (or may not) be parts of NAV that continue to load or are detected by avast which then causes avast to disable portions of itself.

I've disabled all norton start up processes and services, so any 'on access' NAV is not active. Avast still refuses to work fully, and this is the crux of my issue.

If someone knows some NAV files that continue to load which block avast, then feel free to point them out.

I do appreciate the comments and support of avast, however currently none of them solve my problem sufficiently.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 07:41:11 PM »
It is not the NAV files that continue to load but the registry entries (Legacy entries) that refer to them, since avast can't tell if they aren't going to be loaded after avast, it is forced to disable elements to ensure no conflict and or system lock up.

I can not properly compare NAV to Avast without uninstalling NAV, which I find unacceptable.

NAV is already paid for, properly licensed and working correctly... avant is on a trial license and does not work correctly...
In that case you will not be able to evaluate avast.

As has been said previously it is not avast that isn't working correctly, it is working as designed to avoid conflict/lock-ups by not having two resident scanners installed (and the subsequent blame my system locks up after I installed avast, with no mantion of the NAV also installed).

Unfortunately you are in a catch 22 situation you can't fully test avast with NAV installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »
teknojnky
Remember you aren't the only NAV Registered user. If you have a valid license, then uninstalling NAV in order to
test avast! isn't any problem. I did it. I preferred avast! and I now own avast! Pro. I still have a valid license to NAV but,
that was my choice. You'll have to make yours.
Should you decide that you like NAV better , you can always reinstall it using your valid liscense. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 08:38:19 PM by bob3160 »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

The Maxx

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 08:50:50 PM »
Well you have two main choices then.  You can either uninstall NAV to test avast! and choice the one you like best.  Or you can wait till your NAV license is expired then test avast!

I have tried a number of AVs over the years and avast! by far is the one I like best.  I've had NAV 2003 and 2004, McAfee, Dr. Web, ArcaVir, NOD32, etc  Most of them were good but theres just something about avast!  For one the tech support here is great, you get answers pretty fast.  Write Norton people and see how fast they reply, I wrote them and took days to over a week to hear from them.  alwil are always working on avast! to make it better and always listening to us to see what we want added.   :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 11:02:37 PM »
Will never work correctly if you do not uninstall NAV... This way you won't be able to compare avast. Can you use another computer?

Disabling NAV through its standard options should be sufficient.
No, it's not.

I do concede that there may (or may not) be parts of NAV that continue to load or are detected by avast which then causes avast to disable portions of itself. I've disabled all norton start up processes and services, so any 'on access' NAV is not active.
It's not true... Legacy drivers could be loaded... See: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY keys...

If someone knows some NAV files that continue to load which block avast, then feel free to point them out.
We're trying to do so...

I do appreciate the comments and support of avast, however currently none of them solve my problem sufficiently.
You can try receiving any help from Symantec on installing a second AV to test  8)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2005, 11:45:07 PM »
Hi teknojnky,

There is no problem. If you have a licensed Norton version, you can always re-install it later, if you would wish to do so. I personally would not, because I had some bad experiences with the Norton boys, although I must be fair in this, it was not their fault. It was because the Verisign boys served up something bad, that kept the upload of pages ages. That's why, but if you are happy with them, good for you. This incident made them loose  them a lot of customers, poor devils.

Greetings,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2005, 05:35:42 PM »
whoa... that first message was kinda cold  ;D ;D and funny
but i'm on my "testing version of my pc"
Norton and Mcafee seems fine with my avast
yea Norton is a hog of my system resources
every time Norton would appear with one of their messages saying like lexxps.exe or something like that is waiting for a scan. I wonder why it does that because that freezes my netscape browser.

cheers every1,
tim

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2005, 05:52:46 PM »
Norton and Mcafee seems fine with my avast
What do you mean, they firewall or all the antivirus program?
Are you using more than one antivirus at the same time in the same computer?  :o

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2005, 11:02:05 PM »
yea I know it sounds weird but antivirus and firewall
I haven't been caring for my computer ever since:
When I first got I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING(besides double-clicking and the basics such as typing in stuff and pressing buttons)
the scary thing was I didn't even use a firewall
then my computer started to really break down so I'm kinda using it as a test computer for now ( even if I recover it it seems that the hidden files in the recovery partition might be corrupted because even if I recover, my computer will still have some errors )
so I'm kinda just trying to check which is best for me and then on
year 2006 around early February, which will be my lucky time, I will do a full "fix" on my computer and install the software I found to be useful

but if anyone thinks that using all that together is really bad please tell me because two firewalls and two AV clash

thanks,
tim ;D

MFB

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2005, 11:04:31 PM »
yea I know it sounds weird but antivirus and firewall
I haven't been caring for my computer ever since:
When I first got I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING(besides double-clicking and the basics such as typing in stuff and pressing buttons)
the scary thing was I didn't even use a firewall
then my computer started to really break down so I'm kinda using it as a test computer for now ( even if I recover it it seems that the hidden files in the recovery partition might be corrupted because even if I recover, my computer will still have some errors )
so I'm kinda just trying to check which is best for me and then on
year 2006 around early February, which will be my lucky time, I will do a full "fix" on my computer and install the software I found to be useful

but if anyone thinks that using all that together is really bad please tell me because two firewalls and two AV clash

thanks,
tim ;D

Dude, think of all the RAM you're wasting, not to mention the conflicts you're gonna have pretty soon.   ::) ;D

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2005, 11:08:47 PM »
that was a pretty quick response, after reading what Igor said,I'm pretty spooked because I really don't want my recovery files to be messed up. I'm uninstalling the extras before shutting down, as recovering is always my last hope after my comp messes up