Author Topic: avast - antispam provider ?  (Read 3859 times)

bahes

avast - antispam provider ?
« on: May 19, 2005, 11:40:47 PM »
Are you considering implementing ANTISPAM solution (provider) ?
I have spent over a month in searching solution that doesnt interfere with avast antivirus (installs it self as POP3 server) but havent found any...
There are some excellent plugins for Outlook Express but they are all commercial.

I think that implementing ANTISPAM solution in avast antivirus is inevitable step.

Do you agree and what are your thoughts on this ?

Best regards!
Boris Bahes.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast - antispam provider ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 12:49:41 AM »
As far as I'm aware there are no intentions to implement an antispam tool. There are many freeware and paid for options out there.

I use MailWasher Pro, although it is primarily for Spam it is also easy to deal with suspicious emails too. There is a free version, but this only works with a single email account. The Pro version works with multiple accounts.

I use it independently of avast, an IgnoreProcess=MailWasher.exe in the MailScanner section of avast4.ini. I believe having the limited part of an email which is view as a text file (without attachments) is a very limited risk and an unnecessary overhead.

There are a number of suitable antispam programs you can integrate to work with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 02:57:24 AM »
As David said, I never heard this...

I have spent over a month in searching solution that doesnt interfere with avast antivirus (installs it self as POP3 server) but havent found any...
There are some excellent plugins for Outlook Express but they are all commercial.
No, they aren't. There are Spamihilator that works perfectly with avast. There are SpamPal. Both free. I tested and use the first with easy and joy  8)
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 04:13:37 AM »
I don't use Antispam, I set my hotmail filter to extreme.   :) Making a avast! Antispam seems to be a bit too much for avast! to handle, it will take alot of resources and plus there are already alot of antispam programs out there that are suitable for avast!  ;D

bahes

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 08:06:54 AM »
As David said, I never heard this...

No, they aren't. There are Spamihilator that works perfectly with avast. There are SpamPal. Both free. I tested and use the first with easy and joy  8)

I have tried Spamihilator but it doesnt seem to work...
Can you post me some info on how to configure it?

Thanks!

bahes

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:09:51 AM »
sorry dont bother...I have found here on forum topic on that.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 08:48:01 AM »
I think that implementing ANTISPAM solution in avast antivirus is inevitable step.
Do you agree and what are your thoughts on this ?

I don't think it's a good idea. Let's avast team works on viruses, not trash in someone's mail. I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird, and it has I coul'd say reallly good junk mail filter, as sometimes it sorts my mail even to much.  ;D