Author Topic: * Introducing * - pre-release version of upcoming avast update (4.6.663)  (Read 30121 times)

RJARRRPCGP

Hi *,

here I'm again. An avast Home/Pro update is coming soon and it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update.

How to install it (for starters - most people already know this trick anyway ): simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe . That's about all it takes.

Fixes in this update include better WebShield compatibility (e.g. with HotMail), enhacements in the scanning engine (unpackers), minor changes in the device drivers and the ability of the Standard Shield to scan remote files even if the avast service is running under the LocalSystem account.

Any comments on this release are welcome. :)

Thanks
Vlk

OK, I have a problem, the file downloaded isn't the full package!!! It's just a small file that then bitched at me about Avast not being installed. Are people required to install an earlier version of Avast first?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yes, you need to have avast installed, aswbeta.exe is just the start of the process, it kicks off the update to download the new modified beta elements. Once the update to the beta version is complete you will need to reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

VPS Updates for the beta seems to be a bit more faster than the 5.6.53  :)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
So what? I didn't say it has worse detection, did I?

By "scanning less" I just mean scanning smaller parts of files. It doesn't necessarily have to imply worse detection capabilities, if the virus database is built accordingly.

And about my question?
You only asked one question '?'

I'm talking about this one:

The connection timeout issue with Thunderbird are fixed?
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

justin1278

When there is a new version of this beta version will it update automatically?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
I asked this question during the last beta.

As I recall, the answer was that, once you joined the beta program, the update functions would continue to update your system, according to your update options, with the updates to the beta version. 

You remain in the beta program until the new release is announced at which point you revert to the normal update schedule. 

When the next beta is announced you can opt-in again if you choose.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

Sorry, I didn't scroll back far enough thought you were talking about you last post.

Some are reporting that the time-outs in OE are resolved, but I haven't seen any reports about Thunderbird, yet. Perhaps someone who has these timeout problems with Thunderbird would join the beta trial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

r1cky

Works fine so far  ;D

Win xp pro +sp2, Google Web Accelerator, Google desktop search, Firefox 1.0.4 cpu enhanced edition / IE / Opera / Netscape 8.0.1 / Mozilla SeaMonkey (Gecko Broswer)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster

Sorry, I didn't scroll back far enough thought you were talking about you last post.

Some are reporting that the time-outs in OE are resolved, but I haven't seen any reports about Thunderbird, yet. Perhaps someone who has these timeout problems with Thunderbird would join the beta trial.
No problem ;)

I'll try it...
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Just downloaded my first BETA. I want to ask. When the final version will be realeased, my avast beta will be updated again automatically??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yes, but you will probably read about it here and you can do a manual update and get a jump on those who don't view the forums. Until then you will receive the beta updates automatically.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
So from now I just can use automatic update and it will check for beta or even final realease?  ???

Offline xistenz

• Poster
So from now I just can use automatic update and it will check for beta or even final realease? ???

That's right. If another beta version version is released before the final one, your avast will be updated with the new beta. When the final version is released, avast will update itself again to the final version

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Can we expect a bit better detection rate with new unpackers with current signatures? No need for detailed percentage,just if this works as i think it does. Or we'll see better results only with latest signatures released after v4.6.663?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Thunderbird Timeouts

I'm using the beta release so to further the cause of research I have just removed my override of the timeout in Thunderbird, it is now back at the default value.

BTW Avast scanning of large outgoing messages with Outlook Express does cause timeout alerts to the user (every 60 seconds) that are not seen by the user if Avast is not involved.  Avast blocks the acknowledgements that OE expects to see from the SMTP server.  This is not a new issue with the beta but does continue with it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 12:43:21 AM by alanrf »